View Full Version : "Bluish" tint to white's"

charlynu
01-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Does anyone notice a slight "bluish-ness" to the whites on the Axim?

I've notice this especially in pic's seen using the Resco viewer from my SD card. Just checking to see if this slightly "off" bluish tint to the whites is a characteristic of the Axim's or whether my unit's off in some respect. The whites are not at all that bad, especially when compared to PocketPC's of two years ago and, as several times stated above, it's only a slight effect. But I'm rather picky about the screens on my PDA's and want to know if I should bug Dell for an exchange.

Thanks.

Charlie

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Does anyone notice a slight "bluish-ness" to the whites on the Axim?

I've notice this especially in pic's seen using the Resco viewer from my SD card. Just checking to see if this slightly "off" bluish tint to the whites is a characteristic of the Axim's or whether my unit's off in some respect. The whites are not at all that bad, especially when compared to PocketPC's of two years ago and, as several times stated above, it's only a slight effect. But I'm rather picky about the screens on my PDA's and want to know if I should bug Dell for an exchange.
I think that is the nature of a transflective screen. My iPAQ 3900 also has a slight blueish tint to the whites when the backlight is on.

Kevin C. Tofel
01-02-2003, 03:19 PM
I don't view many pics on my Dell, but I did look at some images from the web and some e-books. I would agree that in general, there is a "blue" tint to the whites. The screen is better than most out there, but I could see an issue if you view many pics.

My guess is that is common to all Dell's and may be due to the backlight technology used on the Axim.....it may be difficult to do, but can you view some pics with the backlight off and see if the "blue hue" is still there? If the hue is still there then I'd attribute this to the screen parts they're using....not sure where they get the screens from.

KCT

Chris Hendriks
01-02-2003, 04:59 PM
the bluish tint is caused by a few factors: (assuming that the picture viewed has a true white background).

1. color of the LEDs used as the internal light source
2. filter colors
3. touch screen filter effect
4. type of external light (flourescent, sunlight, halogen, etc)

bluevolume
01-02-2003, 05:50 PM
I wrote about the bluish-tint in my review of the Dell back in early December, and was told by someone else in the forum that I was wrong. I have had 2 Axims and the screens both look the same to me, so whatever it is that we are seeing is common among them.

Blue