View Full Version : Toshiba + SanDisk = crap

jdavis
12-28-2002, 02:40 AM
Is anyone else here having these problems with sandisk cards? I'm having a hell of a time formatting my 128 meg sandisk in my toshiba e330 and am giving up on it and complaining to sandisk. I've heard it's a big problem - anyone else getting screwed over?

Janak Parekh
12-28-2002, 03:49 AM
There have been scattered reports of problems with Sandisk cards -- but it's not clear why. There have also been people reporting success.

Either Sandisk has a higher failure rate, or it's just more popular than the rest. You should try exchanging it for another Sandisk, or a Panasonic/Toshiba. The latter two get fewer complaints, but again, there's nothing certain here.

See the SD deal thread from a week ago for more discussion...

--janak

KyleC
12-30-2002, 03:35 AM
I have no technical data to offer you except that my 128MB SanDisk SD card works perfectly on my Toshiba e310. You must have a defective SD card (or handheld) :twisted:

Jhokur2k
12-30-2002, 03:41 AM
Just got a 256MB SD card from Sandisk - works great...

KyleC
12-30-2002, 03:51 AM
See the SD deal thread from a week ago for more discussion...

For conveinience, I have copied the URL below:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5967

jdavis
12-31-2002, 08:31 AM
The QA at SanDisk must be a mess. I suppose they figure it's cheaper to replace cards then test to make sure they work properly. However, they have finally agreed to replace my card. I'll be afraid to use the new one once it gets here. :roll:

dean_shan
01-01-2003, 11:20 AM
I'm having the same problem too. I have a 128 SanDisk card that has been a pain. I have had to reformat it half a dozen times. And now it has freaked out and will only let put 10megs on it before the system tells me it's full but the disk utilities say that the card is error free and full of space :x. I need to talk to SanDisk about this. Arrrrgg!!!

Delta737
01-01-2003, 02:06 PM
No problems here. My Sandisk 128MB SD-card works fine in my e310

hyonj
01-04-2003, 09:23 AM
I believe that there is a known issue w/ Sandisk and the Toshibas. If you want to save yourself the possible headache, go with a different brand. If you want to take your chances and save some money, try the Sandisk. Why do you think it's so much cheaper than the others? :? I asked the same thing before I bought mine. I bought it locally, JUST IN CASE, so that I could return it, but thankfully, mine works well thus far. :) It's been about 4-5 months.

Someone else mentioned that it appears to be a bad batch in the CA area? Hope it's resolved for you.

Delta737
01-04-2003, 09:27 AM
I believe that there is a known issue w/ Sandisk and the Toshibas. If you want to save yourself the possible headache, go with a different brand. If you want to take your chances and save some money, try the Sandisk.

Or go for another PPC brand :P :wink: :D

KyleC
01-04-2003, 12:32 PM
I believe that there is a known issue w/ Sandisk and the Toshibas. If you want to save yourself the possible headache, go with a different brand. If you want to take your chances and save some money, try the Sandisk.

Or go for another PPC brand :P :wink: :D

Or not. Toshiba has always been a good company that brings cutting-edge technology to a global market at a bargain price. Now I sound like a PR rep... 0X

hyonj
01-04-2003, 05:08 PM
:D Well, yes, a different brand of PPC may resolve the issue as well. Guess I forgot that alternative. ;) One path is less expensive than the other. :lol: Besides, there is no form factor in the PPC arena that matches the Toshiba e310, e330 & e335 in my opinion.

Delta737
01-05-2003, 09:48 AM
:D Well, yes, a different brand of PPC may resolve the issue as well. Guess I forgot that alternative. ;) One path is less expensive than the other. :lol: Besides, there is no form factor in the PPC arena that matches the Toshiba e310, e330 & e335 in my opinion.

Well, another brand may provide longer than 6 months support for a device (see what happened with the e310, and yes, I'm one of the angry owners). And besides, the form factor of the Ipaq 1910 or ViewSonic V35 is pretty good as well

dean_shan
01-10-2003, 04:24 AM
I finally got it all worked out with SanDisk. Yes there is a known problem with the 128MB SDcard and the Toshiba e740. Good thing SanDisk has a five year warranty on their memory cards I don't have the cash right now to get a new card. They are replacing my 128 for two 64MB cards. Save your self the headache and buy a diffrent brand of SD card for your tosh.

hgwte
01-10-2003, 04:58 PM
I have a 32MB SanDisk card and I had to reformat it once or twice but that was actuall y my fault. I was installing a application and I took out my Pocket PC before it was done. But other than that it has been no problem. I also have a Simpletech SD 128MB and it works fine. I am using them both in my Audiovox Maestro with no problem.

joefriday223
01-10-2003, 08:53 PM
i just got a 128 mb sandisk for my e335 and when I put it in it wipped out everything!!! I mean EVERYHTHING too. It was like doing a hard reset. I got the white screen of nothingness and had to retore the whole system (good thing I had backed up just prior). Other than that the card seems to be working fine, I've loaded a bunch of mp3s in it and erased them and rewrote others and haven't had any problems. One thing that is rather annoying though is that there is only 120mb available on the card out of the package. The packageing says user accessible area is 125.8mb Does anybody know why this is, I would like to have those 5mb back to use.

mashtim
01-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Ok, people, this is NOT a new problem. There have been "alerts" out for quite some time now that Toshiba PPCs and 128MB Sandisk SD cards have some kind of incompatibilty issues. Personally, I went through two of them before I gave up.

That said, I've had a 256MB Sandisk SD card in my e740 for about 3-4 months now and it works like a dream! (Knock on wood)

I'm not sure if they make the 128MB SDs in a seperate facility with shoddier quality controls or what, but I would DEFINITELY suggest you spend the extra cash and go for the 256MB, as the odds are NOT on your side with the 128MB. Besides, there's no such thing as TOO muchmemory, right? :wink:

lucia316
01-11-2003, 01:40 AM
I find all the specuation funny. :wink:

The issue for as long as I have known, as stated above, is only with the Sandisk 128MB SD card and not just e740, but all Tosh PDAs. Agreed, you may want to get another brand if you 128MB or get a larger or smaller Sandisk card. Good luck with your 2 64 MB cards. I am sure they will be fine.

L316 8)