View Full Version : CF Expansion Pack Plus

Stanley Tan
01-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Approximately how much power does the CF expansion pack plus provide? If there is no CF card, will it double the usuable time? And for charging, do I simply put the iPAQ with the sleeve on into the cradle and both batteries will be charged?

Thanks!

Birdman
01-02-2003, 04:51 PM
In answer to your second question, yes, just put the ipaq in the cradle with the Expansion pack on, and both the internal ipaq battery and the expansion pack battery will charge at the same time.

I can't give you any specifics about whether it doubles the usage life, but for example, I am still using my old 36xx series ipaq. Before I purchased the CF Plus pack, I would have to bring my charger home from the office over the weekend because I could just barely get through the weekend using my ipaq without having to recharge. I am not even talking about heavy usage, just some AvantGo reading, a little MP3 playing etc. Not heavy.

Since I bought the CF Plus pack, I never bring my charger home anymore. Over the holidays, I took my ipaq with me skiing. I logged into my firm's network using my CF modem to get my email and update AvantGo. I listened to music, read a complet ebook as well as the news, and on my return, I had plenty of battery life left. Again, I can't give you any specifics, but in the real world, it has made a tremendous difference. While it may be a little heavier than the basic CF pack and my EB slipper case, using the CF Plus pack results in a slightly smaller form factor (although it is still quite big) but a tremendous improvement in usability due to the increased battery life. I should have bought it a year ago.

Janak Parekh
01-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Ditto with my experience - you do get somewhere between 50% and 100% more life; it depends on your iPaq - my 3870 has a larger internal battery, but on the 3600 series the battery sizes are nearly equivalent. I've generally been very happy with the purchase, as I have a Microdrive and a Wi-Fi card and can use either without having to worry about draining my unit too quickly now. In fact, I can't remember the last time my 3870's main battery went below 85% (which only tends to happen after the external battery is drained away).

I also love the form factor with the hard cover. OK, it's not an iPaq 1910, but it's very pocketable for me.

As to charging, yes, when you cradle the iPaq with the sleeve on both will charge up (there's a separate light on the CF+'s battery). If you need an external charger, there's a separately-orderable unit from HP.

--janak

Stanley Tan
01-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the info! 8)