View Full Version : Need help getting Fiance's HP568 to sync.

VanHlebar
01-02-2003, 02:48 AM
I just installed WinXP Pro on my desktop over the weekend. I have seperate accounts set up for myself and my fiance. She uses Eudora Lite for email and I use Outlook 2002 for email, contacts and calendar stuff. She used to be able to sync the contacts and calendar to her ppc under Win98, but now it wants some kind of profile. So I typed her name in and set it up without a email account with it, but it still says that it can't find her outlook contacts etc.

How do I get it so that she syncs her contacts and appointments with my Outlook stuff?

Thanks for the help.

-Eric

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 03:19 AM
I just installed WinXP Pro on my desktop over the weekend. I have seperate accounts set up for myself and my fiance. She uses Eudora Lite for email and I use Outlook 2002 for email, contacts and calendar stuff. She used to be able to sync the contacts and calendar to her ppc under Win98, but now it wants some kind of profile. So I typed her name in and set it up without a email account with it, but it still says that it can't find her outlook contacts etc.

How do I get it so that she syncs her contacts and appointments with my Outlook stuff?
You want her PPC syncing with your contacts database, right?

You both should be admins of the XP system. She will need access to your PST file. You don't need profiles set up in Outlook - your seperate logins in XP will take care of that for you. Log in under her name then open Outlook. Add your PST file to her Outlook session. File|open|outlook data file.

It will probably be somewhere in c:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. Now close her other PST file and have emails delivered to yours. Don't worry, if she is using Eudora, she should never really set up email in OL2K on the machine anyway.

VanHlebar
01-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Ed,

Thanks for the help. Can I do this without having her be an Admin? Can I just give her access rights to my pst file? I think I will try this and see it works.

Thanks again!

-Eric

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Ed,

Thanks for the help. Can I do this without having her be an Admin? Can I just give her access rights to my pst file? I think I will try this and see it works.

Thanks again!

-Eric

You'll have to give her RWX permissions on all of those folders/subfolders to that file. I am not 100% sure ActiveSync works in a non-admin profile either. I know you can't install it without being admin. Give it a shot though.

Oh yeah, I am assumming you have NTFS as your file system. If you are using FAT32, don't worry about permissions. FAT has none.

VanHlebar
01-02-2003, 04:34 AM
Well it worked sort of. I gave her RWX access to my directory. Then I opened up my Outlook.pst file in Outlook under her account. All it did though was create a second "personal folder" in her outlook. When ActiveSync synced it didn't get my calendar or contacts. I think i will try your way and see if that works.

I don't understand why this has to be this difficult to do.... :oops: :evil:

-Eric

ps.
I quit! I changed her to an admin and it still doesn't work. I don't understand. This worked just fine under Win98. I am sure I am doing something wrong but I can't figure it out. :x

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Well it worked sort of. I gave her RWX access to my directory. Then I opened up my Outlook.pst file in Outlook under her account. All it did though was create a second "personal folder" in her outlook. When ActiveSync synced it didn't get my calendar or contacts. I think i will try your way and see if that works.
No, you have to close her default PST file, making your file her primary, then close and reopen Outlook. It will still be your primary too when you log in. AS only syncs with your primary message store and that is typically either where you have emails delivered to or the first PST opened.