View Full Version : My setup CD for Axim won't start up!

Xtreme23
12-23-2002, 06:55 AM
I've tried to run my setup cd and it won't start up and i tried to check the dell site for the softwares... i was trying to find IA presentation software which i can't seem to find either.

blazingwolf
12-23-2002, 03:18 PM
What do you mean by it won't run? Do you mean that it will not autorun. Have you tried to start the cd by going into my computer and then to your cdrom and telling it to open(right click on the cdrom icon). If that failed have you called Dell to see if you can get a replacement CD?

velvi
12-24-2002, 05:30 AM
I had the same problem & realized the problem was the stop pop-up windows program. Pretty dumb of Dell not to forsee this.

Xtreme23
12-24-2002, 05:46 AM
ohhh that's it! i just d/l a pop up stopper! ok now i can fix it.

smapdi636
12-24-2002, 03:40 PM
I had the same problem & realized the problem was the stop pop-up windows program. Pretty dumb of Dell not to forsee this.

I disagree. There are TONS of websites and (more importantly) web applications that RELY on pop-ups. I do not think this was poor planning. It's unfortunate that advertisers have tainted this functionality by abusing it, but this is what has happened.

It's a relatively new problem and I'm sure in the near future you will see more companies taking "popup stoppers" in to consideration when designing applications.

inlimbo
12-24-2002, 04:02 PM
NOT Dell's fault or problem - it is simply a function of the InstallShield application (or whatever they are using) -

Sven Johannsen
12-24-2002, 08:40 PM

Yea, pretty dumb of Dell not to develop software that would ignore your pop-up stopper. They could sell that technology to the advertisers.

velvi
12-24-2002, 11:24 PM
What I really meant was that it was dumb of DELL not to forsee the problem AND WARN about it. Obviously once you know the problem it is easy to resolve by closing the window stopper program.

inlimbo
12-25-2002, 01:09 AM
Dell neither developed Installshield nor the Activesync software - that would be in Billy Gates' corner - all Dell does is repackage and include with their swwet version of a Pocket PC.....

Reagrdless for those of you who have to wait on Santa in the morning...you are gonna love it.

Merry Xmas - be safe if travelling tomorrow.

Inlimbo

Yea, pretty dumb of Dell not to develop software that would ignore your pop-up stopper. They could sell that technology to the advertisers.

Cudalac
12-29-2002, 07:15 AM
What I really meant was that it was dumb of DELL not to forsee the problem AND WARN about it.

It's best practice that before loading new software you should close all applications first. Too many people think they can just pop in a cd or plug in a device while the instruction manual still sits in the box, then rant about how it won't load/work. Do we need manuals twice as thick to account for the many different problems that can occur just loading a piece of software?

Kati Compton
12-29-2002, 09:12 AM
It's best practice that before loading new software you should close all applications first.

Personally, I don't always think to close things in the system tray (such as my popup killer)... Usually needing to close apps is to avoid conflicts between files/registry info being open that need to be modified by the installing program, so depending on what I'm installing I won't always close everything. This case was the first one that I had a program actually (purposely) interfere with the installation process.