View Full Version : 10% Savings On iPAQ 5455

Brad Adrian
12-21-2002, 05:43 AM
<a href="http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?product_code=900612">http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?product_code=900612</a><br /><br />If you're thinking of buying a new iPAQ 5455, you can get a pretty good deal if you buy it directly from the HP online store. If you use the discount code <i><b>SV1578</b></i> when you check out, you will recieve a $70 discount and free two-day shipping. HP is already throwing in a free leather case in the deal, so it's a pretty attractive package.<br /><br />I have absolutely NO idea how long the discount code will be valid, though, so don't wait too long.

Pony99CA
12-21-2002, 09:02 AM
For those of you who hate hunting for things, here's the HP 5455 link (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?product_code=900612). I simulated an order, and they're still accepting the coupon. :-)

Steve

rcobourn
12-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Whee, $49.99 for next day shipping! :evil:

Paul P
12-21-2002, 06:06 PM
Whee, $49.99 for next day shipping! :evil:

I bought mine couple of day ago. They had free 2 day FedEx and shipped my package within hours (must be some kind of record, at least in my book).

Their Ground shipping is $30 bucks. For $660, you're still saving $40-50 over any competitor (plus the free case), so I'd be willing to wait for that. The real advantage of buying from HP is their return policy.

dhoward
12-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Free Shipping expired on Friday midnight 12/20/02.

10% Discount good until 12/31/02.

skypilot
12-21-2002, 10:51 PM
[quote=rcobourn] The real advantage of buying from HP is their return policy.

What about their return policy is so great? Is it the 30 days that you like?

Foo Fighter
12-21-2002, 10:55 PM
The Gadgeteer crew is having a lot of problems with their units. The 5455 may be a lemon.

Paul P
12-21-2002, 11:21 PM
[quote=rcobourn] The real advantage of buying from HP is their return policy.

What about their return policy is so great? Is it the 30 days that you like?

Most online stores will not let you return if anything is wrong (short of CDW/Bestbuy/CircuitCity...with the latter 2 charging taxes). I am not a believer in not being to return a defective product and immediately having to use the warranty out of the box. It's not the 30 days that I like, it's the fact that I can return it, period. So it's important to check the return policy.

I am mostly worried about deadpixels. Many people have had deadpixels with their 3955/75s. I don't know if it's bad luck, but deadpixels seem to follow me. I've recently had to return a laptop due to four deadpixels on the screen, and just yesterday I discovered 2 deadpixels on my Axim.

Paul P
12-21-2002, 11:31 PM
The Gadgeteer crew is having a lot of problems with their units. The 5455 may be a lemon.

Little ironic, I saw this on their website after posting:

Typical! I have a dead pixel in the lower-middle of my 5455's screen, the cover-pack that came with it has already started wearing a groove/scratch in the side, and so far the battery life appears to S*CK...and that's with the Bluetooth and WiFi turned off. :0/ I am going to have to do a controlled test with Battery Monitor to see if it's as bad as I think it is...

He ordered from Mobile Planet, let's see if he will have any luck replacing it for a new unit.

profe
12-22-2002, 12:23 AM
HP is being a little sneaky on this one. If you read "What's in the box," you'll discover that they pulled the cradle out and want to sell it to you for another $40, making the total discount only $30, or 4.2% discount! :evil:

Also, it appears the free shipping offer expired Friday night. :cry:

I checked the box at CompUSA and the cradle IS included in the standard retail package.

I wish companies wouldn't make it so hard on consumers to get an honest, yet good deal. :(

Pony99CA
12-22-2002, 04:26 PM
HP is being a little sneaky on this one. If you read "What's in the box," you'll discover that they pulled the cradle out and want to sell it to you for another $40, making the total discount only $30, or 4.2% discount! :evil:

Also, it appears the free shipping offer expired Friday night. :cry:

I checked the box at CompUSA and the cradle IS included in the standard retail package.

Good catch, but are you sure CompUSA was selling the 5455, not the 5450? I checked HP's Web site (http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/specifications/0,12513,series=96475%5Etype=64929%5Ecategory=215383,00.html?lsidebarLayId=79&rsidebarLayId=64), and it listed the cradle as part of the 5450. You do get a sync cable and an AC adapter with the 5455, though, so you don't need to buy a cradle.

Steve

profe
12-22-2002, 11:08 PM
I think you're right that the number used through retail outlets, namely CompUSA, is the 5450 and it comes with the cradles rather than just the cable.

I've noticed that HP uses this kind of numbering system to differentiate models that are, for all intents and purposes, identical, yet may come with differing packaging.

For example, with the 3970 and 3975, the former was marketed through the university bookstore I frequent, and the latter was available at CompUSA. If memory serves me well, Costco also sold the models with numbers ending in -0 rather than -5. I never paid attention to any differences in packaging, except that those at the university bookstore came in plain brown boxes rather than in the fancy printed boxes.

By the way, how do you guys find out about these "secret" numbers that allow discounts?

Thanks for the information.

-Alan

tiwahu
12-23-2002, 04:03 AM
By the way, how do you guys find out about these "secret" numbers that allow discounts?

http://www.techbargains.com/

Enjoy...

Daniel
12-23-2002, 04:03 AM
I really want one of these but I'm going to wait until the other companies release their competing devices I think.

Anyone heard anything about other new products?

Danie