View Full Version : Synching

jutae
01-01-2003, 06:14 AM
I deleted a file (.doc) out of my synchronized folder not realizing that when I hot synced it would delete it out of my Ipaq. Palm puts its deleted files in an archive folder when synching. Does Pocket PC?

Johnny :cry:

Pony99CA
01-01-2003, 01:04 PM
I deleted a file (.doc) out of my synchronized folder not realizing that when I hot synced it would delete it out of my Ipaq. Palm puts its deleted files in an archive folder when synching. Does Pocket PC?

There's no "Archive" folder that I know of. However, can't you get the file from the Recycle Bin? That should put the file back into your synchronized folder, and, after the next sync, back on your iPAQ.

Steve

jutae
01-01-2003, 03:06 PM
I have my pc setup to delete files permanently. Never goes to recycle bin.

Johnny

Delta737
01-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Then you ran out of luck, I'm afraid. If the file is REALLY important, you might be able to restore your PPC (if you backup-ed it before you deleted the file). I don't know if this works but on my toshiba, using DataBackup, it restores all files like they were (including .doc's). So, if you backup-ed recently (but before deleting the file) that might be an option

Pony99CA
01-02-2003, 07:08 AM
I have my pc setup to delete files permanently. Never goes to recycle bin.

Maybe you'll think about changing that now.... :?

You could try downloading a file recovery program. Deleting files doesn't actually overwrite the data (unless you set your PC up to do that, too), it just removes information about where to find the data (like removing an index card for a book from the card catalog at a library).

However, if you've written a lot on your disk, that space could have been overwritten with new data, and then you will be out of luck. Stop everything else now, find and download a file recovery program on somebody else's computer, copy it to a floppy, then run it on your PC.

Steve

Pony99CA
01-03-2003, 07:58 AM
Then you ran out of luck, I'm afraid. If the file is REALLY important, you might be able to restore your PPC (if you backup-ed it before you deleted the file). I don't know if this works but on my toshiba, using DataBackup, it restores all files like they were (including .doc's). So, if you backup-ed recently (but before deleting the file) that might be an option
Windows ME or later have a system checkpoint system included. If he uses that, or third-party software like GoBack, he might be able to restore the file from there.

Steve