View Full Version : More Neonode Gossip

Andy Sjostrom
12-19-2002, 09:44 AM
<a href="http://www.neonode.com/">http://www.neonode.com/</a><br /><br />Neonode has quickly become the hyped mobile device maker in Sweden but I am still not sure whether their device Neonode N1 is "for real" or not. According to Neonode, production has started and devices will be available on 4th of February. Their 3G WCDMA version will be launched late 2003, they say. infoSync has a <a href="http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2811.html">nice article</a> about it and using the word "secretive" about the company, infoSync seems to agree with my scepticism. Real or not, Neonode says their Neonode N1 is based on Windows CE .NET 4.1 and does not use Microsoft's Smartphone 2002 shell but their own "NeoShell". However, they say that they will also build phones based on the Smartphone 2002 shell. Check out Neonode on <a href="http://qstream-31.qbrick.com/00564/021211_eko.wmv">Swedish national TV</a> (go 3 mins into the media file to see start of interview and 4.15 mins to see the device). So far, I have been unsuccessful in getting a Pocket PC Thoughts exclusive but I am working on it.<br /><br />Read on for more specs from Neonode! <!><br />GSM features: <br />GSM dual band mode 900/1800 MHz or 900/1900 MHz (US). GPRS Class 10. SIM card can be accessed without removing the battery. <br /><br />Operating system: <br />Windows CE.NET version 4.1 running our own shell called "neoshell". We do not use Pocket PC or Smartphone 2002. Pocket PC use a minimum 240x320 pixel resolution and Smartphone 2002 requires a numerical keypad. <br /><br />CPU: <br />96 MHz ARM 7 <br /><br />Display: <br />2.2" TFT LCD with 262140 colors (18 bit mode), 65535 colors (16 bit mode), 70 Hz frame rate, 176 (H)x 220 (V) pixels, 96 kb video ram. Touch screen with 4 navigation keys + YES and NO (Power on/off) buttons. <br /><br />Memory: <br />16 Mb SDRAM, 73 MHz, 64 MB SD-Card included in price. Avaliable today: 512 MB. <br /><br />Camera: <br />Built in camera with 640 x 480 pixels and 16M colors. QQVGA(160x120)/QVGA(320x240) and VGA mode(640x480). Continous recording 160x120 pixels at 15 frames per second to SDCard. <br /><br />Audio: <br />Built in 1W speaker (for ring tones, conference calls etc) and receiver and microphone (for GSM talk). Built in connector for a stereo headset and microphone. <br /><br />Audio Codec: <br />48/44/22/11 or 8 Khz, sampling rate, 8 or 16 bit stereo or mono. Mixer for GSM audio(input and output) and internal audio stream(input and output). <br /><br />Communication: <br /><br />12 Mbit USB Host function capable of 100mA/5V output to low power devices such as mouses, keyboards, joysticks.. <br /><br />12 Mbit USB Function communicating with PC or other Host simulating a serial port up to 12 MBit/sec (appears as a COM10 on PC). This port can also be used for Microsoft Acivesync 3.6. <br /><br />115k, 1,1M and 4 Mbit multi mode IRDA port (This port can be used for Microsoft Activesync 3.6) <br /><br />Remote Control Ir function for 36-44 KHz modulation mode simulating a TV Remote control up to 10 m. <br /><br />Battery: 1100 mAh, 3.7V. Charge-time 2.5 hrs <br /><br />Operating parameters: <br />Operating up to 10 hours for games/mp3 (Radio in standby), Talk time 4 hours and standby time up to 250 hours. <br /><br />Size: <br />88x52x21 Weight: 93 g <br /><br />Software: <br />Camera, Mediaplayer, File Manager, Address book, notepad, SMS, MMS, WAP-Browser, E-mail, Internet Explorer

ausindo
12-19-2002, 11:31 AM
I REALLY WANT THIS! I WANT IT, SANTA I WANT THIS FOR MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT *SANTA TALKS* YEAH I KNOW ITS GONNA COME OUT IN FEB, BUT CAN'T YOU JUST MAKE ONE OUT OF THIN AIR? *SANTA KNOWS HE CAN'T AND EXPLAINS SOMETHING ELSE* PFFT... NO WONDER WHY NO ONE BELIEVES IN YOU

sorry people, just had a vision wont happen again
still i wouldnt mind getting it

JMountford
12-19-2002, 04:11 PM
Is this Neonode or Vapor Node? Sounds like a lot of stuff for such a little device to do and have.

I have come to think the more a company hypes their device before there is production, the more likely it is the said device will never exist.
eg. Sendo. The companies with truly great devices keep them secret as long as possible eg. everyone else....Dell, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony Ericson, etc.

Andy Sjostrom
12-19-2002, 04:13 PM
I agree. My guess is that need of funding is what drives hype making.

TrojanUO
12-19-2002, 06:03 PM
Is this Neonode or Vapor Node? Sounds like a lot of stuff for such a little device to do and have.

I have come to think the more a company hypes their device before there is production, the more likely it is the said device will never exist.
eg. Sendo. The companies with truly great devices keep them secret as long as possible eg. everyone else....Dell, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony Ericson, etc.

They say they'll be in stores in a month and a half. February 4th.

Like you've never heard of a Samsung or Sony or Nokia or Palm, of HP device before it showed up in stores? It's not like they're hyping a device that won't be available until February 2004, it's less than a month and a half away.