View Full Version : Mail Server DNS Issues Finally Resolved?

Jason Dunn
12-21-2002, 08:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pocketpcthoughts.com' target='_blank'>http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsr...tpcthoughts.com</a><br /><br /></div>Ok, we've finally got the DNS issues with our mail server sorted out, so I think maybe, just maybe, 100% of you should start receiving notification messages. Ok, maybe 99% of you since some of you aren't using valid email addresses (now that your email is completely spam-proofed, I'd encourage you to use a valid email address).<br /><br />Start to monitor some threads and see what happens.

JonnoB
12-21-2002, 03:51 PM
Start to monitor some threads and see what happens.

Just don't turn on an 'out of office' rule for your email that will fill up Jason's mailbox with auto-responses :)

Ed Hansberry
12-21-2002, 06:12 PM
Start to monitor some threads and see what happens.

Just don't turn on an 'out of office' rule for your email that will fill up Jason's mailbox with auto-responses :)

Autoresponders should only reply to the first email from a sender, not all of them, and I think those get killed when replied to anyway. :)

JonnoB
12-21-2002, 06:42 PM
Autoresponders should only reply to the first email from a sender, not all of them, and I think those get killed when replied to anyway. :)

You would think that (it is usually the case)... but for some reason it was not working that way from my Exchange Server to the admin address.

Ed Hansberry
12-21-2002, 08:06 PM

You would think that (it is usually the case)... but for some reason it was not working that way from my Exchange Server to the admin address.
Really? That is odd. I can't even find a way in Outlook XP or Exchange 2000 to allow multiple replies to the same address. Of course, if you log in to your email profile and turn off the out of office auto reply and turn it back on, the counter is reset.

Are you using a general rule to reply or the Out Of Office Assistant? A general rule will fire off a reply for every email.

JonnoB
12-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Really? That is odd. I can't even find a way in Outlook XP or Exchange 2000 to allow multiple replies to the same address. Of course, if you log in to your email profile and turn off the out of office auto reply and turn it back on, the counter is reset.

Are you using a general rule to reply or the Out Of Office Assistant? A general rule will fire off a reply for every email.

Out of office assistant. It works normally, Jason reported however he was getting multiple notifications - as if the notifications were coming from multiple people.

BTW, you can trigger multiple responses using server-side or client (Outlook) rules. In my case however, the Exchange Server based Out of Office appeared to be the culprit.

Janak Parekh
12-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Out of office assistant. It works normally, Jason reported however he was getting multiple notifications - as if the notifications were coming from multiple people.

BTW, you can trigger multiple responses using server-side or client (Outlook) rules. In my case however, the Exchange Server based Out of Office appeared to be the culprit.
Weird, weird, weird! Maybe it's possible one email was bouncing around. While you can use client- or server-side rules to do multiple OOO notifications (there's a new acronym :P), I've had many customers ask me how to do it via the Assistant, and my response has always been "you can't".

--janak

JonnoB
12-21-2002, 11:07 PM
I've had many customers ask me how to do it via the Assistant, and my response has always been "you can't".

--janak

You can add additional rules to the Out of Office assistant that executes when out of office is on. With those rules, you can do just about anything including sending custom reply messages.

When I am 'out of office,' I usually have Outlook running in offline mode using an OST (offline store) and sync with the server. When offline, you can't rely on local client rules wizards to do the work, so I make use of the server side rules and when the default options are not enough, create custom add-ins to do what I need.

Janak Parekh
12-22-2002, 12:34 AM
You can add additional rules to the Out of Office assistant that executes when out of office is on. With those rules, you can do just about anything including sending custom reply messages.
Actually, that's true; wasn't thinking of it that way. I never suggest setting up rules to my customers unless I'm there, since the average Joe isn't the most proficient person when it comes to rule processing/creation. What I've been looking for is a server-side way to flip a switch and have it send a notification for each email that comes in. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to exist.

--janak

JonnoB
12-22-2002, 03:44 AM
What I've been looking for is a server-side way to flip a switch and have it send a notification for each email that comes in. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to exist.

--janak

There is quite a bit of available server scripting samples available. Take a look at http://www.slipstick.com/dev/scripting.htm

There are other resources as well. Happy scripting!

Janak Parekh
12-22-2002, 04:18 AM
There is quite a bit of available server scripting samples available. Take a look at http://www.slipstick.com/dev/scripting.htm
Hmm, knew about the scripting, don't know if it'll fulfill the purpose, but I'll look sometime. Personally, I think sending out a bounce for every message is evil, so I'm not putting this on a high priority. :)

In any case, talk about hijacking the thread ;) FWIW, I am now getting all my notifications correctly.

--janak

JonnoB
12-22-2002, 04:40 AM
In any case, talk about hijacking the thread ;) FWIW, I am now getting all my notifications correctly.

--janak

Back to the thread.... getting notifications - me too. :)

Jonathon Watkins
12-22-2002, 02:23 PM
I'm certianly getting all the notification as far as I can see. I was having problems not getting them, but it apprears to be OK now.