View Full Version : Memory question/clarification

bgate
12-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Hi,

Being new to the PPC world, I need a little clarification on a memory issue. When going to Settings>Memory>Storage card, I have two options-Built-in Storage and SD Card. SD Card I understand. Built-in I do not. Is this "excess" ROM? It states that 0.00MB is in use and 21.24MB is free. Assuming that this is available, why can't I access it when installing programs?

Thanks,
Brent

JonnoB
12-18-2002, 07:13 PM
Hi,

Being new to the PPC world, I need a little clarification on a memory issue. When going to Settings>Memory>Storage card, I have two options-Built-in Storage and SD Card. SD Card I understand. Built-in I do not. Is this "excess" ROM? It states that 0.00MB is in use and 21.24MB is free. Assuming that this is available, why can't I access it when installing programs?

Thanks,
Brent

You did not mention what device you have... but most likely it is extra ROM space. You can install to it like you would your SD Card for applications if you turn off the option to auto-install to the default directory from ActiveSync.

bgate
12-18-2002, 07:20 PM
I installed a new program and it was available as an option this time. I know I looked earlier and didn't think it an option. My bad. So it is extra ROM, are there any concerns with "loading up" the ROM? Do any system files ever write to it? And is the ROM impervious to crashes?

BTW-Dell Axim 5 (400)

Thanks,
Brent

Pony99CA
12-18-2002, 08:36 PM

You did not mention what device you have... but most likely it is extra ROM space.
I wondered what device he had, too, but I've now learned to check the Forum Header and saw this was posted in the Dell Pocket PCs area. :-)

Being a Dell, though, you're probably right about it being the extra ROM. I didn't know the advanced Dell had 48 MB ROM (as having 21.24 MB available would imply), but the Axim Web page (http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/topics/segtopic_axim.htm) confirmed that it did.

I thought only the iPAQs had 48 MB ROM, but kudos to Dell.

Steve

robert_biggs
12-18-2002, 09:25 PM
I also have the Axim X5 400mHz. The Built-in storage is in fact extra ROM that the OS doesn't use. It works the same as RAM or SD memory in regards to storing and running programs. I installed Age of Empires demo in the Built-in storage and it runs flawlessly. The good thing about storing data in ROM is it dosen't erase if you hard-reset your PPC. The bad things is that you won't be able to access programs after erasing RAM without first doing a file search for the program execution file (it dosen't show up in the program folder any longer and isn't listed under "Remove programs"). I am hoping this can be remedied by making a backup file of the RAM using ActiveSync. If anyone knows if this works, please post.

Pony99CA
12-22-2002, 10:37 AM
I also have the Axim X5 400mHz. The Built-in storage is in fact extra ROM that the OS doesn't use. It works the same as RAM or SD memory in regards to storing and running programs. I installed Age of Empires demo in the Built-in storage and it runs flawlessly. The good thing about storing data in ROM is it dosen't erase if you hard-reset your PPC. The bad things is that you won't be able to access programs after erasing RAM without first doing a file search for the program execution file (it dosen't show up in the program folder any longer and isn't listed under "Remove programs"). I am hoping this can be remedied by making a backup file of the RAM using ActiveSync. If anyone knows if this works, please post.
The first issue is fairly easy to fix. Use a file browser and copy the application, then paste a shortcut into the Start Menu folder.

However, you could run into serious problems. If the program stored anything in the registry (and they almost all do, if only the Remove Programs information), a hard reset will erase that, and when you try to execute the program after the hard reset, it could crash. You'll end up having to reinstall it anyway.

If you can back the registry up to external memory, you might be able to work around that issue, but that requires more skill than your average user has, I suspect. The PHM Registry Editor (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/) has backup capability.

Given those issues, the User ROM is best used for data files.

Steve

Fzara
12-29-2002, 11:12 PM
The Built-In Storage, ROM, takes a noticeably long time to copy and write to. Im currently copying an mp3, and it takes a good minute or two to copy the full mp3.

I dont suggest using the Built-in ROM frequently, and for larger than normal files.

Pugnax
12-31-2002, 01:08 AM
While we are on the subject fo memory, I just can't seem to find any form of reference detailing the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 CF cards, i.e. which is better, faster, more standardized. 8O

Any links, directions, or comments will be great. 8)

ultimate_ed
12-31-2002, 04:10 AM
In terms of form factor, I don't think there is such a think as a type II CF card. The type I and II come from the sizes of the PCMCIA interface that the CF card is based on. Type II devices are usually things like the IBM Microdrive, or some type of expansion/connection device like a modem or network adapter.

I'm pretty sure all CF cards, based on the thickness, are going to be type I.

Pony99CA
12-31-2002, 10:24 AM
In terms of form factor, I don't think there is such a think as a type II CF card. The type I and II come from the sizes of the PCMCIA interface that the CF card is based on. Type II devices are usually things like the IBM Microdrive, or some type of expansion/connection device like a modem or network adapter.

I'm pretty sure all CF cards, based on the thickness, are going to be type I.
I think the only difference between the two CF formats is thickness. Type II cards are 1.5-2 mm thicker than Type I cards (5 or 5.5 mm vs. 3.5 mm). Here's a Q&A about CF devices (http://www.supermediastore.com/answerflash.html). Here's a table comparing some card formats from the PCMCIA Web site (http://www.pcmcia.org/faq.htm#small). The two sites disagree about the height of Type II cards, but that's about all.

The Jornada 56x Pocket PCs had a Type I slot, I believe, and could still handle non-memory (I/O) cards.

Steve

Janak Parekh
12-31-2002, 05:13 PM
Steve's answer is correct. Let me also add that there definitely are type II memory cards; my friend has a 1GB type II card, as it was cheaper at the time to use more memory chips in the card.

The type is only thickness (and perhaps maximum power draw). There are a scattering of peripherals in both type I and II flavors.

--janak

Pugnax
12-31-2002, 05:35 PM
I had just noticed that the Type II Cf cards seemed a tiny bit more expensive for memory and was curious if there was a benefit. Looks like there is not.

Thanks Everyone!
:D

tucker26
01-06-2003, 01:13 AM
Hi,

Thanks,
Brent
I have never selected built in storage for anything, however it seems Mazingo automatically uses 1-3MB of built in memory on my axim(400). Is this normal? or did I inadvertantly change something in my settings. This concerns me since I've had to reset more than normal lately.