View Full Version : Warning about using IBM 340MB Microdrive Card and WiFi

mobilebuddha
12-22-2002, 01:16 AM
Hello everyone, just got my e740 last night.. :) it's amazing. The last PDA that I owned was the 1st Sony Clie.. what a difference a year and half makes.. LOL

anyway, among the goodies in the box, I got this sheet w/ a warning on it that says do not use WiFi and the IBM 340 MB Microdrive together. Is this warning referring to all IBM Microdrives? This was one of the reasons why I bought the e740 -> I can use the existing CF slot for a microdrive instead of a CF based WiFi card (if I bought some other brand of PDA)

Has anyone had experience w/ this setup? (the e740 w/ WiFi and a IBM Microdrive)

Thanks!

Gremmie
12-22-2002, 01:58 AM
Its been a known issue; the WiFi and a 340MB Microdrive uses too much power. The 1GB drive uses less RPM's and is more power efficent, I run the 1GB drive and it works well.

mashtim
12-22-2002, 03:22 AM
I was under the impression that EUU3 fixed that problem, though.

Fixes:
-Corrected an issue where WiFi required approximately 5 minutes to obtain new DHCP-supplied IP address when moving from one WiFi network to another.
-Corrected an issue where Pocket Internet Explorer could not access Hotmail and other secure websites without first downloading and installing High Encryption Software.
-Corrected a server synchronization issue.
-Corrected an issue where the battery pack lock did not turn off unit before battery can be removed.
-Corrected an issue where a false low battery message appears when the main battery falls to around 50% remaining.
-Corrected an issue where it was impossible to begin Chat using a Bluetooth SD Card without first downloading and installing a registry patch.
-Corrected an issue where data written to the 340MB IBM MicroDrive could be corrupted when the WiFi antenna switch was on.
-Corrected an issue that caused poor video display performance.

Enhancements:
-Improved system performance
-New Media Player with much better performance and a new skin
-New Today theme and new branding
-Pocket Internet Explorer now supports the Tab key

Gremmie
12-22-2002, 04:55 AM
Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that, it was fixed in the EUU3, people have seemed to be able to use it with the update.

mobilebuddha
12-22-2002, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Now I have another question that's somewhat related to this.

When I go online to see what the prices are for the 1GB microdrive, it seems that there are two different 1GB Microdrive models. They are:

1) IBM 1GB Microdrive Card - the interface is CF II, spinspeed is 3600RPM, data transfer rate is 32Mbps, enclosure is external

2) IBM Microdrive 1GB CF+ - the interface is CF+, spinspeed is 4500RPM, data transfer rate is 13.3Mbps, encloser is plugin module

I presume I need to order the Microdrive 1GB CF+?

Please let me know! :) If you have any comments on the Microdrive itself, please let me know!

Steven Cedrone
12-22-2002, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Now I have another question that's somewhat related to this.

When I go online to see what the prices are for the 1GB microdrive, it seems that there are two different 1GB Microdrive models. They are:

1) IBM 1GB Microdrive Card - the interface is CF II, spinspeed is 3600RPM, data transfer rate is 32Mbps, enclosure is external

2) IBM Microdrive 1GB CF+ - the interface is CF+, spinspeed is 4500RPM, data transfer rate is 13.3Mbps, encloser is plugin module

I presume I need to order the Microdrive 1GB CF+?

Please let me know! :) If you have any comments on the Microdrive itself, please let me know!

As far as I know, unless it's specifically stated as a having a CF+ slot, you don't have one. The E740 is listed as having a CFII slot, so I would go with that...

Steve

Gremmie
12-22-2002, 06:08 AM
3600 RPM

Janak Parekh
12-22-2002, 06:19 AM
Actually, #2 doesn't exist. 1GB only exists as a 3600RPM, "CF+ type II". That's what IBM calls it (I'm looking at the back of my drive).

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/table.htm has the lowdown.

I'm also massively confused about the "enclosure" bit. What do they mean by "external"? :?

I'd go by the product number, myself. Also see http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/micro/prodinfo.htm .

Stupid question, by the way: why are you getting a Microdrive as opposed to 512MB or 1GB CF Flash? You do realize the power drain with both the MD and the WLAN is going to be immense, right? The e740 is not one to set battery records in the first place...

--janak

mobilebuddha
12-22-2002, 08:40 AM
hmm.. according to cnet there are 2 of these beasts. :)

well the reason why i picked that is cuz of the cost. the other reason is cuz i didn't know that there are 1gb CF cards..

now that i looked up some 1gb CF cards.. anyone got a brand that they recommend?

thanks. :)

mobilebuddha
12-22-2002, 08:54 PM
just in case anyone wonder about the 2 devices that i was referring to on CNET:

http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/1,10231,0-9717414-311-20409804,00.html
the part # on it is 07N4071, this one is the External enclosure, CF II interface one w/ 3600rpm, 32Mbps transfer rate.

here's the other device that i was talking about, part # 07N5571
http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-11469-311-4470770.html?tag=st.sh.sr.pl.pr4470770
this one's the CF+ device w/ 4500rpm, 13.3Mbps

i guess the main reason for me to look at the microdrive is that they are are selling for -barely- over 200 dollars, compared to around 500 for a 1GB CF card..

anyway, comments would be appreciated. :) thanks![/url]

Janak Parekh
12-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's a typo.

In any case, I still suggest going for a CF card -- maybe 512MB, for which you can get some deals -- unless you really need the 1GB. I have one, but on an iPaq with a CF+ sleeve with an additional battery. If you use the drive sustained it really eats up the battery quite quickly.

--janak

mobilebuddha
12-23-2002, 12:22 AM
i see.

the reason for a 1gb microdrive or a normal cf card is cuz i'd like to store some music and divx movies on it.

does anyone know how many movies I can store on a 512mb card? (standard size in terms of resolution, whatever it is for the pocket pc platform)

thanks!

Gremmie
12-23-2002, 12:52 AM
For me, each movie is two files (buffering reasons), and are about 80MB a piece =180MB per movie.

Delta737
12-23-2002, 08:05 AM
80 X 2 = 160 I believe :lol: :wink:

mobilebuddha
12-23-2002, 08:36 AM
this may be a bit off topic, but can you explain the buffering reason behind having 2 files? is it just by opening 2 files it takes shorter time cuz the pda go through the 80 mb file faster than going thru a single 160mb file?

thanks. :)

Gremmie
12-24-2002, 01:35 AM
err, sorry, bad math...

Essentially, two little files are easier to load. Remember microdrives are hard drives and become fragmented. I've never been a big Defrag fan so I keep the files partialled. Also, a search feature (fast forward/rewind) doesn't really work well, so keeping the files split make it easier to find your spot.