View Full Version : Calligrapher woes

ExtremeSIMS
01-03-2003, 12:57 AM
I installed Calligrapher on my Toshiba e470 and immediately faced a slew of issues. Word and Notes would hang on launch, and the OK and close buttons would not respond to taps. I ended up having to hard reset the unit (actually, hard reset 3 times, since I am a glutton for punishment.)

As noted, I reset several times, since I tried installing on my fully loaded e740, on a clean unit, and again on a clean unit.

Any ideas? The very brief time I had with Calligrapher seemed to indicate better recognition than Transcriber.

/me misses my Zaurus thumb keyboard....

Rirath
01-03-2003, 02:00 AM
Personally I can tap rather fast with the onscreen keyboard. For large amounts of entry, I use my desktop keybaord via Pocket Controller.

Cortex
01-03-2003, 03:21 AM
is this the latest version of calligrapher? 6.5 i think?

i just upgraded my t-mobile and it was working very well initially.

i had some inbox issues that were unrelated and ended up hard resetting
the device last night, but now that i've reinstalled calligrapher it was having trouble with lockups after starting. particularily if you tried to hide the icon bar by hitting the X -- it would lock the device.

i had installed calligrapher on my 128 mb sd card which i also just figured out has gone bad so the lock up issues may be card related for.

i just bought a new card and will be reinstalling calligrapher shortly. let you know how it goes...

in the meantime i recommend reinstalling calligrapher and try placing it in memory rather than on a card.

there are several things i like about calligrapher -- although i tend to use it when im writing a lot of text (word or email). it gets annoying when there's too much punctuation filling out forms or web addresses and such.

1. the recognition seems to be better than transcriber plus they have added an option where it compares your writing to words in its dictionary when converting -- a HUGE advantage for accuracy.
also, i didn't know this until reading their site -- if you "overtrain" calligrapher (or transcriber) it can DECREASE recognition accuracy.

2. pen commander can be very powerful

its a shame microsoft didnt just include the full version of calligrapher given the extra features...