View Full Version : My Axim Support Phonecall

Rirath
01-02-2003, 10:01 PM
After a little over 45 minutes on hold, I got through. Gave my tag number about 4-5 times until we got it right. Then this started:

them: "How can I help you today?"

Me: "I'm calling about replacing the axim because of the D-pad issue, the navigation button"

them: "Which direction is it?"
me: "The up direction."
them: "Okay, can take the stylus and push the soft reset button on the side."
me: "I'm quite sure it's not a software problem, I know it's the hardware."
them: "Yes, I understand... but we have procedures we have to follow."
me: "ok... it's booted again, now what?"
them: "Go into start, settings, buttons. Hit restore defaults, what did that do?"
me: (didn't push it) "It restored the defaults like it says."
them: "Ok... try the buttons again."
me: "Same thing, I'm really sure it's the hardware, it's a common issue."
them: "Yes yes, I know... okay, now try pushing the power button."
me: (knows where this is going) "Ooookay...."
them: "Now push the soft reset button and the power button together."
me: "Look, I'm not going to hard reset my device. It's not going to fix it."

That's about as far as things went. I finally got to the point about a replacement unit, but it seems like a big chance to me. If they send a new one, and it's worse than my old one, then I have to replace it again I'll get stuck with a refurbished unit. This one ain't perfect, but it's dang close (just a mushy but 100% working up) and I think I'd be dumb to risk it.

Lol, well that was fun. I was hoping to get a tech that could tell me if the new batch had a big chance of the same issue, but no such luck. They just kept telling me it'd be new. Not much reassurance. Anyway, I love the Axim and I'm not risking it. Anyhow, after 30 days it does indeed seem to be refurbished units. :-/

Evee Ev
01-02-2003, 10:13 PM
dude...that's too bad about your unit...but the phone call is funny! the tech people always treat the people who call like their idiots...

Kevin C. Tofel
01-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Having managed tech support desks in a past life, I can certainly appreciate the fun conversation......at no charge, I'm passing along my advice to all my Help Desk reps: "Put the script down........and listen".

Good luck with the D-Pad....so far mine seems fine....

:?

Sven Johannsen
01-02-2003, 10:18 PM
I think you could have done a bunch of folks a favor if you had tried to escalate that exchange. It is unconscionable for Tech Support to direct you to hard reset your device without so much as an indication of what you are about to do. It is akin to having a desktop user drop in the factory restore CD and reboot. I can just imagine some poor soul who has tons of data on the machine only to have Tech Support blindly wipe it clean. That step in the process checklist needs changing. At the very least it needs to be moved to a higher level of support, where the techs know and can explain the consequences.

Rirath
01-02-2003, 10:34 PM
It is unconscionable for Tech Support to direct you to hard reset your device without so much as an indication of what you are about to do. It is akin to having a desktop user drop in the factory restore CD and reboot. I can just imagine some poor soul who has tons of data on the machine only to have Tech Support blindly wipe it clean.

Yeah, I agree... the text can't convey my shock that she actually told me to hard reset without even mentioning the consequence, or even saying that it was a hard reset. I have everything backed up, so it wouldn't have been a big loss... but I still wasn't about to do it. I'm perfectly happy with the current unit... I just wanted to call and see what happens so I don't kick myself for not doing it later. Figured a few people would get a kick out of the conversation.

Kati Compton
01-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Lol, well that was fun. I was hoping to get a tech that could tell me if the new batch had a big chance of the same issue, but no such luck. They just kept telling me it'd be new. Not much reassurance. Anyway, I love the Axim and I'm not risking it. Anyhow, after 30 days it does indeed seem to be refurbished units. :-/

Have them send one. If it's worse, send the same one back. Then call all angry that they didn't solve your problem, and have them send a NEW new one.

That will be my tactic, anyway.

Kati Compton
01-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Of course, I have a hardware problem with the microphone on the built-in sound on my desktop Dell and they're having me reinstall all drivers after I've already done it. I've been putting it off, but maybe I should just do it so that they'll send someone out to actually fix it.