View Full Version : Staples fails to adequately secure PDAs

KyleC
12-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Yesterday, on Christmas Eve, I went to a Staples store and briefly perused the PDA section. On display was a brand new iPAQ h1910 connected to a charging cable. I turned it on and realized just what all the hype was about the screen. It was phenominal compared to me e310! And because of the form factor and small size, the entire device was mostly the screen. Wow...

Then I noticed a small silver switch on the right hand side of the handheld - the batter replacement switch. Once I moved the switch, most of the back cover popped off, and I took off the rest of it to leave me with a fully functional, brand new, $300 PDA free from the security system, which was glued and tethered to the back of the battery casing. Once I unpluged the power cord, I could walk freely with it, and even take it. What should I do?

I never strayed far from the display, and once the manager came around, I informed her of the situation, gave her the handheld, and she thanked me and took it. She assured me that they would find a better way of attaching it to the security system. The manager must have been relieved, for she had a mere Zire on her waist.

The question is: I did the right thing, didn't I? Even though I was smitten with the h1910, I knew it was wrong to take it without paying for it. It was probably the hardest thing that I ever had to do; to give up something that I wanted badly, and quite frankly, could have gotten away with stealing it.

I've decided to run a little poll to see how the morals of the Thoughts readers would play into the scenario. Would most of them give it back, as I did? Or would they take advantage of the poor security and be the proud owners of a brand new handheld? Please vote honestly. I won't be upset if you would have chosen otherwise. :wink:

Edit: This is my 75th post (not that I'm counting) and I've also taken the liberty of voting myself! :D

Janak Parekh
12-25-2002, 09:20 PM
The question is: I did the right thing, didn't I? Even though I was smitten with the h1910, I knew it was wrong to take it without paying for it. It was probably the hardest thing that I ever had to do; to give up something that I wanted badly, and quite frankly, could have gotten away with stealing it.
Why the question? You certainly did the "right thing", morally speaking. I think the (so far unanimous) vote seems to agree with me.

Incidentally, there are smatterings of deals to get the 1910 for ~ $199. Keep on watching the stores. It'll be interesting to see if they get discounted post-Christmas as well...

--janak

Mona13
12-25-2002, 10:38 PM
Stores should not have to "secure" their merchandise so that people won't steal it. Reality is that it's not that way though. Just because something is possible to steal because it isn't locked down, doesn't mean that makes it OK.

It's sad and costly that stores have to go to such drastic measures to prevent theft. If more people would do the right thing, then costs for everyone would go down. Figure in the cost of security personnel, security tags, mirrors and tools, etc. that's quite a bit of extras that adds to the cost of each item sold.

GoldKey
12-26-2002, 12:24 AM
I'm glad you did not take it.

Rirath
12-26-2002, 12:59 AM
You've got a few flawed steps in your logic. From working at Staples, I can tell you a few things. First off, it's not uncommon. The systems are there as step 1 to prevent you from taking stuff. I set up several of them myself. Step 2 is the tons of video cameras watching your every move. Had you walked out with that system, they'd known. Don't be surprised if someone you never even noticed on the other side of the store was watching you, and if so you wouldn't have got past the front doors.

Shoplifting isn't a cute subject for a poll.

Roosterman
12-26-2002, 02:35 AM
Feel good in doing what you know was right :D . A great saying that I try to incorporate in my life is "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." I think our society has in general moved a bit more to the "If I can why not?"

Brad Adrian
12-26-2002, 03:03 AM
Of course, this seems like a no-brainer -- to most people. It's still kind of scary that there are a few people out there who would take the device simply because they could.

Paul P
12-27-2002, 04:29 AM
Say, where is that Staples store located? I want to personally make sure that the 1910 is safe and secure. Just kidding. You did the right thing.

szamot
12-27-2002, 08:30 AM
What’s this forum turning into – “Chicken Soup for the whinny ass Pocket PC-less Soul” I think YOU have cheapen all of us in this community for even thinking about it. So this time you resisted the temptation, the next time you will walk away with one? If you have to ask if stealing is wrong you are at the wrong forum. Steward Smoley daily affirmations are elsewhere. If we had :super advanced: Minority Report, or a :thought police: you would be in jail.

Rirath
12-27-2002, 01:23 PM
If we had Minority Report you would be in jail.

Erm... actually, it wouldn't detect theft, and it wouldn't detect intentions, only actions. But yeah, other than that last sentence, agreed. :wink:

szamot
12-27-2002, 06:39 PM
Erm... actually, it wouldn't detect theft, and it wouldn't detect intentions, only actions. But yeah, other than that last sentence, agreed. :wink:

you're right, and I stand corrected. I think Greed was pegged as No.1 cardinal sin on slashdot site - and this thread is a fine example of it.