View Full Version : Static IP

Fzara
01-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering if you all can help me out with a huge favor.

Im currently having some major problems with, yes, laugh, my home network. I have a laptop comptuer running XP Home connected to a Linksys router (the wired kind, not wireless), and I have my router on static IP.

I'm trying to connect my desktop running 98SE now, and I specified the DNS servers, and I have specified an IP for the computer (192.168.1.102) within the network. I also setup the installed gateway as 192.168.1.1, which is the router's address.

I have the required protocols installed on the desktop, and I specified the host as the computer's name (Mom's computer. It seems that DNS requires a Host name for Win98SE). Its also odd, that I can see my mom's computer from my laptop, yet cannot access it, but I cannot see the laptop on the desktop(Network Neighborhood).

I was wondering if someone knew more about this, and could kindly help me out.

Thanks a bunch.

Ed Hansberry
01-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Just curious, why are you fooling with DNS and static IPs? I leave my Linksys on DHCP. Once assigned, my IPs never change on the machines because there are only 3 - two PCs and a PPC - that access it. Let your ISP handle DNS. IP, DNS, WINS, Gateway are all automatic in my XP network config.

Fzara
01-04-2003, 06:25 PM
I heard static IP's were more secure and stable. I also at times host an FTP, so static I would think would be neccessary.

I updated the router firmware 2 months ago to the current version, and suddenly the laptop and desktop stopped working.

Ed Hansberry
01-04-2003, 07:21 PM
I heard static IP's were more secure and stable. I also at times host an FTP, so static I would think would be neccessary.

I updated the router firmware 2 months ago to the current version, and suddenly the laptop and desktop stopped working.
No, no more stable. 192.168.x.x in internally addressable anyway. Your ISP is likely changing your external IP with their DHCP server. You generally have to pay more for a static external IP address, which still has nothing to do with your internal addresses your router are providing.

seanturner
01-04-2003, 08:38 PM
They are more stable in the sense that if you set a computer in the DMZ, if you have a static ip it will stay in the DMZ. The same is true for port forwards. The linksys routers are not capapble of dynamically assigning static IP addresses based on hardware MAC address unfortunately.

Ed Hansberry
01-04-2003, 08:47 PM
They are more stable in the sense that if you set a computer in the DMZ, if you have a static ip it will stay in the DMZ. The same is true for port forwards. The linksys routers are not capapble of dynamically assigning static IP addresses based on hardware MAC address unfortunately.
True, but the Linksys has a range of 155 IP addresses. Unless you have a lot of computers on and off, you will always get the same IP assigned. That said, the big thing is still overcoming the Dynamic IP your ISP assigns. THere are DNS forwarding software that will help with that, but that looks at your PCs IP, which in this case is 192.168.x.x, and is no good. I don't know if it can determine your routers external IP.

that_kid
01-04-2003, 08:48 PM
The linksys routers are not capapble of dynamically assigning static IP addresses based on hardware MAC address unfortunately.

Not by mac address but If you have the firewall router then you can assign a computer to dmz by using the dmz port on the back of the router.

seanturner
01-05-2003, 12:05 AM
I'm pretty sure there is no DMZ port. I have a BEFW11S4 and the one without the wireless and neither have a DMZ port... Are you sure its not an uplink port to plug into another switch?

Fzara
01-05-2003, 12:10 AM
same here. For my router, (4 ports+NAT firewall) there is no DMZ port.

I resetted everything back to dynamic, and the laptop works, but the desktop still doesnt connect. The desktop cant even access 192.168.1.1, the router's default IP (device IP address).

I went to command-ipconfig, and start-run-winipcfg, and found out that my IP address is 169.XXX.XXX, while it should be 192.168.1.101.
I let the desktop obtain an IP by itself, and specified the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 (again, the router). WINS is disabled, and NETBIOS, IPX, TCP/IP, and the Network adapter are all listed under protocols.

I dont understand what else can be the problem since ive tried nearly everything.

Thanks

Ed Hansberry
01-05-2003, 12:15 AM
in the winipconfig app, select the Release All then Renew All button.

that_kid
01-05-2003, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty sure there is no DMZ port. I have a BEFW11S4 and the one without the wireless and neither have a DMZ port... Are you sure its not an uplink port to plug into another switch?
Sorry about the confusion but the firewall router I meant was the linksys befsx41. This is the only version that has a dmz port on the back. Both my befsr41 and befvp41 have only lan and uplink ports on them.

seanturner
01-13-2003, 04:36 AM
Oh, yeah, lol. I have though made a personal resolution to stay away from everything Linksys.

I have had three broken basestations, and one PCI card which fried two PCI slots. It stopped working in one PC, so I tried it in another one. It worked for about an hour in that PC and then stopped working. I tried to put my wired network card back in that PC and it didn't work. I tried a couple of other network card to no avail. I tried some other cards in the PCI slot in the original computer and that slot was fried too. I contacted linksys and they say that that's impossible unless I forced the card in the wrong way...

seanturner
01-13-2003, 04:36 AM
Oh, and my friend has also had 2 linksys NAS drives break on him. Has anyone else had similar experiences?