View Full Version : Windows Media Full Screen

ultimate_ed
01-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Alright, finally got my Axim and I've been doing a lot of playing. Happy so far, except for one area - Windows Media

I've re-rendered some of my Adobe Premiere projects of my baby girl so that I can play then on my Axim. I'm rendering at 320x240x30fps with a total bandwidth of about 240kbs. I've tried using both V7 anv V8 codecs for video and it no worka.

I set the Player to full screen and to rotate the playback, so I get the full 320x240 viewable window. When I play a file, the video just hangs on the first frame, while the audio plays all the way through. It will then jump to the last frame at the end of the video.

Seems like the Axim ought to have plenty of horsepower to do this playback, so I have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong in the rendering. Any new tips appreciated - the Adobe user to user forums have been pretty much useless on this one.

Thanks

Rirath
01-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Well, I'm honestly not sure what would cause it to hang on the first frame short of the wrong codec... I haven't done enough with WMV to recommend the right one.

One advice I could give for when you do get it working though is you might not get 30fps out of that. Try lowing the fps to say, 24 or even less. May also try lowering the res and just stretching it. It's not that the Dell is slow on playback though, it's great. Video playback takes more processor power than you might think. There's also Pocket TV and Pocket DIVX (MVP now) to try. WMV is probably the best place to start.

ultimate_ed
01-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Looks like it just doesn't care for fullscreen (ie 320x240 resolution) playback.

I've tried encoding it a bunch of different ways. The best results I got were with 320x240, 15fps, 200Kbps total bandwidth (audio = 16Kbps) and 1 second keyframe interval, with quality set to 0 (maximum smoothness)

Even at that, the playback is still fairly jerky, but passable. It's definitely a resolution issue. I can run the same 200Kbps total bandwidth, but at 160x120 (quarter screen) and it plays flawlessly. Even when I kick the total bandwidth down to 100Kbps at 320x240, it's still very choppy.

This resolution looks sharp and clear on the display, but its definitely not nearly as impressive as being able to run fullscreen. Guess I'll keep testing, but for now, looks like I'm stuck with 160x120.

Well, as a final check, I just changed my setting to never run fullscreen and shrink to fit window. My 320x240 at 200Kbps, 320x240 at 100Kbps, and 160x120 at 200Kbps all playback at 160x120 and run smoothly and flawlessly and I can't tell the difference between the three. (all are running at 15fps)

Rirath
01-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Before you give up completely, try pocket tv and Pocket MVP (divx). Pocket TV classic is free, but Enterprise is $60 and has some Xscale enhancements that'll give you at least 4+ fps more over the classic. I've got full screen video to run pretty well on the axim after enough testing. To save yourself some encoding time, download some clips from Pocketmovies.net (http://www.pocketmovies.net)

ultimate_ed
01-07-2003, 02:14 AM
I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.