View Full Version : Movie Posters That Talk Back

Janak Parekh
12-26-2002, 10:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/12/technology/circuits/12post.html' target='_blank'>http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/12/t...its/12post.html</a><br /><br /></div>Since a lot of you were probably watching movies yesterday, you might be interested to know that in the future, movie posters may talk back to you and may be actively watching you. 8O<br /><br /><i>"With his displays, he said, studios can collect general information that can help their marketing efforts, like how many times their posters and trailers are shown, how many people were intrigued enough to walk up to them, how long they looked at them, even how close they got to them. Eventually the displays may also be able to obtain more specific data on individual consumers' tastes by reading electronic "smart cards'' that patrons would receive by volunteering information about themselves and their moviegoing habits in return for discounts."</i><br /><br />(registration required for link)

mel
12-27-2002, 03:02 AM
somewhat related: I heard on NPR today that a company is working on technology which lets billboards on the side of roads know what radio station you're listening to as you drive by. Then based on that radio station's listener demographics, the billboard can automatically change it's ads. e.g: if 60% of the cars driving past a billboard between 5-7pm are listening to a hip hop station, the ad being displayed during that time can be targeted towards a hip hop audience.

Ainvar
12-27-2002, 03:27 AM
Sounds too much like Minority Report or that old game by Bullfrog called Syndicate and Syndicate Wars.

How far can they control are minds once they start acting more aggressive in this?

sub_tex
12-27-2002, 03:37 AM
agreed.

I hate the direction all of this tech is heading.

T-Will
12-27-2002, 04:00 AM
Cool technology, but I'm afraid of where it could eventually lead to on the slippery slope...

mel
12-27-2002, 04:24 AM
I sorta like the idea because it makes sense from a marketing perspective. At least with this technology you're seeing ads for products that relate to you. e.g: if I (male) walk into a mall, and some Victoria's Secret ads changed into Docker's ads, i wouldn't have a problem with that....same as the billboards, if I'm listening to a hiphop station in my car, the billboards would be more appealing if they were advertising a new J Lo album as opposed to the Carpenters.

sub_tex
12-27-2002, 05:15 AM
See, i'm all for the opposite.

Diversity is the key. Just because i'm listening to music type X doesn't mean i want to see billboards relating to that type. It's assumptions like that that would piss me off more than anything.

Sometimes ads for things someone in my family might like are more helpful to me than ones that may have been targeted for what someone thinks i want or am interested in.

Steven Cedrone
12-27-2002, 06:47 AM
e.g: if I (male) walk into a mall, and some Victoria's Secret ads changed into Docker's ads, i wouldn't have a problem with that....

Hmmm...

For me, it's the opposite, I'd much rather see the Dockers ads turn into Victoria Secrets ads... :wink:

Steve

don dre
12-27-2002, 02:54 PM
I watched minority report last ngiht and those ads would be extremely irritating. The last thing I want is the ads talking to me. At least now I can ignore them. I can see it now "Agitated young male arrested for assaulting ads in mall."

Ainvar
12-27-2002, 03:09 PM
If I want to see personalized ads, then I will look at the ones that I want to look at. I for one hate spam in all its forms. I think commercials are stupid they may pay for the things I am watching or may keep that tv station in biz but look at them and one of the first words that pop to mind is stupid.
I rarely listen to a radio station unless it is a news station for one reason and one reason only. Radio stations play the heck out of what is new and most do not have a good mix/seslection. The same for tv stations, I think I watch the weather channel more than any other channel. If I want to watch tv I pop in a dvd. If I want to see what is at the theatres I use fandango or another move site that I can tolerate with there backwards appeal to looking for a movie. If there were more station like there are in NY for techno then I would listen to a radio station more. But this hiphop, alternative, played out J lo or some other pointless rap song that does not say much except on how to get in someones pants or steal your woman is not what I call quality. I have a nice host file I got from kazaalite and have added about 200 more sites to it to block ads. using a link logger and logging program for your router cuts out alot of pop ups and ads that dont appeal to me. very few show up even here on pocketpcthoughts.

I guess it all boils down to this, If I want someone or some company to know about me then I will tell them the information I wish them to know. I really dont care for the spam that is pushed at me today due to it is pointless and a waste of my time. Time is something that none of us has a infinite amount of. Why waste your time with the pointless and mindless spam that is pushed at us today. If you want to know what I like then ask direct questions on what appeals to me.

P.S. if you are going to push an ad at me make it a nice victoria secret model or a nice bikini ad. I dont wear dockers I wear Structure pants. I wear them cause they last not cause of the price or the lame silly ads you see.

JonnoB
12-27-2002, 10:02 PM
Sounds too much like Minority Report or that old game by Bullfrog called Syndicate and Syndicate Wars.

How far can they control are minds once they start acting more aggressive in this?

I thought that the retina eye-scanning billboard was the coolest thing of the future in Minority Report. Seemed a bit intrusive, but so would many technologies we take for granted today would have seemed 50 years ago.