View Full Version : Spontaneous IE Failure?

inkfox
12-21-2002, 03:06 AM
Internet Explorer is suddenly not loading pages over my Bluetooth phone's dialup. It doesn't cause it to dial, and if I connect manually, it won't load pages. It only flashes the loading animation, but stays on the current (local file) page.

Other Internet apps work correctly.

I've compared notes with another user, and we've got nothing in common, save the Bluetooth.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I've an IPAQ 3975. Any clue where to start looking?

Pony99CA
12-21-2002, 05:33 AM
Internet Explorer is suddenly not loading pages over my Bluetooth phone's dialup. It doesn't cause it to dial, and if I connect manually, it won't load pages. It only flashes the loading animation, but stays on the current (local file) page.

I've compared notes with another user, and we've got nothing in common, save the Bluetooth.

Is the other user the one in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6143)? Probably not, as you said he has Bluetooth, but the problem sounds similar.

Steve

inkfox
12-21-2002, 05:35 AM
Is the other user the one in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6143)? The problem sounds similar.

Steve

Yep! I'll leave further responses to that thread.

Paragon
12-21-2002, 05:39 AM

On your PPC try going to windows/welcome.exe tap it and you will be taken to the welcome screen as if you had just done a hard rest, without having done one. This process somehow seems to reaquire Internet Explorer. It should at least fix the problem of not going anywhere. I have no idea what effect it will have on your Bluetooth connection, but I'm willing to bet it will fix that as well.

Dave

inkfox
12-21-2002, 05:42 AM

On your PPC try going to windows/welcome.exe tap it and you will be taken to the welcome screen as if you had just done a hard rest, without having done one. This process somehow seems to reaquire Internet Explorer. It should at least fix the problem of not going anywhere. I have no idea what effect it will have on your Bluetooth connection, but I'm willing to bet it will fix that as well.

Dave

You, sir Dave, are the reason the Internet was created.

That did it. And also -- YOU ROCK! :D

Paragon
12-21-2002, 05:46 AM
Thank you..... :)

Glad it worked. Neat little trick eh!

Dave

Pony99CA
12-22-2002, 04:05 PM
On your PPC try going to windows/welcome.exe tap it and you will be taken to the welcome screen as if you had just done a hard rest, without having done one. This process somehow seems to reaquire Internet Explorer.

Ah, yes, that problem. :-) In another thread, we determined that deleting the CMMapG, CMMapP and/or GCounterFile.mmf files in the My Device folder can cause Pocket Interent Explorer to fail.

Running the Welcome program replaces those files.

I wondered why Microsoft didn't put those files in the Windows folder. They are marked Hidden, but I always choose to display hidden files.

Steve

Paragon
12-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Cool.

I thought I had checked that. I guess I hadn't. Thanks for the info.

Dave