View Full Version : How to listen to listen/watch over network

sparky472
12-22-2002, 05:59 PM
I've been doing a lot of web searches and I still need some help here. New to PPC. I ave my ppc networked with my desktop. I would like to play mp3s and watch videos that are on the desktop over the network without copying them to the ppc. I'm completely confused as to how to go about doing this. Can anyone offer me some advice? I have WMP8, Pocketdivx and pockettv on my ppc. Thanks

JonnoB
12-22-2002, 06:26 PM
This is what you can do... download one of the free tools that allows you to map a network connection (assume WiFi here) to a virtual storage card. Put your MP3 files as a share on that network connection. Open the file from the share or create playlists.

I do this to watch small formatted movies (like BMW Films) and to listen to WMA and MP3 files.

sparky472
12-22-2002, 06:30 PM
Yes, wifi. What's a virtual storage card? Do you have any names of such software? Is that different from trying to open one of these files over the network (accessing the fiule on the desktop from the ppc)? I ask because when I do that, the file simply won't open.

JonnoB
12-23-2002, 01:26 AM
Yes, wifi. What's a virtual storage card? Do you have any names of such software? Is that different from trying to open one of these files over the network (accessing the fiule on the desktop from the ppc)? I ask because when I do that, the file simply won't open.

I have tried NetUse and NetRunner. Both basically do the same thing. They can turn a network share into a volume within a virtual storage card called 'Network'

Here is NetRunner (http://www.pcdemano.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=51)
and here is NetUse (http://www.bizzdev.com/en/downloads/netuse/)

sparky472
12-23-2002, 01:41 AM
Got it, thanks! Now I understand a little mroe about how this thing works.

nosmohtac
07-18-2003, 03:57 AM
I tried netrunner, but I am new to wireless. I couldn't get it to map my computer. I had a connection already, and when I tried to start netrunner, it gave me an error 53.

can you use the default path and local name?