View Full Version : Is Something Wrong? - Full Back Up Over USB takes 70 minutes

Martin I Pettinger
01-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi

I have just installed SP3 on my iPAQ 3850 - it seems to have worked okay - now have WMP 8.5 and Bliss Today Theme.

I have also done a new full back up as ROM has been updated and it takes 70 minutes using USB on my W2000 laptop.

Now I seem to recall an article - maybe davepda.com that said full back up should take 30 minutes over USB.

Why does a full back up take this long - is there a setting somewhere to speed my USB connection up?

Martin

Mona13
01-04-2003, 06:10 PM
I've noticed a backup on my PC always takes a long time, but I've never timed it. I don't use that option anymore for Main Memory because it takes too long. But I do backup my SD card to my PC using cut & paste though.

Now I back up to an SD storage card with iPAQ Backup, (Sprite backup if it didn't come with the 38xx series). I have a card that I only do backups on and I leave it at home, just in case my iPAQ is lost or stolen.

I also sync daily. My iPAQ does an unattended backup during the night every night to File Store using iPAQ Backup. Originally the software did not allow unattended backups, but they have updated and it works great. It will also do unattended backups to a storage card. I don't remember if the 38xx has File Store or not.

Very quick backups, especially when backing up to an SD card.

jt3
01-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Backups vary based, unsurprisingly, on the amount of data you have installed. If you have a lot of programs and/or a lot of data stored in RAM, 70 minutes is not unusual. I can't remember exactly, so don't deluge me with eMails to the contrary, but I seem to remember that it took around an hour for 10MB shown as "in use" on the Memory page. Backing up to an SD card will be MUCH faster.

BTW, the 3800 series does have a ROM filestore, as has every other iPAQ, at least since the 3100 series, but it's not extremely large. If you have a lot of data installed, your backup may be too big for the filestore. If it will fit, though, that's another good (and fast) spot for it.

Also, Mona13 obviously has a 3900 or 5400 series iPAQ. The 3800 series does NOT have iPAQ Backup. Not a big deal if you're wanting a full backup anyway. iPAQ Backup simply allows more control over what's backed up. I find that I simply backup everything that the 3800s did (that is, everything except filestore and memory cards).

vincentsiaw
01-07-2003, 04:57 AM
70 minutes is normal, trust me, especially if you have a lot of mazinggo or avantgo channel......