View Full Version : Q: Turning off system beeps

two_wheels
12-31-2002, 01:47 AM
I was wondering if anybody here knows of a way to turn off the system beeps & pops that are played when you open menus and select items from them. They get really annoying. I don't want to mute all of the sounds, just those.

Thanks!

Kati Compton
12-31-2002, 01:49 AM
Oh please oh please oh please. I hate those. I want to keep all the other sounds, but I don't want to hear about it when I use a menu. I just kept forgetting to bring it up myself. Thank you! :)

spg
12-31-2002, 02:44 AM
I hate those too. They can get annoying very fast. What I do is in the PPC settings area there is a "Sounds & Notifications" area. In here you can disable event sounds, this seems to do the trick for me.

JonnoB
12-31-2002, 02:47 AM
What annoys me is when I have my Pocket PC off, turn it on and then get all of the waiting notifications all at once. If there are many due tasks and appointments, my device starts chiming a tune... ding ding, ding ding, ding ding...

spg
12-31-2002, 02:49 AM
What annoys me is when I have my Pocket PC off, turn it on and then get all of the waiting notifications all at once. If there are many due tasks and appointments, my device starts chiming a tune... ding ding, ding ding, ding ding...
You can turn those off in the sounds and notifications area as well, but then of course at the times when you wanted to hear it... Well, just try not to be late for that meeting. :)

JonnoB
12-31-2002, 02:53 AM
You can turn those off in the sounds and notifications area as well, but then of course at the times when you wanted to hear it... Well, just try not to be late for that meeting. :)

That is just the point. I want to hear them.... but when I turn my device on, I only need to hear one notification, not 10 for each of the 10 waiting notifications.

spg
12-31-2002, 02:54 AM

That is just the point. I want to hear them.... but when I turn my device on, I only need to hear one notification, not 10 for each of the 10 waiting notifications.
Sounds like a new software idea. :-) You know Microsoft fixed this type of thing on the desktop PC when they released Office XP. Maybe the Pocket PC is next?

Janak Parekh
12-31-2002, 03:00 AM
There is a simple way to eliminate selective sounds, I believe: find the .WAV file in \Windows corresponding to the sound you want to nuke, and overwrite it with a 0-byte equivalent. The file will still be in ROM if you do a hard reset (or in RAM if you back it up first). I haven't tried this, but have vague memories of people doing it from years ago.

As for me, I turn everything off. I use my organizer too much in meetings to risk a game or something making noise. In fact I mute the volume on top in case a program doesn't listen to my preferences. This is a big reason why I want the 5450. :)

--janak

JonnoB
12-31-2002, 03:03 AM
Sounds like a new software idea. :-) You know Microsoft fixed this type of thing on the desktop PC when they released Office XP. Maybe the Pocket PC is next?

Actually, when using Office XP (Outlook 2002) with Exchange as the default message store (could be the same with a PST?), multiple notifications do the same thing as the Pocket PC. If there are 5 waiting tasks when I start Outlook, I get 5 successive beeps. Not that big of a deal because I usually leave OL running all the time, but on my Pocket PC, it is common for me to turn it off and on regularly.

spg
12-31-2002, 03:10 AM

Actually, when using Office XP (Outlook 2002) with Exchange as the default message store (could be the same with a PST?), multiple notifications do the same thing as the Pocket PC. If there are 5 waiting tasks when I start Outlook, I get 5 successive beeps. Not that big of a deal because I usually leave OL running all the time, but on my Pocket PC, it is common for me to turn it off and on regularly.
Hmmm.... Mine does not do that. I get one beep (or whatever it is) and one notification window for all my events. I use PST though, although I'm not sure what the difference would be there?

JonnoB
12-31-2002, 03:14 AM
Hmmm.... Mine does not do that. I get one beep (or whatever it is) and one notification window for all my events. I use PST though, although I'm not sure what the difference would be there?

I also get one for each event... but when there are multiple events waiting to send notifications on, I get a beep for each event all at once on startup. There is only one window, but they stream in 1, 2, 3, 4, then 5 reminders in about 1/2 a second.

Pony99CA
12-31-2002, 11:44 AM
I hate those too. They can get annoying very fast. What I do is in the PPC settings area there is a "Sounds & Notifications" area. In here you can disable event sounds, this seems to do the trick for me.
I don't mind the beeps, and I keep my Pocket PC set to loud, too. :-P

However, be careful with your suggestion. Yes, you can turn off system events in Sounds & Notifications by unchecking Events (and maybe Screen taps). This will get rid of sounds when you drop down the Start menu or click on a menu item, but it will also mute system warnings. If you don't mind not getting sounds for warnings, though, your suggestion will work.

Maybe Microsoft should have separate controls for trivial events (like menu taps) and important events (like error messages). Allowing us to set different sounds for events, screen taps and hardware buttons would also be nice.

Steve

Janak Parekh
12-31-2002, 05:11 PM
Maybe Microsoft should have separate controls for trivial events (like menu taps) and important events (like error messages). Allowing us to set different sounds for events, screen taps and hardware buttons would also be nice.
They should use the Windows interface for such things, which works fine. The .WAV swapping trick should be an acceptable workaround, tho.

--janak

Video11
12-31-2002, 05:31 PM
I also get one for each event... but when there are multiple events waiting to send notifications on, I get a beep for each event all at once on startup. There is only one window, but they stream in 1, 2, 3, 4, then 5 reminders in about 1/2 a second.

I used to have my notification *.wav as a Tarzan yell. That was pretty embarassing when Tarzan did five yells in a row when I turned it on. :lol:

I've since changed my notification wav to something boring.