View Full Version : CF

jutae
12-29-2002, 11:07 PM
Why does HP keep making Ipaqs with integrated SD slots instead of CF slots? I wonder how many Loox and Toshiba users would have bought an Ipaq if it had an integrated CF slot?

Johnny

Sheynk
12-30-2002, 12:16 AM
Well.................First of all......its woul have been bigger when naked

second of all SD wil emerge as the main technology....

And now forget what i just said and remember this concept: MORE MONEY

If I buy things seperatly...thats more MONEY

MONEY MONEY MONEY.....please continue on with the ABBA song

Fishie
12-30-2002, 01:02 AM
Well.................First of all......its woul have been bigger when naked

second of all SD wil emerge as the main technology....

And now forget what i just said and remember this concept: MORE MONEY

If I buy things seperatly...thats more MONEY

MONEY MONEY MONEY.....please continue on with the ABBA song

Its so funny.
Its a rich mans world.

Sheynk
12-30-2002, 02:14 AM
:silly:

Janak Parekh
12-30-2002, 04:02 AM
Money aside, if you've opened an iPaq, there's not really space in there to put a CF slot.

--janak

Pony99CA
12-30-2002, 05:33 AM
Why does HP keep making Ipaqs with integrated SD slots instead of CF slots? I wonder how many Loox and Toshiba users would have bought an Ipaq if it had an integrated CF slot?

Assuming this isn't a rhetoric question, which iPAQs do you mean?

If you mean the 3800s, 3900s, 5400s, etc., it's because a CF slot would likely make them too big for existing sleeves. As an owner of an iPAQ 3650 and 3870, I'd be upset if my dual PCMCIA sleeve and NavMan GPS sleeve didn't work with a new model.

If you mean the 1910, it's because they wouldn't be able to claim it's the smallest Pocket PC available and they likely couldn't price it below $300.

Steve

don dre
12-30-2002, 06:44 PM
As much as I'd love to have a CF slot, I wouldn;t want the ipaq anybigger. I'd rather have the 5450 (though 128mg RAM would have been nice) with the built-in wireless features than just the slots. I rarely use my microdrive but when I do, it's generally in situations where I don;t mind the extra heft. I would like to see 128mb RAM since there are so many nice app's now. I saw the 1910 at Best Buy this weekend and was impressed. I originally thought it was a sad attempt at the low end but the size and screen amazed me. No other pda at that price looks so good. It was sleek, something my girlfriend might be seen holding.

Sven Johannsen
12-30-2002, 07:00 PM
It was sleek, something my girlfriend might be seen holding.

Now she'll be expecting one for her birthday or something :lol:

jutae
12-30-2002, 07:35 PM
It's just that there are so many cf cards out there other than many memory. My wireless card, gps card, micro drive, camera and external presenter are all cf cards.

Johnny

FredMurphy
12-30-2002, 07:56 PM
jatae,

I completely agree with you - that's why I still have a Jornada 568. A CF slot would make any device a little bigger but pretty much negate the need for an great big ugly sleeve. Devices appear in CF form fairly quickly and as SD cards are significantly smaller, SDIO peripherals takes ages to come out are are much more expensive. Can't see that changing within the next 2 years.

It does seem from sales figures that most people prefer the iPAQ form, but it's a good thing that there are enough manufacturers producing different style devices to keep up all (well, most of us) happy.

Still waiting for the device that will make me upgrade (CF, protected screen, next gen OS). This (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6317) might be it.....

Fred

Pony99CA
12-31-2002, 08:41 AM
I completely agree with you - that's why I still have a Jornada 568. A CF slot would make any device a little bigger but pretty much negate the need for an great big ugly sleeve.

Doesn't the Jornada 568 have only a Type I CF slot? Has that ever limited your selection?

It does seem from sales figures that most people prefer the iPAQ form, but it's a good thing that there are enough manufacturers producing different style devices to keep up all (well, most of us) happy.

I'm not sure the iPAQ form itself is that popular now. It was when it first came out, because very few Pocket PCs had any slots, and the iPAQ was very sexy (if that can be applied to any computer :-)). The iPAQ may be popular now because of many factors: lots of good features, lots of hardware support or simple inertia from people like me who have invested in sleeves. :-)

Steve

FredMurphy
12-31-2002, 12:07 PM
Doesn't the Jornada 568 have only a Type I CF slot? Has that ever limited your selection?

Not really - a couple of 802.11b cards I considered were type II but I liked my Socket Bluetooth card and didn't mind paying a bit more for their type I 802.11b card. Microdrives initially seemed large and relatively cheap but I was worried about their fragility and that seems to have been proven by other people's experiences. Still would prefer a type II slot I suppose.

I'm not sure the iPAQ form itself is that popular now. It was when it first came out, because very few Pocket PCs had any slots, and the iPAQ was very sexy (if that can be applied to any computer :-)). The iPAQ may be popular now because of many factors: lots of good features, lots of hardware support or simple inertia from people like me who have invested in sleeves. :-)

You could be right - I was really just pre-empting the "Your Jornada is rubbish. My iPAQ is great. Look how many have been sold. Which one got discontinued?" kind of reply. :)

Fred