View Full Version : When PPC 2003 OS?

TJ
01-04-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm likely going to switch from my Visor Deluxe to an iPAQ 1910 (these things change, though, with time :) ). I tried to get an order in (through Staples, via work) but they are sold out for a while. Of course, the Staples 2 miles away had two in stock, but it doesn't work that way.

I am not a power user (i.e. fairly ignorant/naive about PPC), but am concerned, as I've read a few others are, about the low level of ROM and RAM on the iPAQ (16 and 32 Mb I think). Not in terms of current usage, but in terms of upgrading to PPC 2003 OS.

I read that PPC 2002 came out in October 2001, and that it was supposed said (or rumored?) that a new OS would come out about every 18 months (March-April 2003?). I am getting by with my Visor, so I'm considering waiting for the new OS, which would be integrated, presumably, into an iPAQ 1910 type machine. The 1910 as it is now might not be "upgradable" (if that is really a word).

Microsoft is unlikely to annouce such things too far in advance, I realize, or we might all wait two or three months, and they couldn't clear their inventory. But has anyone heard anything in regards to timing? Is there a website where they keep track of this?

Thanks.

Rirath
01-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Personally I think the 1910 is a risk. Have you perhaps checked into the 300mhz Dell Axim? You'll get dual slots and a 100mhz faster Xscale, among other things. My complete guess is the 1910 will be upgradeable, just lacking many features. There's also the v35 to look into if size is really a top concern of yours. I consider that a better device than the 1910 as well, but Dell still tops my list.

As for Staples, if you have a store closer to you I know they can transfer items between stores. But yeah, the online stock and instore stock are completely different. Oh... two... thought that was twenty. Any reason you're against getting it in person?

TJ
01-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Seemed to me that the iPAQ 1910 would have a track record, with the Compaqs, versus the Viewsonic. While there is no telling, I've heard the quality is definitely high on the iPAQ. I not locked into anything at this point.

Form factor definitely counts a lot for me, personally. I often don't have my Visor with me now, because of the size, and I believe that the Axim is about the same size. I don't need the Axim, though I admit I am thinking about it. Its much simpler, though, to say the least, for me to purchase through Staples (a blanket account through work) than the Dell.

I know the 1910 should be "upgradable", I have little doubt the Axim will be (a plus in its favor), but it's less of a sure thing with the 1910.

TJ

Janak Parekh
01-04-2003, 09:27 PM
I know the 1910 should be "upgradable", I have little doubt the Axim will be (a plus in its favor), but it's less of a sure thing with the 1910.
There's no guarantees of anything, unfortunately :(

If form factor is more important than likely upgradability, go for the 1910, and even if isn't upgradable it should be a serviceable unit for quite some time to come.

--janak

Cortex
01-04-2003, 09:47 PM
i second janaks thoughts

before i saw a 1910 in person i thought it would probably comparable to the v35, but the 1910 is definately a POCKET pc.

it does have drawbacks such as less memory, slower processor, and i doubt its upgradable -- just a guess. in its favor is it small size, clean design, and nice screen. its probably the best looking ppc -- leaving out the the htc/t-mobile phone of course ;)

TJ
01-04-2003, 11:17 PM
I agree with Janak also, that I really would not lose by getting the iPAQ now. But to address the original question, has anyone heard anything about when the next version of the PPC OS will be out?

Thanks

Rirath
01-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Word is Spring 2k3, but who knows really.

BryGuy
01-05-2003, 12:04 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. Seems a bit funny that we haven't heard any rumors about the new OS. Like all their others, there's usually a nickname/codename associated with the new OS, and pre-reviews/rumors about what it would include and or changes to come.

Now that PPC 2002 is so established, I sure hope the new OS install/upgrade routine will allow us to pick and choose which apps we want installed. Space is such a premium nowadays. There are apps I sure wish I could just delete out, even from a hard reset.

BryGuy

TJ
01-05-2003, 12:11 AM
I had missed it when I posted this question, but elsewhere on this site are predictions for 2003 (FooFighter?) which include (buried somewhere in the 6 pages of comments) mention of Windows CE or some other possible moniker (I've forgotten what). Also included are a number of predictions for the new OS in Spring 2003, as mentioned in this thread. Also, the concern about just which units may have upgrade options, and guesses which units will not.

seanturner
01-05-2003, 03:50 AM
I've heard some stuff about abondoning PPC and going for Windows XP Embedded. Any thoughts on if that would work with the current hardware?