View Full Version : Yahoo mesg. for a Toshiba e740

kelvinator288
01-05-2003, 04:06 AM
Does anyone know if there is a version of yahoo messenger that will work on a Toshiba e740 :?:

daninnj
01-05-2003, 04:17 AM
http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/ce/downloads_ce_msgr.html

DanInNJ

Cortex
01-05-2003, 05:26 AM
yahoo for pocket pc was killed last summer

you can still find the program around but it wont connect

the same is true for jabberce (a universal messaging program that goes through a separate server). none of the servers support yahoo.

i think they decided to let microsoft have the pocketpc which is too bad because i like messenger better. the other problem is yahoo has been pushing ads much more over the last year and added IMvironments -- basically backgrounds (that are actually ads). the latest versions of messenger are incompatible with older versions of desktop yahoo and probably the ce yahoo messenger as well -- another reason they dumped ce.

67stang
01-08-2003, 07:52 AM
so what is the deal with yahoo IM for PPC? Its obviously up and available for download (above link) and it installs fine, it even connects so far as to download your buddy list, but it stops there... no connectivity insofar as to actually chat with someone.

what gives? are there other IM clients for the ppc?

Kati Compton
01-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Yahoo has changed the way the IMing works several times (probably due to uberIM clients....) I switched to Trillian a while ago and had to keep downloading new versions for a while. When I tried my old copy of Y! Messenger (desktop), it also did not work anymore. Probably also because it was a really old version that didn't have ads. So the forced upgrade means that old versions of the client won't work.

rave
01-08-2003, 09:03 AM
YM for PPC works fine on my unit. The catch is that you need to fill in the "Proxy Server" field in the configuration with a valid server name.

67stang
01-08-2003, 09:49 AM
YM for PPC works fine on my unit. The catch is that you need to fill in the "Proxy Server" field in the configuration with a valid server name.

such as what? i am not on a proxy server, and am using a wireless lan at home.

BWBlackett
01-08-2003, 02:18 PM
yahoo for pocket pc was killed last summer

you can still find the program around but it wont connect

the same is true for jabberce (a universal messaging program that goes through a separate server). none of the servers support yahoo.

i think they decided to let microsoft have the pocketpc which is too bad because i like messenger better. the other problem is yahoo has been pushing ads much more over the last year and added IMvironments -- basically backgrounds (that are actually ads). the latest versions of messenger are incompatible with older versions of desktop yahoo and probably the ce yahoo messenger as well -- another reason they dumped ce.

JabberCE works fine on my Loox - I only downloaded it yesterday.....

Brian.

kelvinator288
01-11-2003, 02:01 AM

such as what? i am not on a proxy server, and am using a wireless lan at home.

Ok now that were on to a possible means of yahoo mesg. working on my PPC, any ideas on where I can find the server name is it my provider or what?
Thanks for the encouraging news

Cortex
01-11-2003, 02:26 AM
jabberce runs but you will see that all of the jabber servers that say they support yahoo actually do not once you connect.

i think yahoo is dead.

has anyone been able to actually chat with yahoo messenger on their handheld recently???

rave
01-11-2003, 04:22 AM
I discovered this one when I was testing YM through a cradle connection. On my office network, everything went fine since we had a proxy server. On my home PC, however, YM won't connect. What I did was get AnalogX Proxy and configured my home PC to be a proxy, and that's when YM worked again.

When you're on a wireless connection, I think the only chance right now is when your network provides a proxy server. If you're the network admin, you're in luck since all you have to do is configure a proxy. If not, I guess we'll have to wait until someone writes a "self-proxy" program for PPC.

67stang
01-13-2003, 08:34 PM
I discovered this one when I was testing YM through a cradle connection. On my office network, everything went fine since we had a proxy server. On my home PC, however, YM won't connect. What I did was get AnalogX Proxy and configured my home PC to be a proxy, and that's when YM worked again.

When you're on a wireless connection, I think the only chance right now is when your network provides a proxy server. If you're the network admin, you're in luck since all you have to do is configure a proxy. If not, I guess we'll have to wait until someone writes a "self-proxy" program for PPC.

bery binteresting....!
I will see if i can set up a proxy at home. thanks

kelvinator288
01-24-2003, 04:17 AM
If your patient and want to really get hooked up on yahoo or Aol mesg. the jabber software well work if you find the right servers. But I wish I could find a copy of the AOL mesg. for Win CE to see if it works any better.

Bill Harrison
02-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Well, I can verify that Yahoo Messenger DOES work if you setup a Proxy server on your home network. I can connect wirelessly by running the proxy program on my PC. Problem is: A: I have to have the big pc on while I use yahoo on the wireless, so i may as well just use the main pc since it has a real keyboard

So, as of right now its kind of useless.

But, it does in fact work.

PS...

I am pretty computer savvy, but I have no clue just what a "proxy" server actually does, and why this allows Yahoo to work. Anyone care to share any info they know?

Cortex
07-25-2003, 04:54 PM

you were correct..

t-mobile offers a proxy server and when i tried it with on my pocket pc phone, yahoo! messenger worked perfectly....

BUT, it quit working in late June, 2003. i dont think any of the settings on my device have changed.

is messenger still working for you now?