View Full Version : WiFi Flying High

marlof
12-28-2002, 04:00 AM
<a href="http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/CuttingEdge/cuttingedge021220.html">http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/CuttingEdge/cuttingedge021220.html</a><br /><br />Since wireless networking is really taking off, it's not suprising to see people wanting to take it to a higher level. Atlanta based Sanswire Technologies together with Canadian airship maker 21st Century Airships is developing Stratellites that should go up in the air, providing WiFi to the masses. "These high-tech blimps could carry up to 4,000 pounds of telecommunications gear and float it up to 13 miles into the stratosphere. At that height, far above any conventional commercial air traffic or turbulent weather patterns, the Stratellite would act as a wireless communications hub to provide wireless voice and data services for an area of up to 300,000 square miles."

Anthony Caruana
12-28-2002, 04:38 AM
The cost of this isn't really mentioned in the article but I can't imagine that floating a number of these airships in the atmosphere will be cheap.

The issues of the "last mile" conenction are more to do with cost than with technology. At the end of the day you can lay a cable to a remote location.

However, that said, such a solution would get widespread support in Australia where the distance between some properties and addequate infrastructure are huge. But only if the price was right and the service reliable.

jdavis
12-28-2002, 05:32 AM
Can I just say that that is SO COOL. :P

Giant blimps beaming down wi-fi goodness. It doesn't get much better than that.

ricksfiona
12-28-2002, 05:55 AM
If the cost for WiFi is around $15 - $20/month, I'd go for it.

JonnoB
12-28-2002, 06:11 AM
This would be a good potential military application if expensive permanent sattelites were not available..... giving troops in the field real-time network access. Now, to keep a blimp from being shot down.....

Goosey
12-28-2002, 07:08 AM
Very cool.. but how does it work? How can WiFi have that type of range

mscdex
12-28-2002, 07:41 PM
Now if the someone in the U.S. would do something like this :roll: , that would be great! But only if the usage was unlimited and priced around $15-20/month. 8)

snayar
12-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Now if the someone in the U.S. would do something like this :roll: , that would be great! But only if the usage was unlimited around priced around $15-20/month. 8)

I doubt it, if the Department Of Homeland Security keeps considering WiFi as a threat. :evil: :twisted: :roll: