View Full Version : 3400mAh Secondary Battery Available!!!

Sslixtis
12-21-2002, 09:24 PM
It's finally available! It was listed under Customize It, but not Handheld accessories, so I called and it is available so I ordered mine :lol:

Arrival time on or before Jan. 7 :wink:

Now all I need is for The Pocket Solution to make an Anodized Aluminium flip cover for my baby and I'm set!!

Cheers!

Fzara
12-21-2002, 09:48 PM
Bah. Thats a good post. WHat I dont understand, is if they sell the high capacity battery, why not let the high capacity battery be sold default, for people like me who dont care aboutt he size and want that extra juice, without spending money for the low capac. battery?

If you really LOVE your Axim, get this new high capacity battery, but make use of it with the Total Remote solution which allows higher farther IR communication, and a nice giant 512CF Card :D

Rirath
12-21-2002, 09:52 PM
If you really LOVE your Axim, get this new high capacity battery

No need for it, personally. The Axim has splendid battery life as is for my use.

Three cheers for Total Remote though, I love that IR via headphone jack. Debating if I should order TR, but I love the shape and feel of my TiVo remote.

TheBacklash
12-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Same here... I have yet to run the battery down enough to need a second battery, let alone a high cap battery.

With the same usage my Ipaq needed to be charged daily... I don't *have* to charge the Axim every day... If I miss a day, the battery life is very long.

Sslixtis
12-21-2002, 10:34 PM
Ok, so I don't NEED the High Cap Battery. :lol: I have only ran the battery down enough to have to swap out the battery twice. However, with the wonderfully low power consumption of the Axim and the High Cap Battery, I should NEVER have to swap it out. Well, hopefully, surfing the web and using IM over wireless takes a good bit of juice.

Anyway, I just wanted to let the community know just in case there was anyone else that wanted it. :wink:

Cheers!

Janak Parekh
12-21-2002, 10:42 PM
Ok, so I don't NEED the High Cap Battery. :lol: I have only ran the battery down enough to have to swap out the battery twice.
I could see the high-capacity battery being useful for a road trip. Since it's 2.5 times the regular capacity, it might be good enough to last a couple weeks of light usage.

Post some pics when you get it, if you can :)

--janak

GoldKey
12-21-2002, 11:21 PM
But I think it would be nice as an option on the original purchase to get the 3400 battery instead of the 1440 battery. This would be great for those who would like the power to run the thing all day without swapping, but can charge it up a night. They would never really need to swap, but could save a few bucks by not having to first get the 1440 and then pay for the 3400.

takotchi
12-22-2002, 07:01 AM
Off-topic...

Those of you that have the total remote, does it block the CF slot? I kind of wanted to use a LinkSys WCF12 and the TotalRemote at the same time, and I was wondering if that's possible. I know some CF cards block the headphone socket, but the WCF12 is the same width (the antenna does not extend outwards)...

Jhokur2k
12-23-2002, 05:05 PM
I should call them up and ask them if the sync cable is available too... I knew I should have left it in :| I need to get both (batt & cable) :D

Sslixtis
01-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Well as usual, Dell got the Extended battery to me way earlier than Jan. 7, I received it on Dec. 31 :wink: Anyway, on to my thoughts on the extended battery...Sorry no pics, a digital camera is on the todo list though :)

The 3400mAh Extended Battery is roughly twice the size and weight of the Standard 1400mAh Battery, and fits into the battery well roughly the same as the Extended Battery for the HP Jornada 56x series. The additional size is in depth not length or width. While it is not uncomfortable to hold it does add considerable weight to the unit.

With the already awesome battery life of the Axim, the Extended Battery is a wonder to behold in action. Seven solid hours of reading an eBook, with the screen on Max brightness, took me to 71% battery remaining. If you have to be away from a power source for any extended period of time and don't want to carry additional batteries this battery is the way to go.

My overall conclusion is that while it is nice to have, it is not a requirment like the Extended Battery for the HP Jornada 56x was. The excellent battery life of the Axim makes the Standard Battery more than sufficiant for most users, even power users. However, people traveling alot or wishing to not have to charge their PPC often, should consider this battery as the answer to their dreams. I'll definitely be keeping mine for trips and/or situations where I want to be absolutely sure of my power supply! 8)

Cheers!

Janak Parekh
01-02-2003, 06:12 PM
With the already awesome battery life of the Axim, the Extended Battery is a wonder to behold in action. Seven solid hours of reading an eBook, with the screen on Max brightness, took me to 71% battery remaining.
Wow. 8O Sounds like you should just operate on max brightness from now on. :D

You have the 400MHz unit, right? I wonder how much longer the 300MHz units would last...

--janak

Sslixtis
01-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Janak ParekhWow. Sounds like you should just operate on max brightness from now on.

You have the 400MHz unit, right? I wonder how much longer the 300MHz units would last...

LOL, I do operate on Max brightness all the time, that's why I was interested in the Extended Battery. :wink: I was having to do atleast 1, sometimes 2, battery swaps a day while on vacation. I'm addicted to eBooks, I finished off about 1 eBook a day/day and a half while on Christmas vacation.

And yes, I have the 400Mhz Axim, with 256Mb SD card and 256 CF card. I also use a Symbol Wireless Networker CF card as well so I'm kind of hard on my batteries!

I'm not sure if the battery life of 300Mhz model would be much better than the 400Mhz model though, due to the excellent scaling of the processor on the Axim. While I'm sure there would be some, I'm not sure it would be very noticeable unless you were running the two units at max processor speed the whole time :)