View Full Version : NO FIRMWARE SUPPORT?????????

goirish!!
01-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Read here for details:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?threadid=68594

Jhokur2k
01-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Judging from the "quote" the Dell rep spewed, I'd say he's clueless... does it seem logical to put a 48MB ROM on a system, to never upgrade it? If that's the case, they could have put the same 32MB ROM in both devices and stated they were locked ala the handspring visors.

goirish!!
01-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Judging from the "quote" the Dell rep spewed, I'd say he's clueless... does it seem logical to put a 48MB ROM on a system, to never upgrade it? If that's the case, they could have put the same 32MB ROM in both devices and stated they were locked ala the handspring visors.

I hope that is the case but since the person making the statement is supposed to be the Tech supervisor it concerns me. My Axim is due at my house in the next couple of hours and if this is the case I more than likly will send it back.

Rirath
01-02-2003, 08:10 PM
It amazes me how many people are willing to send this back over the slightest rumors. Geesh, if you're that eager to cancel, why did you guys order to begin with? Every PPC on the market will have it's rumors, time will tell what's true and what's not.

VanHlebar
01-02-2003, 08:15 PM
I posted this question in the Tech Support of Dells Axim forum. Hopefully a Moderator over there will have some answers. I find it hard to belive that Dell would go thru the trouble to give 48MB of Rom only to never provide updates. Not to mention the public out cry that would occur if they in fact didn't provide any updates. They would only be cutting off any futher growth in the ppc market if that was the case.

-Eric

goirish!!
01-02-2003, 08:22 PM
It amazes me how many people are willing to send this back over the slightest rumors. Geesh, if you're that eager to cancel, why did you guys order to begin with? Every PPC on the market will have it's rumors, time will tell what's true and what's not.

It amazes me that people post without fully reading what they are replying to. For my part I said that "IF" this is true I would be returning this unit. I ordered the Dell based on several factors none of which included keeping a unit that would be unsupported by the manufacturer.

Hopefully this is a "false alarm" but I think that it is far better to discuss and try to get more people asking questions than it is to sit back and wait for Dell to let us know this after the next Firmware update has been issued.

FredMurphy
01-02-2003, 08:28 PM
I can't imagine ANY manufacturer will be saying anything about future plans to upgrade, especially to Pocket PC 2003 (or whatever it will be called). There's no point getting in a flap about it or reading too much into it. Chances are that there will be an upgrade but you can't count on it. HP haven't made any guarantees about the iPAQ either.

A new OS is the sort of thing that is important to me so that's why I'll wait for a device that already has it. Samsung's Nexio s160 is looking like a lead contender at the moment.

Fred

Rirath
01-02-2003, 09:04 PM
It amazes me that people post without fully reading what they are replying to. For my part I said that "IF" this is true I would be returning this unit. I ordered the Dell based on several factors none of which included keeping a unit that would be unsupported by the manufacturer.

If I was replying to you directly, I would have quoted you. I was speaking in more general terms, but yes... I would include you in that statement as well. This is the first I've heard of it, and you're already thinking about sending it back before you get it.

Sven Johannsen
01-02-2003, 09:04 PM

When you get right down to it, they could have put a 24M non-flashable ROM in there if no upgrades was the intent. They could have chosen any number of standard USB connectors for the bottom if only USB, and only sync, was planned too. I'd wait and see.

whitefur
01-02-2003, 09:25 PM
You perhaps miss the point of the original thread and the issue...

the Microsoft spec for PocketPC 2002 REQUIRES Flash ROM, specific screen size, et al. nothing says the vendor HAS to provide future updates, fixes, revisions, etc. just that this is the "official, certified" platform for any product that wants to call itself PocketPC 2002.

the issue is specifically about a "feature/bug" that probably would require a change in the way the ROM handles storage cards to correct (see postings on the Dell Tech Forum and Brighthand about Email attachments going to ROM instead of a storage card.)

despite the configuration of the device, despite it having the Flash ROM, Dell (at least this person in this conversation) is saying no patches/fixes will be forthcoming, and therefore this problem will not be fixed.

IF it's true, then is speaks of future support for several issues people are having... the previous one mentioned, the "5th option" for the Pad, as well as any future bug/problem as yet undiscovered that would require a change in the Flash ROM.

That's the issue... is Dell, as a hardware vendor, actually saying "here's the product, take it or leave it, we'll not fix any problems you discover." Seems unbelievable, but certainly needs confirmation.

goirish!!
01-02-2003, 09:58 PM

If I was replying to you directly, I would have quoted you. I was speaking in more general terms, but yes... I would include you in that statement as well. This is the first I've heard of it, and you're already thinking about sending it back before you get it.

Last time: I would send it back IF this turns out to be true, not until. I have been reading every discussion that I could find before making the decision to buy the Dell, and over all I think that this is going to be a very good unit, but if there are concerns then they should be discussed. This is the first time anyone has heard about this because it just came out. I HOPE IT'S NOT TRUE. I don't know how else to say it.

And BTW if it is a false statement then Dell is lagging in their training for the people giving the information out.

(side note: I just got the unit in and at first site it is a keeper! Screen is great, cradle is really cool, can't wait till it is charged and ready to [ut through it's paces)

goirish!!
01-03-2003, 04:24 AM
Good news!!??

I hope that this person knows what they are talking about. I received this today from Dell:

Please include the following line in all replies.
Tracking number: AT20030102_0000011779

Dear xxxxx ,

Thank you for contacting Dell eSupport and Services (ESS). We
appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I apologize for your
trouble and I assure you it is our hope that you have a positive
experience with our company.

xxxxx, I understand the issue. It is not true, please be sure
that Dell will support Axim X5 completely . We at Dell will
provide complete support to the issues associated with the Axim
X5.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

Respectfully,

** Shelly **
** ~DTC68135 **
** 10:00PM-06:00AM Central (Sat-Wed) **
Dell eSupport and Services.

Rirath
01-03-2003, 06:24 AM
See. :) It took like what, 24 hours? Wait another week and they'll be a new rumor. Thanks for posting the email.

tccox
01-03-2003, 01:45 PM
See. :) It took like what, 24 hours? Wait another week and they'll be a new rumor. Thanks for posting the email.

I just talked to a third cousin who talked to the brother of a Supervisior at Dell and was told using a Axim causes warts.

ultimate_ed
01-03-2003, 02:56 PM
No, no, that's CURES warts! Don't go spreading rumors like that man!

:D :D :D

Rirath
01-03-2003, 06:23 PM
I just talked to a third cousin who talked to the brother of a Supervisior at Dell and was told using a Axim causes warts.

WARTZ?!!!!!????????????!!!111
Dear God, NO! If there's that many people, it must be true! I'm truly vain and was already thinking about returning the Dell based on it's looks alone. My beautiful face! I can't risk my beautiful face!! Everyone, spam this to every forum you know! Brighthand, PDAbuzz, Dell, Repost it here for no good reason, we must spread the word!!@!

No, no, that's CURES warts! Don't go spreading rumors like that man!

I said IF there's that many people... we don't know 4 sure yet. We must check this out though to be sure!! I've emailed they editors at C|Net because they have 1337 haxx0rs spies with inside information at Dell and they know everything.

Rirath
01-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Woohoo!! Dell sent me this just moments ago!

--

Please include the following line in all replies.
Tracking number: AT-AT-I-love-Star-Wars-1337

Dear xxxxx , ( <- That's me!!)

Please get a F!@$ing life.

Thank you for choosing Dell.
Respectfully,

** Your Mother **
** ~DTC00001 **
** 10:00PM-06:00AM Central (Sat-Wed) **
Dell eSupport and Services.

Janak Parekh
01-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Woohoo!! Dell sent me this just moments ago!
What, your mother works for Dell? :lol:

--janak

Rirath
01-03-2003, 07:26 PM
No, but seemed like something to toss in to prove it was fake. :wink:

Pat Logsdon
01-03-2003, 07:42 PM
I said IF there's that many people... we don't know 4 sure yet. We must check this out though to be sure!! I've emailed they editors at C|Net because they have 1337 haxx0rs spies with inside information at Dell and they know everything.
Oh no! l337 haxx0rz! Now we're fuxx0red - where's the wart cream?

:lilangel: <- that's almost the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen. Apart from Richard Simmons, of course.