View Full Version : Wondering About the New Post Count?

Jason Dunn
12-29-2002, 08:35 AM
Those of you who are regulars in the forums and use the "Show posts since last visit" may have been wondering why new posts are being reported but they don't show up. Confused? Well, it's our little post-dating system. You see, we've added a timer to the phpBB interface that allows us to create a post but not have it show up until a certain time. These posts show up as "new", but only administrators can see them.<br /><br />Why the sudden spike in post-dated posts? Something big is coming up on January 1st. Stay tuned for more info! :D

igreen
12-29-2002, 08:44 AM
Good lord man! Don't you ever sleep? :D

FredMurphy
12-29-2002, 12:20 PM
But *24* hidden posts..... you've really got me wondering!

Maybe it's a load of expired NDAs regarding the upcoming 2003 models. :D

Fred

JvanEkris
12-29-2002, 12:43 PM
It's christmas all over again: lots of interesting packages you can see, wondering what is in it.......

I was always the one that would shake the boxes to find out what was in it....

Jaap

Kati Compton
12-29-2002, 06:00 PM
I hope you're not shaking your monitor to find out what's in the posts.... All the bits might fall out. ;)

mscdex
12-29-2002, 07:50 PM
Something big is gonna happen on New Years, eh? Is PocketPCThoughts giving out free Axims to the first 50 people who respond to a thread? :D :wink:

Janak Parekh
12-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Something big is gonna happen on New Years, eh? Is PocketPCThoughts giving out free Axims to the first 50 people who respond to a thread? :D :wink:
Ha! We wish... actually, if we had 50 Axims, each of us would have 6 or so :D But you do definitely want to check out the site on Wednesday.

--janak

JonnoB
12-29-2002, 09:04 PM
Here is one wish for a mobile viewable message board....... :D

mookie123
12-29-2002, 09:53 PM
what will happen in January 1st!!!..somebody tell me. the suspense is killing me.

Jonathon Watkins
12-30-2002, 12:22 AM
Ha! We wish... actually, if we had 50 Axims, each of us would have 6 or so :D But you do definitely want to check out the site on Wednesday.

--janak

HA! I check it every day :wink: (or try to anyway :roll:)

Looking forward to...... whatever it is you guys are cooking up. :P

Daniel
12-30-2002, 12:46 AM
Can we get a hint? C'mon just a little one? :)

Daniel

Kati Compton
12-30-2002, 12:50 AM
Is it bigger than a breadbox? Is it touching the floor? Do I wear it? Is it red? Does it use electricity? Is it alive? Does it make sound? Is it soft? Is it round? Does it have moving parts? Is it edible? Can I open it? Does it give off light? Can I put things in it? Is it wet? Can it decompose? Is it expensive? Do I have one already?

Steven Cedrone
12-30-2002, 01:11 AM
Is it bigger than a breadbox? Is it touching the floor? Do I wear it? Is it red? Does it use electricity? Is it alive? Does it make sound? Is it soft? Is it round? Does it have moving parts? Is it edible? Can I open it? Does it give off light? Can I put things in it? Is it wet? Can it decompose? Is it expensive? Do I have one already?

Yes.... :wink:

Steve

mscdex
12-30-2002, 01:19 AM

--janak

Hmmm, ok... so if you're not giving away free Axims, then......... how about free onHand PC watches? :P

Jhokur2k
12-30-2002, 03:21 AM
The complete library of Spb software? :p

Janak Parekh
12-30-2002, 03:42 AM
HA! I check it every day :wink: (or try to anyway :roll:)
That won't be enough on Wednesday -- note how many "future posts" there are. :D

Start practicing the reload key...

--janak

Janak Parekh
12-30-2002, 03:44 AM
Is it bigger than a breadbox?Probably not.
Is it touching the floor?If you want it to.
Do I wear it?Not unless you're desperate.
Is it red?Maybe some of it?
Does it use electricity?Sort of.
Is it alive?No.
Does it make sound?Some of it.
Is it soft?Hmm, I've never tried to characterize it that way. ;)
Is it round?Some of it?
Does it have moving parts?No, but some of it works with moving parts.
Is it edible?Not by you.
Can I open it?Yes.
Does it give off light?No.
Can I put things in it?If you really want to...
Is it wet?Not unless you put it in water ;)
Can it decompose?I guess.
Is it expensive?Depends on your budget.
Do I have one already?Maybe.

Was that helpful enough? ;)

--janak

mscdex
12-30-2002, 04:27 AM
Nope that didn't help too much. How many letters does it have and what letter does it start with? :wink:

mookie123
12-30-2002, 04:46 AM
Is it dancing Koala? did I get it right? did I? did I?

mscdex
12-30-2002, 05:05 AM
Perhaps a Segway? :lol:

Janak Parekh
12-30-2002, 05:39 AM
Is it dancing Koala? did I get it right? did I? did I?
No, but if you have an animated GIF of one we might be able to squeeze it in somewhere. :lol:

mscdex: a Segway? Don't you think the PPCT editors would... ahem... "keep" it for review? ;)

--janak

mscdex
12-30-2002, 06:02 AM
Well, you keep stressing that it's going to be something "big", so I thought hey, a Segway giveaway, now that's something big. :D

Jason Dunn
12-30-2002, 07:01 AM
Perhaps a Segway? :lol:

I only wish we had the budget for that! :lol:

Bob Anderson
12-30-2002, 07:12 AM
Well, I ordinarily don't like to wish my life away... but if it's "big" and coming from Pocket PC Thoughts it's probably worth it :wink:

So right after I watch the Space Needle do "it's thing" for New Year's, I'll have to run up to my PC and see what it shows me for this site!

Dave Conger
12-30-2002, 07:23 AM
I am a little worried...what could take 24 posts to explain....

It must be really big.

Kati Compton
12-30-2002, 04:42 PM
Announcement about a new OS version?

Janak Parekh
12-30-2002, 04:48 PM
Announcement about a new OS version?
Maybe, but that would be one interesting announcement should it be distributed across 24 posts.

Post 1: "Announcing"
Post 2: "The"
Post 3: "New"
Post 4: "Pocket PC"
Post 5: "OS"

;)

--janak

mookie123
12-30-2002, 04:58 PM
the other 19 posts are "updates" and rants of course :P

JvanEkris
12-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Or a thread per new feature of the OS:

Post 1: working alarms
post 2: .....

Jaap

Kati Compton
12-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Alright.

1. New OS Version
2. .NET fully available for programmers
3. The features you're most happy to see in the new OS
4. The features that should have been in the OS but aren't.
5. Sony is coming out with a PocketPC that uses their "new" Memory stick technology
6. Memory sticks suck
etc.

;)

Either that, or this board is going to become the center of eVC programming information, hints, tips, etc. Right? ;) I mean, there's deVBuzz and several books for the eVB-ers, but the eVC crowd is left out a bit...

Janak Parekh
12-30-2002, 06:47 PM
1. New OS Version
2. .NET fully available for programmers
5. Sony is coming out with a PocketPC that uses their "new" Memory stick technology
Hmm, that would be the biggest day in Pocket PC history if all three happened on the same day. 8O

Re eVCers: once C#/.NET are out for CE, I think you'll see everyone move to that platform pretty quickly. I've seen C#, and you can program stuff in it ridiculously fast. Very Java-like, with a lot of the language problems fixed (operator overloading, packaging, etc.), plus the .NET API is just much, much cleaner. Windows Forms is cool. :)

--janak

mscdex
12-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Ok, I guess I was just let out in the dark about this, but, what are you talking about 24 posts? Where do you get this number....? :?

Janak Parekh
12-31-2002, 03:26 AM
Ok, I guess I was just let out in the dark about this, but, what are you talking about 24 posts? Where do you get this number....? :?
Look at the "New Posts" screen carefully.

--janak

Jhokur2k
12-31-2002, 06:35 PM
Well now that they've posted on the main page about checking the site on new years, it's clicked :) Have to remember the old adage about beers in a case...