View Full Version : Settings to Encode WMV for PocketPC?

ultimate_ed
12-29-2002, 03:28 AM
I posted this question over on the Adobe Premiere forums, but no response so far.

I'll be getting a Axim X5 here pretty soon, and I would like to reencode some of the videos of my baby girl optimized for the video screen of the PPC.

Is anyone here using Premiere to render video for PPC, and if so, what settings are you using for the Windows Media encoding interface to get a good display and keep the file size from getting excessive. I would think, with the small display size, I could keep the full 30fps

And, having read the thread on the DIVX player, I wonder, would I be better off getting a DIVX encoder and using that instead of Windows Media?

Thanks to all,
--ED

rave
12-29-2002, 06:37 AM
Just encode the video using the Windows Media Video V7 codec, at 320x240 resolution. V8 and V9 are more processor-intensive, and could result in choppy video. As for the bitrate, it depends on how much distortion ("artifacts") you are willing to accommodate and how big a file you're willing to store. A value above 200kbps is safe enough, and you could go lower if you're encoding low-motion video or cartoons. Also make sure to at least try out variable bitrate encoding (VBR).

My little comment on DiVX: Version 5 is buggy. I haven't encoded a clip without those ugly, "where did that come from" random color artifacts. I figured that you must be more of an uber-mediaphile to harness the controls without getting encoding errors. WMV is practically error-free.

Besides, I think WMV looks and performs better than DiVX. I also think DiVX is popular only because there are people who hate Microsoft. But that is just my opinion. :)

octop8
12-29-2002, 12:52 PM
I am using WME 9 and WMP 8.5 on my PPC. Is it true that WMP 8.5 can play WME 9 encoded files? I cannot play the WME 9 files on my PPC. When I encode the file using V8 or V7 for video, there is no audio. Under audio, WME 9 only allows for V9 audio without any option for selecting earlier versions.

rave
12-30-2002, 05:14 AM
The Windows Media Audio decoding algorithms were locked starting at version 8. This means that audio encoded using any future version codec will still run on any device capable of playing V8 audio (that includes Media Player 7.1 and later versions).

As for video, they mean to lock it at version 9.

As for your specific problem, octop8, let me just say that V9-encoded audio plays without any problems on my device. I used to have that problem in the past, and a hard-reset seemed to fix things for me (though there may be subtler solutions). I have a 3835, ROM version 1.20 and EUU3. :)