View Full Version : Unrelated comments

kaiden.1
01-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Don't use AOL; Don't like AOL.

Thank goodness I have other e-mail options!

Sorry for those of you who are stuck!

Ed Hansberry
01-04-2003, 10:31 PM

Then this would have been a thread you ignore. :roll:

Rirath
01-04-2003, 11:29 PM

Then this place would get dull awful fast and be like everyplace else. :?
No one comments on anything, no one cares what anyone else says.

Janak Parekh
01-04-2003, 11:37 PM

Then this place would get dull awful fast and be like everyplace else. :?
No one comments on anything, no one cares what anyone else says.
Ed's point is that the parent poster had nothing to contribute, either positive or negative, about the situation. If they had said "I suggest you choose ISP X, they're cheap and their email is accessible", it would have been worthwhile. Saying "Don't use AOL" is tantamount to me posting on this thread that "I don't use email, I don't like email, sorry if you're stuck".

Anyway, let's stay on topic folks... :)

--janak

Rirath
01-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Ed's point is that the parent poster had nothing to contribute, either positive or negative, about the situation. If they had said "I suggest you choose ISP X, they're cheap and their email is accessible", it would have been worthwhile. Saying "Don't use AOL" is tantamount to me posting on this thread that "I don't use email, I don't like email, sorry if you're stuck".

That could certainly be argued... the suggestion to switch ISPs was certainly implied. A feeling of concern was shown, and if posts are allowed daily saying nothing more than "way to go" or "congrats", "sorry if you're stuck" seems fine by me too. He contributed a negative to the subject of AOL and email, while contributing a positive to the poster. The problem is he did it straight to the point without wasting so many words. :) Alright, I had to try. :wink:

Ed Hansberry
01-05-2003, 12:07 AM
The difference Rirath is he wasn't asking about ISPs. He, as an AOL user, had found a solution that has been dogging people for months on various boards, how to check AOL email with a Pocket PC 2002 device.

It would be like saying "Hey, here is a modem for the Toshiba e310" and someone replying "Don't have a 310, don't like the 310, glad I don't have it. Sorry for all those stuck with it."

Not only does that not contribute to the thread, it detracts from it. If you don't use AOL, or don't have a 310, stay away from those threads unless you have a positive contribution.

Now, if someone had said "Hey, looking for a Pocket PC, thinking about the e310. Got any comments?" then yes, totally different, speak up.

Rirath
01-05-2003, 01:51 AM
The funny thing is his solution is to use another ISP, bringing ISPs into the conversation. :)
As for asking... like I ever wait for anyone to ask. :wink:

It would be like saying "Hey, here is a modem for the Toshiba e310" and someone replying "Don't have a 310, don't like the 310, glad I don't have it. Sorry for all those stuck with it."

Hmm, personally I'm not a fan of the 310... I'd agree and suggest the person go with a Dell. If I did like the 310 however, I'd tell him I'm perfectly happy being stuck with my 310 and that perhaps he should try a Dell instead. :wink:

It's not all that difficult to stick up for yourself or what you like and still get along. I love my cable modem. It's the best thing I've ever saw in terms of speed. However, if someone came and said they don't like cable modems, the answer is simple. I'd suggest they try DSL, it doesn't have the shared bandwidth issues that plague many areas but seem non-existant in mine. It's a great alternative, for around the same price. The downside being you probably won't have as high of a max downstream and maybe a dynamic IP depending on your provider. Failing that, the old stand by... ignore them.

As for the original post, some people don't feel like giving a long essay about why. "I don't like cable modems" would trust the readers ability to figure out other broadband alternatives. Not everyone is willing to put the effort of 3 paragraphs into a simple post. So long as it's civil and not "AO-SMELL suxx0rs!!!", I can't see the crime. :)

Steven Cedrone
01-05-2003, 02:03 AM
The funny thing is his solution is to use another ISP, bringing ISPs into the conversation. :)
As for asking... like I ever wait for anyone to ask. :wink:

Hmm, personally I'm not a fan of the 310... I'd agree and suggest the person go with a Dell. If I did like the 310 however, I'd tell him I'm perfectly happy being stuck with my 310 and that he should try a Dell. :wink:

Boy, I can't believe someone called you "antagonistic" today. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Steve

Joking: Don't unleash the wrath of Rirath on me... :lol:

Rirath
01-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Boy, I can't believe someone called you "antagonistic" today. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Steve

Joking: Don't unleash the wrath of Rirath on me... :lol:

Now this, I can agree with. :D Actually, I'm just having a good time. I hope *cough* certain people *cough* don't feel I've lost my temper and am raging against everyone or anything way off base like that. I'm just havin fun. :wink:

ECOslin
01-05-2003, 02:53 AM
AOL was 'the internet with training wheels' for some of us, 7 or so years ago. Then I moved to a dial-up ISP(Mindspring) and hence to ATT cable.

Although some folk voice disparagingly about it, it's a doorway that gets newcomers on the true path.

I know of a full-sized Hotel that relies on AOL for their corporate mail, of their 60 people staff only the business department uses the 'limit of 7' email accounts.

It's easy, self-contained, self-updating and self-repairing(mostly). Some business person is told to be on the road tomorrow and to report in by the internet and that person had no real experience of using the internet or whatever, if they didn't have their IT department set it up for them, that person could set up an AOL account in less than an hour and likely be using it.

It works for some people, at this period of my experience I myself would not go to AOL as my first choice, maybe 'Netzero', but I might keep it as my hold card.

Rirath
01-05-2003, 03:37 AM
It's easy, self-contained, self-updating and self-repairing(mostly).

I'm curious if this comes from AOL members you've spoken with recently or fond memories of days gone by. 7 years ago maybe, but these days every AOL user I know is jumping ship and complaining very loudy while doing so. Self repairing? Perhaps... but you don't say that after it spontaneously self destructs, repairing itself is a good thing. :wink:

Pony99CA
01-05-2003, 04:09 AM

Did this thread get moved? It looks like it should be part of the AOL Mail thread, but it's not. :?:

If it was, I agree with Ed. Kaiden.1 didn't add anything. I hope Kaiden.2 will be released soon. :lol:

On the other hand, if Kaiden.1 created this thread, I don't have an issue with it. It appears to be the first post in a new thread in the Off-Topic area, so it's not inappropriate there.

So which is it?

Steve

P.S. Oh, yeah. As usual, I disagree with most everything Rirath said. :rofl:

Rirath
01-05-2003, 04:21 AM
So which is it?

Steve

P.S. Oh, yeah. As usual, I disagree with most everything Rirath said. :rofl:

It was moved... :| :cry: :lol:

ECOslin
01-05-2003, 04:27 AM
fond memories of days gone by. 7 years ago maybe

I just realized they're up to version 8, I had used version 5, perhaps without as many advertisements and pop-ups as I believe the current versions have. When the program could comfortably reside on a 1.2 gig drive, once apon a time.

Still no rampaging subscribers have mobbed together and torched the offices of AOL/Time-Warner, yet(Hey, I'm not trying to give anyone ideas!).

Rirath
01-05-2003, 04:39 AM
Still no rampaging subscribers have mobbed together and torched the offices of AOL/Time-Warner, yet(Hey, I'm not trying to give anyone ideas!).

Depends on if we're talking members or stock holders. :wink:

disconnected
01-05-2003, 04:40 AM
I find AOL kind of annoying (mostly because they've withdrawn support for PocketPC), but it does have its uses. I have a cable modem at home, but use AOL when I'm traveling and not staying at a hotel with ethernet connections. So far, almost everywhere I've been, there's been a local AOL number, and even on the one occasion I can remember when there wasn't one (Bar Harbor, ME), I could still use the 800 number for access. To me, that's worth the monthly charge; that, and the fact that I'm too lazy to change my email address :oops:

I don't have any problems with their ads or the 'walled-garden' aspect, because after logging on with AOL I just open my IE browser and ignore AOL altogether.

Pony99CA
01-05-2003, 07:31 AM
I just realized they're up to version 8, I had used version 5, perhaps without as many advertisements and pop-ups as I believe the current versions have. When the program could comfortably reside on a 1.2 gig drive, once apon a time.

Well, first, I don't get any AOL pop-ups, and haven't in years. If you go to Keyword: MarketingPrefs (I think), you can turn off the AOL pop-ups. Web site pop-ups are another matter, of course.

Also, AOL is no longer accepting pop-up ads from non-Time-Warner companies because users hate them so.

Finally, AOL can still confortably fit on a 1.2 GB drive -- if anybody even uses those anymore. I just checked AOL 8.0, and it took 78.2 MB. Just in case it's using some of my AOL 7.0 installation, I checked that, too. AOL 7.0 is taking 104 MB.

Steve