View Full Version : ActiveSync 3.6 / Inbox Troubles...

Cortex
01-02-2003, 02:27 AM
When I first sync'd my handheld with Outlook 2002, Inbox created a Folder called ActiveSync and populated it with about 10 subfolders that I think are copies of the email account that I had set as default in Outlook 2002 at the time. Some of those subfolders include Inbox, Outbox, Sent, etc.

The problem I'm having is that I am now using a different Pop3 account and although ActiveSync has now created a Pop3 Folder in Inbox with Inbox, Outbox, Sent, etc it did not get rid of the older ActiveSync folder.
Also any new emails get placed in the ActiveSync folder and outgoing mail I write on the handheld has to be cut and pasted into the ActiveSync outbox rather than the Pop3 Outbox before it will send it.

ManageFolders is grayed out when the ActiveSync folders are selected. Does anyone know how to delete these folders or get Inbox to re-evaluate things from scratch (without doing a hard reset)?

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 03:23 AM
The problem I'm having is that I am now using a different Pop3 account and although ActiveSync has now created a Pop3 Folder in Inbox with Inbox, Outbox, Sent, etc it did not get rid of the older ActiveSync folder.
Also any new emails get placed in the ActiveSync folder and outgoing mail I write on the handheld has to be cut and pasted into the ActiveSync outbox rather than the Pop3 Outbox before it will send it.

ManageFolders is grayed out when the ActiveSync folders are selected. Does anyone know how to delete these folders or get Inbox to re-evaluate things from scratch (without doing a hard reset)?

Try unchecking Inbox in ActiveSync. You might also want to delete your POP3 account and recreate it.

Cortex
01-02-2003, 03:58 AM
i tried unchecking "sync inbox" in active sync but it didnt change.

i even went so far as renaming the device and creating a new partnership but it looks like the pocket pc got configured to have these extra folders and wont get rid of them.

i did a hard reset just to see if the inbox would work normally (the device is actually a pocket pc phone and the reason this problem is a pain is that normally i should be able to write an email and just click send and off it goes -- but this only occurs if i move it the activesync outbox folder).

the hard reset fixed it but the thought of reconfiguring the entire device to fix this brought me to tears, so i restored it.

does anyone know the details of where the inbox files are and how it stores these directories so i can delete them?

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 04:06 AM
the hard reset fixed it but the thought of reconfiguring the entire device to fix this brought me to tears, so i restored it.

does anyone know the details of where the inbox files are and how it stores these directories so i can delete them?
It is several registry entries. You do this at your own risk.

First delete the POP3 account and soft reset.

Now with a registry editor, go to HKEY_Current_user/Software/Microsoft/Inbox/SyncServiceProviders. Delete the POP3 entry - NOT THE ACTIVESYNC ONE.

Now go to HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Inbox/SyncServiceProviders and delete the POP3 account there.

Soft reset again and create the POP3 account again. If that doesn't fix it, a hard reset may be faster. Also, i can tell you one thing that causes this is an ActiveSync Restore. :evil:

Pony99CA
01-02-2003, 06:06 AM
When I first sync'd my handheld with Outlook 2002, Inbox created a Folder called ActiveSync and populated it with about 10 subfolders that I think are copies of the email account that I had set as default in Outlook 2002 at the time. Some of those subfolders include Inbox, Outbox, Sent, etc.

I only see one problem here -- having to use ActiveSync folders for your POP3 account. That doesn't happen on my iPAQ, but I've never used Exchange with it. Do you use Outlook to read your POP3 mail? Maybe that's why you have to use ActiveSync, but I use Eudora, so I can't say for sure.

I suspect that you'll always have the ActiveSync folders (I know that I have them), just in case you do use Outlook for E-mail. I don't think that's a bug.

I don't think Manage Folders... being disabled is a bug, either. I would guess that you have to manage the folders from Outlook or Exchange.

Maybe I'm missing something, though....

Steve

JonnoB
01-02-2003, 06:38 AM
An active sync folder (as a root node) is a replica of your Outlook on the desktop. It cannot be removed, but does not have to be used. Each additional Inbox account add-in of which Activesync is one, can then have it's own root folder with subfolders.

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 02:09 PM
I only see one problem here -- having to use ActiveSync folders for your POP3 account. That doesn't happen on my iPAQ, but I've never used Exchange with it. Do you use Outlook to read your POP3 mail? Maybe that's why you have to use ActiveSync, but I use Eudora, so I can't say for sure.
That is the problem. I've seen the AS folders get comingled in use with my IMAP folders before. Getting it untangled is a pain, and includes those registry edits above.

I don't think Manage Folders... being disabled is a bug, either. I would guess that you have to manage the folders from Outlook or Exchange.
Manage Folders doesn't apply to the AS inbox, only IMAP and maybe POP3.

Cortex
01-03-2003, 12:18 AM
thanks for your help

i ultimately bit the bullet and did another hard reset

fixed the inbox problem -- i think it stemmed from having an imap email account that i eventually got rid of....

but now it looks like my 128mb sd card is going bad :(