View Full Version : DirectX 9 Released

Jason Dunn
12-20-2002, 04:42 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=51608b06-ae0d-4652-b9a0-eae0aa6ae6d7&displaylang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en</a><br /><br /></div>I know we're all OS junkies here, so this one should interest most of you.<br /><br />"Microsoft DirectX is a group of technologies designed to make Windows-based computers an ideal platform for running and displaying applications rich in multimedia elements such as full-color graphics, video, 3D animation, and rich audio. DirectX 9.0 includes security and performance updates, along with many new features across all technologies, which can be accessed by applications using the DirectX 9.0 APIs."

Sheynk
12-20-2002, 04:45 AM
WAYYYY ahead of ya...I got already

Yes its true I have no life :lol:

Fzara
12-20-2002, 06:23 AM
Does this mean that DirectX9.0 could make WarcraftIII and Unreal Tournament 2003 run more smoother on my Geforce4 440 64mb GO, in my Inspiron 8200 laptop? (I bought it August)

Jason Dunn
12-20-2002, 06:44 AM
WAYYYY ahead of ya...I got already

Well why the heck didn't you tell us about it? :wink: :lol:

helloboys
12-20-2002, 08:00 AM
They seemed to have pulled the download. I guess it's not quite time for release yet.

IanG
12-20-2002, 09:55 AM
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/2/3/22371837-c4dc-4f8b-af21-00c80d8b235c/dxwebsetup.exe

You can start the download from that link - the other one isn't working right now.

sweetpete
12-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Does this mean that DirectX9.0 could make WarcraftIII and Unreal Tournament 2003 run more smoother on my Geforce4 440 64mb GO, in my Inspiron 8200 laptop? (I bought it August)

Not really, both the game and video card drivers would have to support DirectX 9 and neither of those do.
The first video card to support DirectX 9 is the ATI Radeon 9700 and 9500 video cards (expect a final release driver from ATI any day now). No games take advantage of this yet, but you should see some things out in the next 6 months that will. :lol:

Rudolf
12-20-2002, 03:15 PM

Not really, both the game and video card drivers would have to support DirectX 9 and neither of those do.
The first video card to support DirectX 9 is the ATI Radeon 9700 and 9500 video cards (expect a final release driver from ATI any day now). No games take advantage of this yet, but you should see some things out in the next 6 months that will. :lol:

nVidia has updated it's diver to 4.x recently. Even if the videocard itself does not support special features for DX6, you might get performance increase with the new driver and the new DirectX version. Howeve there is no guarantee...

cpoole
12-20-2002, 04:24 PM
How many remember the big stink when Microsoft announced Direct X? Diehard gamers swore that they were not interested in running crappy windows that would only slow down their games. That was also the days when it took hours or days to get a game to properly install, congifure and run. :roll: I still have a couple of games sitting in a box in the garage that I never could get to install and run.

Microsoft takes lots of knocks about the way they do business but Direct X has to be one of the best things they did for the average gamer. Sure, some games still have problems installing, but that is usually the exception than the rule.

Janak Parekh
12-20-2002, 04:56 PM
Microsoft takes lots of knocks about the way they do business but Direct X has to be one of the best things they did for the average gamer. Sure, some games still have problems installing, but that is usually the exception than the rule.
True, but it really took until DirectX 3 before it started taking off. I distinctly remember DX2 being one of the buggiest of the bunch.

Also, Microsoft didn't help their own cause by not implementing anything past DX3 in NT, and no D3D acceleration. OpenGL was your only choice in NT4.

Old memories...

--janak

Chairman Clench
12-20-2002, 10:21 PM
True, but it really took until DirectX 3 before it started taking off. I distinctly remember DX2 being one of the buggiest of the bunch.

I guess the axiom, "Never buy/use a Microsoft product until the 3rd generation" holds true after all.

:D