View Full Version : Caller ID Problem?

gareth
12-19-2002, 06:06 PM
OK - so I've found and installed the SMS fix, is there something similar which can help out with my caller ID :?:

When the phone rings on my XDA, all I get is the number calling...

When I check the call log afterwards, I can see the caller's details...

..but it means I can't decide whether to answer the call or not :wink:

Monty Gibson
12-19-2002, 06:21 PM
OK - so I've found and installed the SMS fix, is there something similar which can help out with my caller ID :?:

Did you import your contacts over from your SIM card into PocketOutlook? When your phone rings the name(s) should show up automatically, unless you have callerID turned off or if it isn't offered with your plan or calling area.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

JonnoB
12-19-2002, 06:25 PM
There is even an application that will display a picture of the person who is calling. See this thread (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19159)over at Pocket PC Passion.

Monty Gibson
12-19-2002, 06:29 PM
There is even an application that will display a picture of the person who is calling. See this thread (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19159)over at Pocket PC Passion.

Yes, but callerID for the phone is automatic. This program is just a supplement to the callerID feature by posting a photograph along with the number. I; for one, know who is calling me by having the names and the numbers of the people calling me programmed into my phone. I don't need to see them :?: seems strange to me to have this option. :|.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

frzamilan
12-19-2002, 09:37 PM
I have the v2r picture to phone and the sms fix installed on my device and somewhere along the way I lost the capability to see the details of the person that was calling. As mentioned in the a previous post, all I get is the number of the person calling.

I would appreciate any feedback as well

gareth
12-20-2002, 09:59 AM
Did you import your contacts over from your SIM card into PocketOutlook? When your phone rings the name(s) should show up automatically, unless you have callerID turned off or if it isn't offered with your plan or calling area.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

There were no contacts on the SIM when I got it, so everything has been entered into my contacts list.

Caller ID is standard across all UK networks, so either it's a software problem, or I've got Caller ID turned off.

I didn't know you could turn it off.

So how do I turn it back on? :?

Monty Gibson
12-20-2002, 01:05 PM

Take care,
Monty Gibson

There were no contacts on the SIM when I got it, so everything has been entered into my contacts list.

Caller ID is standard across all UK networks, so either it's a software problem, or I've got Caller ID turned off.

I didn't know you could turn it off.

So how do I turn it back on? :?

I don't know if having CallerID turned off is the answer. It seems as if another gentlemen is having trouble as well :?. But to check to see if CallerID is on or off on your network you need to call your service provider. The only Caller ID settings you can do with the PPCPE is to either choose whether or not you want to send your ID to someone when you call. I think I would uninstall those programs; do a soft reset, and see if that works. Have you tried that yet?

Take care,
Monty Gibson

Monty Gibson
12-20-2002, 01:12 PM

Can you give me these links so that I can download these programs; install them on my PPCPE and see if the same happens for me? if so, I can assist you better.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

gareth
12-20-2002, 02:28 PM
My Caller ID problem seems to be sporadic - I tested it a few times today, and the numbers and names came up.

The problem tends to happen only with people calling from mobiles.

I don't think that it's the way I've stored the numbers either, as they are all in international format with no gaps (which can make it very hard to look up a phone number so that I can call it from my desk phone :wink: )

I don't have any call-related additional software - I haven't progressed that far.

Maybe if I got some...

Monty Gibson
12-20-2002, 05:17 PM
My Caller ID problem seems to be sporadic - I tested it a few times today, and the numbers and names came up.

I don't think that it's the way I've stored the numbers either, as they are all in international format with no gaps (which can make it very hard to look up a phone number so that I can call it from my desk phone :wink: )

I don't have any call-related additional software - I haven't progressed that far.

Maybe if I got some...

I know that some mobile phones can programmed not to elicit their information. I don't know if this is what's happening but I have installed all the software that has been mentioned and it's working perfectly for me. I've had everyone I know of inside and outside of the U.S. call me with and without International numbers and it's working perfectly. Perhaps these people whom you're not getting information from have their Caller Information blocked so that you cannot see it. I don't know.

JonnoB
12-20-2002, 05:49 PM

Where I live (California - USA) mobile phones do not send CallerID names, only numbers. Perhaps this is true in your location as well.

gareth
12-20-2002, 05:54 PM

Where I live (California - USA) mobile phones do not send CallerID names, only numbers. Perhaps this is true in your location as well.

Surely the match is made in the phone, not over the network?

(The phone takes the number which is broadcast and then compares the number with the contacts list and returns the match to the screen)