View Full Version : Smart Media Memory Card 128MB

Xtreme23
12-30-2002, 04:02 AM
Hey does anyone know if Axim supports this type of card... and what's the appreviation for this ... is it MMC ?

if it is supported by Axim, which slot does it go into the SD slot or CF ?

Thanx for any input!

Xtreme23
12-30-2002, 04:03 AM
Oh and does anyone know what's the differences between all the cards... that are commonly used and which one is amongst the best to use...

Secure Digital CArd
Compact Flash card..

and the Memory Media CArd .. if it's supported by Axim.

fargonaz
12-30-2002, 04:31 AM
Smart media is not supported natively, but pretec has an adapter
http://www.pretec.com/index2/product/Mobile_peripherals/CompactSSFDC.htm
that will accept upto 128 smart media.
I personally, went sd media for memory because I'll be needing the cf for a wifi card.
Good luck.

Janak Parekh
12-30-2002, 04:38 AM
As fargonaz says, SM, or SmartMedia, is not natively supported by the Dell. In fact, it's not natively supported by any Pocket PC. I hate to say this, but SmartMedia is a "dead" storage medium -- it was one of the first popular flash formats, and used in early cameras, but between SD, MS, and CF, it has little adoption today.

What's worse is the SM folks are upset about this, and are inventing a new memory standard, called xD.

--janak

ultimate_ed
12-30-2002, 04:38 AM
One thing I can say for sure - No on the Smart Media support for Axim. The Axim has two slots, one for Compact Flash, and another for Secure Digital/Multi Media Cards.

As I understand it so far, in order of speed, from fastest to slowest
1. Compact Flash
2. Secure Digital
3. Mulit Media Card

It sounds like the MMC cards are a dying breed, being essentially replaced by Secure Digital. I had read an article somewhere from a google search Friday talking about the different types of compact flash, but I can't the link anymore. I'll post it if I come across the story again.

As for the best to use, there are several threads debating that one. In terms of the Axim, CF is going to be cheaper for the same amount of MB's, and faster as well. However, using the CF slot for storage prevents you from using a WiFi/BlueTooth/GPS CF based adapter at the same time, and the Axim's SD slot does not support SDIO, so you'll never be using a SD form factor WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS device.

As for me, once I get my Axim, I'm going to live with the built in RAM/ROM as long as I can and see what prices look like when I've filled that up. For me, I see about a 5% chance of me having a use for either WiFi or Bluetooth, so I would probably lean towards a CF storage card, myself.

Ultimate_ED

Pony99CA
12-30-2002, 06:22 AM
Hey does anyone know if Axim supports this type of card... and what's the appreviation for this ... is it MMC ?

if it is supported by Axim, which slot does it go into the SD slot or CF!

Am I the only person wondering if you mean Smart Media or MMC?

If you really mean Smart Media, the abbreviation is SM and it's not natively compatible with Dell. As others have said, there are adapters to allow using Smart Media in a CF slot.

If you mean MMC, that's MultiMedia Card, as is compatible with the Dell. You would put it in the SD slot.

Steve

JonnoB
12-30-2002, 06:53 AM
It sounds like the MMC cards are a dying breed, being essentially replaced by Secure Digital.

The SD slots on Pocket PC devices can read MMC cards fine... so if you have memory already in MMC format, you will be able to read them fine.

Smart Media as already stated is a dead horse.