View Full Version : Halftone display method found while checking patents on Eye drops. Hmm.

ECOslin
12-27-2002, 03:54 AM
United States Patent 6,496,194
Mikoshiba , et al. December 17, 2002

Halftone display method and display apparatus for reducing halftone disturbances occurring in moving image portions

Abstract
A halftone display method utilizes an activation sequence, having a plurality of luminance blocks predefined in each frame or field to display an image and having redundancy, that enables one gray-scale level to be expressed by any one of a plurality of combinations of subframes (luminance blocks). When determining luminance blocks for use to display gray scale of an arbitrary first pixel, the luminance blocks to be used for the first pixel are selected in accordance with a predetermined rule, based on how the luminance blocks are used for a second pixel located in close proximity to the first pixel. In this way, by actively utilizing the redundancy of the activation sequence, the occurrence of moving-image false contours (false color contours) in video can be minimized, and also a motion compensation equalizing pulse method can be effectively applied to further improve the image display quality.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=20&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ft00&s1=Eye&s2=Drops&OS=Eye+AND+Drops&RS=Eye+AND+Drops

ECOslin
12-27-2002, 06:51 PM
I'm not an expert on this, but I think this seems to be describing most video compression schemes that are out already.

Edward

Janak Parekh
12-27-2002, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure, since I'm no expert on video compression, but if that's the case it'll be struck down pretty easily.

It's possible they have a unique twist or two...

--janak