View Full Version : Dell Axim or Sony CleiSj30?

MRSB86
01-02-2003, 04:25 PM
I have never used a hand-held anything, and I was thinking of buying a Sony Clie SJ30 or the Handspring Treo 90 (so I don't have to learn grafitti). After looking at several web sites including this one, I am wondering about the Dell Axim. However, since it is so new, there is not much feedback from anyone. Can anyone give me some information that might be helpful in my decision-making? Thanks

Kati Compton
01-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Well, what is it you want to know about the Dell? It has all the Pros/Cons of PPC, so I would recommend that you choose the platform you want (Palm or PPC) before the brand/model...

dh
01-02-2003, 05:06 PM
I agree with Kati, you need to figure out which operating system you need before worrying about which model.
I'm a bit of minority around here since I use a Palm Vx (old enough to have a 3com label) not a PPC and I'm looking to upgrade soon, either to a TT, an Axim or maybe iPaq.
Since this is a PPC site, most people here will suggest you go with a PPC device, but if all you want is an automated date and address book the SJ30 would be great. Don't worry about learning Grafiti, it takes about 20 minutes. That Treo keyboard is so tiny as to be tricky for me to use, although some people love it.
If you are looking to do a lot more with your PDA, then by all means look at the Dell Axim. It certainly has the best feature/cost ratio of anything out there.
Good Luck!

dannyoneill
01-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Youve just asked "Palm OS or Pocket PC" on a forum where most people are PPC nuts. I would say go for the pocketpc.

Palm, there organisers. your never gonna get much more than that from them, not enough power. Pocket PC's, there just that, your PC in ya pocket.

If you just want to organise your life AND THATS IT! go for the palm. But if you even suspect you want to view piccys or play games, the Axim is the choice.

shawnc
01-02-2003, 05:28 PM
I own both a Dell and Trea 300. I think dannyoniel hit the nail on the head. Palm is a good organizer but if you wish to play games, videos, music, etc. a PPC is the way to go. Having said that, I brought my Treo B/C Sprint gave me a really great deal. I figured I would try it out for 30 days and send it back. No Way! I love the KB and the ability to wirelessly connect to the web, read email, etc all on one machine with no specail cards, chips, etc. No ISP needed b/c it is all through Sprint. I was actually thinking of sending the Dell back and keeping only the Treo.

Bottom line, I love the Dell. It is faster, has more memory and better looking (IMO) than my old ipaq. The Treo is REALLY convenient and reliable. But if I HAD to pick between the Dell and Treo, I would probably go with the Dell.

ux4484
01-02-2003, 07:18 PM
MrsB86,

While awaiting my Axim x5 (recieved it on NY eve!) I pondered the same exact Sony model sj30. Great screen, best buttons Sony's ever made, and damn good screen. I've played extensively with the Sony; If PIM functions, portability, ebooks, longer battery life (not much longer as the charge on my Axim has yet to reach 50% even with me punishing it), are paramount to you; the Sony is your PDA (and if you already have any Sony memstick devices). The sj30 does pictures darn good for a Palm, but the Resco pic Viewer that ships on the Dell displays some pretty hi-res pictures VERY quickly (I was truly amazed) without the .jpg conversion for Every picture that the Sony has to go through the first time showing a picture. If you think you'd like to "try everything" including MP3 playback, pictures, video, and don't mind the magnificanly large bulge in your pocket/purse go with the Dell.
I'm still not sure about my Dell, as my needs are closer to the Palm best features as noted above. It is incredibly cool, and not much bigger than my Visor Deluxe......but alas it does not slip well into a shirt pocket with it's grippy rubber sides......but then again, if I decided to put a Wireless access point at home, I couldn't imagine having anything BUT the Dell.

It's a question of needs and wants, what do you NEED it to do now, or what MAY you want it to do down the road, the Dell is for down the road.

rave
01-03-2003, 09:08 AM
A little comment on picture viewing on the Palm: You have to convert the pics into PDB files, whose format depends on the viewer. These files are large compared to their JPEG equivalents, since the Palm's processing power for image decoding is comparably low and the developers had to sacrifice size for speed.

As for PIM functions, dare I say that the PPC PIM apps are simpler to use than those of Palm OS. I'm speaking from experience.

mookie123
01-03-2003, 06:13 PM
How much is SJ30 anyway? why not go h1910? It could be easier to lug around if she doesn't need the CF slot. (just a thought)

Kati Compton
01-03-2003, 07:29 PM
How much is SJ30 anyway? why not go h1910? It could be easier to lug around if she doesn't need the CF slot. (just a thought)

Could be a CF camera involved...

spursdude
01-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Could be a CF camera involved...

...which is surely why a Palm is being considered. :D

Cortex
01-03-2003, 10:36 PM
if you want to get sucked into proprietary memory sticks that they are about to change -- sticking it to the customers -- go with the sony.

i use a vaio and as usual i was a sucker for sony's great designs but quickly realized that i was married to $ony for upgrades -- nothing works with it but sony products.

my 2 cents about sony...

(ps the TT looks rediculous and is flimsy ;)

rave
01-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Tungsten T? It's hazardous to your health.

In time, the "innovative" Sliding Graffiti (tm) mechanism will loosen and will require the user to prop up the thing with his fingers just so he can write. This will cause muscle and joint strain, thus making it a health hazard. :P