View Full Version : The Real T-Mobile PPCPE Update

Janak Parekh
12-21-2002, 03:22 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.t-mobile.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/downloads.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.t-mobile.com/products/ha...c/downloads.asp</a><br /><br /></div>A couple of posters on the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=51910">earlier thread</a> correctly noted that the <i>real</i> ROM update is now available.<br /><br />The update includes, according to the release notes:<br />A. The radio has been upgraded to provide faster data connection speeds ( class 8 ).<br />B. Device freezes caused by T-Mobile applications have been eliminated.<br />C. Incorrect display of the operator name string in certain geographic areas has been eliminated.<br />D. Missed call incidence is significantly reduced.<br />E. Windows Media Player has been upgraded to version 8.5.<br />F. Using the tab key in Pocket Internet Explorer for moving between fields is now supported.<br />G. Updated Microsoft branding for the Today screen and Welcome screen.<br />H. The SMS icon has been removed from the task tray at the bottom of the Today screen.<br /><br />Note that you may need to do a hard reset as part of the update, so be sure to do a backup first.

Gremmie
12-21-2002, 03:37 AM
Some of it reminds me of the EUU3 update.

Janak Parekh
12-21-2002, 03:45 AM
Some of it reminds me of the EUU3 update.
Indeed, it seems that the latest ROM has EUU3 rolled in. :)

--janak

Jason Dunn
12-21-2002, 07:12 AM
If you want to check out Bill Perry's experience with this, look here:

http://www.pocketpcflash.net/articles/

rfischer
12-21-2002, 07:54 AM
I wrote this post from my T-Mobile after completing the ROM upgrade. The connectivity has definately improved! I used the SD Backup and it was flawless as well. :D

Mobile Bob
12-21-2002, 09:03 AM
I wrote this post from my T-Mobile after completing the ROM upgrade. The connectivity has definately improved! I used the SD Backup and it was flawless as well. :D

Same here. Works fine so far. Browsing has definitely improved. :D

Leviathan
12-21-2002, 01:06 PM
This is the best update I've ever seen:

D. Missed call incidence is significantly reduced.

So before was a 9 out of 10, now is just 1 out of 6....... like your phone but don't trust it!!!!

Great, in gray day that defintively put a smile in my face.

Cheers,
Lev

P.S. The remain missing calls will be fixed 'soon' :D

Paragon
12-21-2002, 02:58 PM

After doing a restore have you tried using your phone book? I, and others are getting a fatal error message when doing so. Or did you just do a backup after the upgrade.

Dave

Gremmie
12-21-2002, 03:35 PM
This is the best update I've ever seen:

D. Missed call incidence is significantly reduced.

So before was a 9 out of 10, now is just 1 out of 6....... like your phone but don't trust it!!!!

Great, in gray day that defintively put a smile in my face.

Cheers,
Lev

P.S. The remain missing calls will be fixed 'soon' :D

I didn't realize that people missed those many calls.

Leviathan
12-21-2002, 05:12 PM
I didn't realize that people missed those many calls.

Me either, the numbers I put on are exagereated but I've found a 'significant' number of missed calls on the one we use for test, thought was just a problem of the carrier than the phone itself. I find a bit grotesque that they haven't 'fixed' it but 'significantly reduced' the lost calls problems.

Cheers,
Lev

mty
12-21-2002, 06:09 PM
At the expense of asking the obvious, can one of you wizened old ppc-ers share the exact steps to use to backup and restore data w/this upgrade?

I just installed a whole bunch of apps, mostly on the SD, but I know they park certain items in the device memory as well. Also, I'll be away from my pc for a week so can't rely on that for the PIM restore.

Also curious to see how T-mobile's "helpful" today screen plug-ins work now...maybe better luck on round 2?

Thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks,
MTY

Ed Hansberry
12-21-2002, 06:15 PM
At the expense of asking the obvious, can one of you wizened old ppc-ers share the exact steps to use to backup and restore data w/this upgrade?

As a rule, you should never restore an old ROM/EEU backup file over a new one. Always do a hard reset then rebuild as files and registry entries may be different and can cause problems after upgrading if restored to the new device.

Not sure why the tell you to back your device up. Compaq does the same thing then later tells you to not use the backup. :?

Paragon
12-21-2002, 06:16 PM
mty

I would suggest using an app such as Sprite Backup, or Sunnysoft Backup Manager. You should be able to find both at Handango, or the likes.

Once you have installed one of these apps you can use one of them to backup to your SD card. By doing this you will have the backup with you while you are away. Opposed to doing it to your desktop through avticvsync.

Both apps are very self expanatory as to how to do a backup, or restore.

I would suggest doing a soft reset before backing up to be sure that no applications are running while backing. If so they may not get backed up properly.

Also you may run into some issues doing a restore as has been mentioned before, and Ed has mentioned above.

I did a restore after and am getting an error message when ever I try to access the phone book. I had some other issues with my device before even doing this backup which are still present so I experimented with the restore.

Dave

rfischer
12-21-2002, 06:17 PM
Here's what I did:

1. Close all running programs. Run the SD Backup program on your T-Mobile. It will back up the entire contents of your device to the SD card. Towards the end of the backup, it could not back up cookie or browser cache data, I told it to skip them when prompted. The backup takes a while so be patient. The restore is MUCH faster.

2. Perform the ROM upgrade EXACTLY as instructed by T-Mobile. The instructions contain pictures (nice job T-Mobile). It will Flash the ROM and ask you to do a HARD reset. You will have to unscrew the stylus and insert it into the device.

3. You will wait 60 seconds and do a hard reset again. The device will boot and install the new programs (updates & Media Player 8.5)

4. Run SD Backup and select the restore tab. Do a restore and you are done.

Good luck and be sure to follow T-mobile's instructions and you should not have any problems. :-)

anthonymoody
12-21-2002, 07:47 PM
I was having the phone book problem too after the restore. Here's what I did to (mostly) fix it, courtesy of a post on PocketPCPassion.com...

1) In settings/system/permanent save, tell it to back up and restore your contacts

2) that's it

After I did this, I was able to dial from the contacts list no problem. The only remaining issue that I can find is that the phone book icon in the lower right still gives the error if you click on it. However, the hard button for contacts, and the contacts button on the dialer screen both seem to work fine.

Just for the record, could someone please tell me how to tell which apps and files are on the device as opposed to the memory card? Just in case they figure out a way to uninstall this upgrade, I may do it again and rebuild by reinstalling apps from scratch...

Thanks,
TM

Deralict
12-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Has anyone who uses a carrier other than T-mobile (for instance, Fido in Canada) had success installing this upgrade?

Paragon
12-21-2002, 11:47 PM
Has anyone who uses a carrier other than T-mobile (for instance, Fido in Canada) had success installing this upgrade?

Yes I'm on Rogers. I'm not so sure I can give you any solid feedback, because I have been having some GPRS problems, and I'm unsure what the cause is. I can tell you that it seems unchanged to me.

However I had a Fido SIM card in it for a while today and had no problems connecting first time out. Unfortunetly my device has been acting up randomly so I still can't say for sure that Fido cured the problem.

All I can say is that it has had no ill effects. It does connect quicker now on both Rogers, and Fido. So, I would say it is aquiring the GPRS signal when the phone is turned on.

Dave

yawanag
12-22-2002, 09:26 PM
The only remaining issue that I can find is that the phone book icon in the lower right still gives the error if you click on it.
Mine too. Anyone know how to correct that? Think T-Mobile is aware of it?