View Full Version : Database Programs

Kati Compton
12-27-2002, 04:36 AM
I need a database program, and I'm having trouble deciding which to get. I want custom forms. I want a desktop interface for the data. I have Access already on my Office CD, although I don't have to use that.
Either way I want the pocket version to sync easily with the desktop version. In fact, I expect to mostly do the data entry on the PC and data viewing on the PocketPC.

Ideally, in the forms I'd be able to list results from multiple records. HanDbase seems to simulate this by letting you have multiple "views" of a particular table, but with the nice forms I think you can only view data from one particular record at a time.

Relational database would be nice, but it's not actually important for the data I need to track at the moment (potential jobs, which includes application status, contact information, job location, salary, benefits, etc).

I have a $20 "rebate" coupon from Handango, which only applies to certain software including abcDB, which is why right now I'm leaning in that direction (free is good). Plus the manual makes it look like you can create forms that can list multiple records.

HanDBase has the advantage, though, of having many many (too many?) user databases available for download, including ones from the Palm side that will work with PocketPC.

So I know very little about abcDB and HanDBase, and NOTHING about the others. I'd appreciate hearing pros/cons of the various applications.

FYI - I didn't include VisualCE because it's just not in my price range if I want a non-lite version (needed to get desktop syncronization). I want to spend <= $30.

Gremmie
12-27-2002, 05:05 AM
I've used HanDBase, but I wanted to use forms and intergrate with Access so I use ABC DB so I can sync my tables and create custom forms for both the PC and PPC without having to manage them after creation. I use it for a book database and also to keep track of the different economic working papers for school. It works really well.

RDC
12-27-2002, 05:57 AM
I've used HanDBase, but I wanted to use forms and intergrate with Access so I use ABC DB so I can sync my tables .....

So, your forms in Access wouldn't sync with HanDBase?

I've been itching to pick up HanDBase or some equivalent to sync with my work Access database. Having the Access forms sync with my PPC is essential.

Thanks,
Chad

Gremmie
12-27-2002, 06:10 AM
No, you can get your Access data to hanDBase but its not smooth. I guess I should clarify, your tables from access can by imported to the PPC, however, the forms must be recreated on the PPC with ABC DB.

Since the forms change the table data, you can keep your data kept synced, however you have to create two forms, Access created forms for the PC, and ABC created forms for the PPC. However they both reference the same data (table data).

Its actually quite nice, the forms are my PPC are simple and form factored to my small screen. The PC has some nice graphical interface that would be far to large for my PPC.

Lets put it this way, if your good with Access, get ABC DB...if your looking for an advanced excel get HanDBase. Although the professional version of HanDBase is a totally different story, the simple version of ABC DB is powerful. RDC, I think you'd want ABC DB, but they, thats what trials are for ;)

Rondjones54
12-27-2002, 01:49 PM
I use Pocket PC Creations because at work my department has 5 pocket pc's. They can all sync with the program and it's pretty easy to set up forms and tables.

RDC
12-27-2002, 02:46 PM
No, you can get your Access data to hanDBase but its not smooth. I guess I should clarify, your tables from access can by imported to the PPC, however, the forms must be recreated on the PPC with ABC DB.

Great explanation! Thank you, Gremmie.

Chad