View Full Version : MSN Messenger -- what port???

Cortex
01-03-2003, 10:57 PM
does anyone know what port MSN Messenger uses?

Steven Cedrone
01-03-2003, 11:09 PM
does anyone know what port MSN Messenger uses?

From the MSN Messenger page:

What do I do if I have a firewall?

No matter what kind of firewall you have, you will need to configure it to allow the computers within it to open outgoing TCP sockets to allow your network users to use MSN Messenger Service. Computers on the internal local area network will need access to the Domain Name System (DNS) servers to resolve the names of external hosts such as microsoft.hotmail.com. As network administrator, you need to do the following:

• To enable the use of MSN Messenger Service: Open outgoing TCP Port 1863, and configure it so that sockets on this port are open for extended periods of time.

Steve

Cortex
01-03-2003, 11:30 PM
i came across that site but i think thats for desktop version.

i tried that port number in the proxy without success and i couldnt find any technical information about pocket messenger.

Steven Cedrone
01-03-2003, 11:39 PM
If you don't mind me asking: What are you trying to do / What is not working???

Steve

Cortex
01-03-2003, 11:48 PM
i have a t-mobile pocket pc phone that i got from amazon (great deal -- excellent handheld!)

out of the box i could connect to the internet but the connections were slow and unreliable. i eventually came across a t-mobile tip/tricks page that explained the phone had to be configured through a proxy by creating a new connection with a new "modem", then proxy getmorespeed.voicestream.com with port 8080.

i did this and it actually made a huge different BUT pocket messenger quit working. specifically it no longer connects.

my guess is by specifying the port 8080, pocket messenger can no longer connect.

i may be wrong about this though, because i came across this on chris deherra's site -- see #2 below. it sounds very similar to what t-mobile is probably doing to make faster connections:

http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/connectionmanager.htm

"Connection Scenarios that are Not Supported

After reviewing the functionality of the Connection Manager, I have identified the follow scenarios where Connection Manager will not provide you with seamless connectivity:

1. Any company that uses a DNS internally will not be able to access full DNS named hosts internally. This is due to the design that requests for all names with periods to go to the internet (drop down number one), not the Work connection (drop down number two) which is where Work points to. I know that major corporations with internal DNS based names will have this problem for example. There is no option to connect to both hosts via the same connection. The user has to switch between Work and The Internet in drop down box number one to get to those resources.

2. Any user or ISP that uses a proxy and still connects directly to the internet will not work. The proxy assumes all connections with a dot in the name go to the proxy and that the proxy supports socks or winsock to connect. So company's that use a proxy to speed up access to the internet like when you use wireless will experience issues with e-mail due to this issue. So with the connection to Work, you can get to the web but no other service. So if you set it to The Internet then you can get e-mail but no web."

Steven Cedrone
01-04-2003, 12:08 AM
i have a t-mobile pocket pc phone that i got from amazon (great deal -- excellent handheld!)

out of the box i could connect to the internet but the connections were slow and unreliable. i eventually came across a t-mobile tip/tricks page that explained the phone had to be configured through a proxy by creating a new connection with a new "modem", then proxy getmorespeed.voicestream.com with port 8080.

i did this and it actually made a huge different BUT pocket messenger quit working. specifically it no longer connects.

my guess is by specifying the port 8080, pocket messenger can no longer connect.

If you switch it back to the way it was before, does Messenger work again???

Steve

Cortex
01-04-2003, 12:12 AM
my email actually works using the proxy connection and my smtp/pop3 address does use "."s, so part of what he states doesnt hold true for my case, but messenger seems not to work....

Cortex
01-04-2003, 12:18 AM
here's the link to t-mobile's site if youre interested (scroll down a little to the part about "Creating a GPRS Connection"):

http://www.t-mobile.com/help/services/tz/tt/pocket_pc.asp#22

i've posted this on several threads in the phone edition forum because i was amazed no one has been posting that the phone may not be optimized for internet access out of the box! even though it sometimes connects... the default internet connection does not provide an option to use a proxy, so you have to create a new connection setting.

i know jason dunn uses a t-mobile/xda/o2/htc phone and im curious if he and other users know that they may be able to increase their connection reliability and download speed by following the instructions.

im also curious if they too have problems with messenger?

Steven Cedrone
01-04-2003, 12:23 AM
here's the link to t-mobile's site if youre interested (scroll down a little to the part about "Creating a GPRS Connection"):

http://www.t-mobile.com/help/services/tz/tt/pocket_pc.asp#22

i've posted this on several threads in the phone edition forum because i was amazed no one has been posting that the phone may not be optimized for internet access out of the box! even though it sometimes connects... the default internet connection does not provide an option to use a proxy, so you have to create a new connection setting.

i know jason dunn uses a t-mobile/xda/o2/htc phone and im curious if he and other users know that they may be able to increase their connection reliability and download speed by following the instructions.

im also curious if they too have problems with messenger?

I'll take a look. As far as the rest of the XDA owners, I would imagine it would be dependant upon the provider...

Steve

Did you try to use the "out of box" settings and see if you regain the use of Messenger???

Cortex
01-04-2003, 12:48 AM
if i switch back to the original settings (without a proxy) messenger will work its just takes several attempts to connect, the connection is slow, and im often disconnected. i like to get it working with the proxy if possible. another member of the forum recommended i use portrait which i may end up doing...

thanks though

Steven Cedrone
01-04-2003, 01:23 AM
I see that you enlisted the help of Monty "DsneFmly" Gibson in the Pocket PC Phone Edition forum. If anyone can help, I would imagine it would be him. Can he duplicate your problem? I would also talk to T-Mobile since it sounds as if they should be aware of the problem...

Good luck, let us know what happens...

Steve

karen
01-07-2003, 06:39 PM
FWIW, we (those in my office) have been having trouble connnecting to Messenger for the last couple of days, both in the office an out in other offices.

Karen

FredMurphy
01-07-2003, 06:45 PM
My router uses UPnP to automatically open up ports for Windows Messenger on XP. It seems to be using UDP on 7691 and TCP on 12477.

Scratch that - just tried connecting MSN Messenger on my Pocket PC and it doesn't open these ports and still seems to work.

I have heard that there have been Messenger sign-in problems recently.

Fred