View Full Version : Looking for Good Map Software & GPS

RageFury
12-31-2002, 06:54 PM
Hey all, I need some mapping software, and not sure what to buy--I need to be able to add little "sticky notes", or "push pins", wherever I like on the map, and GPS support would be a plus. Any suggestions?

P.S., I own the ViewSonic V35, what GPS units would work on here? Any?

http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/pocketpc/listing.asp?cat%5Fid=&cat%5Fname=&pdept%5Fid=200206&dept%5Fid=2310&dept%5Fname=

Also, what kind of port is on the bottom of the V35, that it uses to connect to the cradle with? Is it a proprietary port, or a port that I can get accessories such as keyboards for from places other than ViewSonic?

Thanks ppl =)

Sven Johannsen
12-31-2002, 07:07 PM
I'll get beat up by the map afficionados, but if that is all you want, Pocket Streets, that comes with Streets and Trips 2003 will do that. You should be able to find it for under $20 after rebates, and the Desktop application is very good, and is essentially required to make the PPC version useful. You can add 'pushpins' and each allows a note field along with the description.

You can check it out at http://www.microsoft.com/pocketstreets/

P.S. just don't go buy Pocket Streets by itself. It is available that way, but is fairly limited in that you are stuck with maps available at MS and it costs as much as the S&T package which includes it.

don dre
12-31-2002, 07:10 PM
the only thing that irritated me about PS is that the pushpins get lost when you upgrade. stupid.

RageFury
12-31-2002, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I've been hearing some good stuff about buyint Streets & Trips 2003. I edited my post while you guys were posting your replies :) Any word on GPS units, or what kind of port it is on the bottom of my GPS?

Sven Johannsen
12-31-2002, 07:59 PM
the only thing that irritated me about PS is that the pushpins get lost when you upgrade. stupid.

Up to this time, yes. But it was more than pushpins. The map format changed each year, and you had to recut maps. It was essentially a new program each year. the Pocket Streets that comes with S&T 2003 is essentially the same as the one that came with S&T 2002 with the Contact and GPS support already in it. I am using the same maps I cut with MapPoint 2002, with the Pocket Streets that came in S&T 2003.

The connector on the v35 is proprietary in the sense that it isn't the same as any other current PPC models that I am aware of. It will take a little time for third party manufacturers to produce keyboards, etc that fit.

Unfortunately nothing on the Viewsonic site implies that there is a serial (RS232) capability at the sync connector, nor an SDIO capability. The first would eliminate any serial GPS units, and the second the option of a BT one when BT SDIO cards become available. I think you are out of luck on GPS with the Viewsonic. Hopefully someone will explain why I am wrong.

RageFury
12-31-2002, 09:03 PM
Apparently driving directions are not available on the MS Streets & Trips 2003. Are there any other software suites by other companies, such as Rand McNally, that offer driving directions for the PPC?

msprague
12-31-2002, 09:49 PM
I suggest taking a look at Pocket PC Passion's GPS forum (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=39) and Gps Passion (http://www.gpspassion.com)
I am not sure about hardware compatibility with the V35.

csterns
01-01-2003, 02:30 AM
I'm surprised that there was no mention of Mapopolis (www.mapopolis.com). They have maps that provide driving directions locally and now Interstates. I live in Southern California where using a Thomas Map Guide is a way of life but with Mapopolis I all but tossed it in the trash. It supports GPS systems, includes local guides to business, very interactive and cheap. $8.00 for maps. Unless I am missing something Streets doesn't come close to this program. Plus you can make your own maps and when maps are upgraded they should stay with you.

RageFury
01-01-2003, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I put a demo map of King County from Mapopolis on my V35, it looks to be cool, can't test any of the advanced features because it is a demo, though. Considering doing it, can you do "pushpins" with Mapopolis? Also, how do subscriptions work? It isn't really "clearly" defined on mapopolis.com as to how they work--do you have to buy a subscription in order to buy a map, or is a subscription an unlimited thing, where you can download any US map, in that category? Like the $34.95 1 year platinum subscription, can I use that to literally download every single county map (thousands, in otherwords) throughout the entire country, for one year? (excluding updates, which cost a little more money on a quarterly basis, apparently)

Duddy
01-01-2003, 04:16 AM
I've heard something about some software for a GPS. I think it was called Xmap :?

RageFury
01-01-2003, 04:19 AM
Yeah, made by DeLorme. I almost bought it at CompUSA today, it supports driving instructions, but from the looks of things, Mapopolis seems to rock. The only problem I see, is that I can't find a way to use pushpins, or a way to mark an address. I can keep contacts from Outlook on there, so there is a roundabout way to do it, but something simpler would be nice. I'm waiting to hear back from csterns as to the whole subscription thing :) Or if anybody else could answer that? Because if it gives you unlimited access for a year to every single map they have in the Platinum category, I'm totally down for that, best money I'll ever have spent.

csterns
01-01-2003, 04:40 AM
The subscription allows you to download any and all maps. I've got all of Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange and Riverside County loaded. You can access maps individually or run them all contiguously, get door to door driving directions, save maps, create maps, create favorites,search for businesses (from hamburgers to banks, to pizza to ice cream), click on parks, golf courses, schools and business. You can do driving directions from location on the map to selecting one of your contacts. It works with GPS systems and, again, is very interactive. You can text point to point directions or look at the map and move the map around if you choose plus zoom in and out. Call them, leave a message and they'll call you back if you want to pick their brain. They're always upgrading the maps and their program. I bought a GPS Destinator last year and spent close to $400 for the system. Not long after purchasing the GPS system I came across Mapopolis for 10% of what I paid for Destinator and haven't touched the GPS system since. It's collecting dust. I've also loaded all this on my storeage card and it runs great. It's great for my work. I sell real estate and all I do is plug one address to the next and so on and never, ever see a normal map. I've become so dependent upon Mapopolis that I keep my old (I currently use Ipaq 3975) Ipaq 3650 with Mapopolis in the console as a backup if my Ipaq 3975 should crash. Mapopolis - "Don't leave home without it".

paulbiba
01-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Check out

www.gpspassion.com

which is an excellent site for this sort of thing. You'll find reviews of a number of software packages there.

Sven Johannsen
01-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Apparently driving directions are not available on the MS Streets & Trips 2003. Are there any other software suites by other companies, such as Rand McNally, that offer driving directions for the PPC?

See, now you didn't ask for that up front, or I wouldn't have suggested Pocket Streets. You didn't even say that would be nice to have ;)

Mapopolis Pro- probably the most well reviewed PPC Mapping program out there (check the variuos forums), yes on driving instructions
Con- slightly odd distribution scheme..the $99 subscription is probably the best value, it provides the most features. Only a PPC version...may be important to some??

XMap - Pro - inexpensive (relatively), has desktop version and PPC version that can interact, waypoints, routes, etc., a lot of features. yes on driving instructions
Con - reviews are variable (as many loves as hates), interface is a bit non-intuitive, you have to read the manual (help files).

Next you are going to add, "do any of them do automatic reroutes, if I take a side tour, or a wrong turn?", followed several posts later by "do any of them have voice prompts so I don't have to look at the screen?" If you had all your requirements out up front, we could have shortened this thread to the single post "Mapopolis" :D

RageFury
01-05-2003, 08:47 AM
No, Sven, my questions are answered :) I went with Mapopolis, and thus far, have not had any complaints, save that there was a missing address in it. The Bellevue Best Buy in Seattle is not on there, it is a new store, but is like 6 months old now, not reall "brand new".