View Full Version : Installing/moving programs to CF

whodat
12-28-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I've just downloaded some fairly large medical reference programs, & would like to run them from the CF card rather than RAM. How can I install them on the CF card?

A related issue: I tried using the Resco Explorer to move another program to the CF card (by copying it to the clipboard & then pasting to the CF, then deleting it from RAM). Now I still have the program's icon in the Programs menu, but I get a "cannot find" error message when I tap the icon. I can open the program from the card using the Resco file explorer.
Is there a better way to move files and/or programs?
Is there some way to edit the path so that when I tap the icon it willl open the program?

Overall I like what I've seen of PPC (it's a helluvalot better than Palm), but file management was so much easier in EPOC!

Thanks.

Kati Compton
12-28-2002, 09:24 PM
A related issue: I tried using the Resco Explorer to move another program to the CF card (by copying it to the clipboard & then pasting to the CF, then deleting it from RAM). Now I still have the program's icon in the Programs menu, but I get a "cannot find" error message when I tap the icon. I can open the program from the card using the Resco file explorer.

If the program still works when you access it directly from the sound card, delete the old icon in the Programs menu, then copy a shortcut to the program (browse to it, select copy), then browse to the programs directory and do "paste shortcut".

whodat
12-28-2002, 09:29 PM
I've been trying to delete the icon but can't.

Kati Compton
12-28-2002, 10:08 PM
I've been trying to delete the icon but can't.

Try doing it from the desktop side.

Doug Rausch
01-01-2003, 03:00 PM
In the end you may be farther a head to remove the program entirely from your PPC and reinstall. When you are asked by activesync if you want to install in the default location say no and give it a location on your CF card. When the CF card is not installed you will get a generic application icon on your programs folder. With the card inserted you get the programs icon and it can be launched.

A word of caution - some programs will not work, or not work error free from a CF card. The programs readme file may have some info or just revert to trial and error.

Doug