View Full Version : Bluetooth

Gallivant
12-28-2002, 10:05 PM
I'm a little unsure on how Bluetooth works. Am I correct in thinking that if I have a Bluetooth card in my PPC, and a Bluetooth-capable cell phone, I could dial up to an ISP and have internet access anywhere I have cell service, albeit at a slow rate?

Janak Parekh
12-28-2002, 10:48 PM
You got it :)

You might also want to consider some cell providers' "high-speed" services -- you'll get something closer to 56kbps as opposed to the 9600-14.4 you'll get when dialing up.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
12-28-2002, 11:05 PM
Is it a given that if you have a BT enabled cell phone, your cell provider supports data calls? And/or your plan supports it?

Janak Parekh
12-28-2002, 11:49 PM
Is it a given that if you have a BT enabled cell phone, your cell provider supports data calls? And/or your plan supports it?
OK, so we now get down to the details. Unfortunately, the answer is "no". For example, AT&T GSM/GPRS in the US does not allow outgoing data "calls" -- the only data connections they allow are GPRS connections to their own network. You can't dial your own ISP with them. With T-Mobile, you can, although the speed is only going to be about 9.6kbps.

However, it is safe to say that any Bluetooth phone sold is sold on a data-capable network... at least in the US :)

--janak

Jorgen
12-29-2002, 07:35 AM
You can also buy a Bluetooth dongle for your PC and synchronise your PDA. I do so with my Palm Tungsten T (but use Wi-fi for my hp-568). It should be possible to browse the Internet over BT, probably using some IP sharing program, but I have not got that to work yet.

Bluetooth is a low-power, relatively slow, short distance (typically 10 meters, though you can buy more powerful adapters), wireless serial connection as opposed to Wi-fi, which is something like 5 times faster, usually works over longer distances and uses far more power.

Jorgen

daS
01-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Bluetooth enabled phones (such as the Sony-Ericsson T68i) and a Bluetooth Pocket PC are best when combined with GPRS as opposed to circuit-switched data connections.

However, I think that all US carriers will allow at least SMS messaging regardless of your data plan. Programs like mPhone from www.Mobem.com allow you to read and write your SMS messages on the Pocket PC and send them via the Bluetooth connected phone.

David Shier
www.BluetoothNews.com

handheldplanet
01-03-2003, 10:09 PM
I've owned/used T68's and GPRS services with both AT&T and T-Mobile and I can highly recommend them. AT&T's configuration software is by far the easiest to use - T-mobile's customer service was pretty good at helping to set up the connection (they recommended that I bypass their software).

Good Luck!