View Full Version : Ipaq 1910 and windows media install problems...

air-turk
12-30-2002, 07:48 AM
If anybody is having problems with installing windows media player to their hp1910 pda, this might help.

I actually spent an hour uninstallating and reinstalling everything but did not work. Finally, I called HP tech service, a rep, named Omar, helped me fix this problem. I was almost going to return this nice pda to the store tomorrow, but now I get to keep it :)

Symptom: Everytime I tried to install windows media player 8 for pocketPC's from the cd, it was installing the update. Pls not this is not the real program, but the update. So when I click on the windows media link in start menu, it was complaining it couldn't find some files.

It turns out, I had windows media files from a previous pda partnership (long story made short, I had to buy 1910 because my 3845 was stolen) and since 3845 had windows media player installed, the 1910 setup cd was installing the update, thinking media player was already installed.

1. Connect your pda. Open activesync, and REMOVE any windows media related items from you add/remove window. In other words, check media player related items and click REMOVE button.
2. Open you windows explorer, go to C:\program files\microsoft activesync\ and delete the folder "Windows Media Player 8".
3. Reinstall windows media player 8 for pocketpc's from the 1910 cd. This time it should go thru.
4. Before running the media player, go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/pocket/playerupdate.asp and install the update.
5. Perform software reset.

Go should be golden now! Thanks Omar.

Kirkaiya
12-30-2002, 06:16 PM
Hey, that's exactly what I suggested doing (and for the same reason), inthis thread here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6340) like a week ago.

Hmmph!! Ya see? People just need to read everything I post, and they'd be all set (and probably insane, of course, but that's besides the point).

air-turk
12-30-2002, 06:52 PM
Hi Kirkaiya,

I read your post in the other thread, actually it was one of the first things I tried before even checking pocketpcthoughts. I knew your comments when I posted this, however, I still posted because I saw one difference. For my case, which was going from 3845 to 1910, I actualy had to delete the WMP folder in ActiveSync. Otherwise it wouldn't work.

I share your thoughts about people should check previous posts, and build up on what is already out there. Repeating the same thing over and over again is a waste of time and money.

Thanks for you feedback.

air-turk
12-30-2002, 06:57 PM
I should've put a reference to your post.

Kirkaiya
12-31-2002, 09:58 PM
Wow - i was just teasing you, man!!!

And I probably would have had the same problem (moved from ipaq 3650 to Viewsonic V35 to iPaq 1910), but I did my "Remove from Desktop and Mobile device" checkbox in ActiveSync, and that worked - I didn't actually have to go in and manually remove the folder, but same idea).

Anyway, I was basically just whining for some attention, no worries! 8)