View Full Version : SD or CF for mp3s

Delta00
12-18-2002, 04:40 AM
Well I ordered my Toshiba e740 the other day off of amazon and it should get her around the 22nd. I wnat to get like 128MB of CF or SD for my mp3s. Is one or the other better for mp3s? thanksssssss

Sheynk
12-18-2002, 04:42 AM
Well, since you have a choice, CF will provide you with more space per dollar than SD would

Delta737
12-18-2002, 06:25 AM
I agree with Sheynk. Although, if you want add-on (like GPS, Radio, Bluetooth, WiFi) you got to have a spare CF slot, because most add-ons are CF only, and the SD memory card would be the best choice. But if you don't want any of these add-ons, go for the CF card

Kati Compton
12-18-2002, 06:52 AM
I agree with Sheynk. Although, if you want add-on (like GPS, Radio, Bluetooth, WiFi) you got to have a spare CF slot, because most add-ons are CF only, and the SD memory card would be the best choice. But if you don't want any of these add-ons, go for the CF card

Or if you know that you probably won't use the wireless while listening to MP3's...

ironguy
12-18-2002, 10:21 AM
My friend, Frank, put the mp3s on his SD card. They stuttered, maybe due to the digital security. When he moved them to CF they worked fine.

Just one man's observations...

jizmo
12-18-2002, 12:24 PM
My friend, Frank, put the mp3s on his SD card. They stuttered, maybe due to the digital security. When he moved them to CF they worked fine.

SD cards perform a bit slower than CF-cards, but they shouldn't perform that bad. I'd suggest adding a second or two the play buffer.

As said earlier, CF cards are cheaper per megabyte, but SD card prices have come down a lot. It seems that SD card is the way that progress is going today, so SD card will propably be usable for a longer period of time, althougt CF cards come more handy just now.

If you have bought your PPC to show off to other people (as many of us have :wink: ), then SD card is naturally cooler thing to have as it's that much smaller. 8)

/jizmo

Janak Parekh
12-18-2002, 05:28 PM
If it was a Compaq 3800-series iPaq, that's the explanation. They have very, very slow SD performance.

Most modern devices (including my desktop reader) read SD's just about as fast as CF's (and are capable of much more than just 128Kbps).

--janak

Delta737
12-18-2002, 08:40 PM

Or if you know that you probably won't use the wireless while listening to MP3's...

Well, ok, you might not be doing that at the same time. But you won't have to change the cards everytime(or always take the other card with you). So if you will use one of the CF add-ons, I still think an SD Card will be the better choice...

jzdziarski
12-19-2002, 04:58 AM
You can always get an SD->CF adapter but not vice-versa...and if you're into square footage you can fit more SD's in your leather case than CF's, so unless you're on a budget, splurge and get SD. The 3800's are slow on SD, but I have a 3800 and have no problems playing MP3's (using withMP3). You'll probably be forced to upgrade soon anyway by either HP or M$.

Gremmie
12-19-2002, 05:36 AM
I'd say SD, like said before, you can get an adapter. Also, CF is one of those slots where you constantly swap whereas SD is nice to leave be.

jzdziarski
12-19-2002, 06:10 AM
I haven't thought about this, but I would think CF might require slightly more battery consumption, no?

Gremmie
12-19-2002, 06:36 AM
Both are 3.3 volt right?

jzdziarski
12-19-2002, 06:55 AM
I don't believe voltage is related, aren't WiFi cards also 3.3v? Yet they have more draw (ameres, or maH in this case). I don't know enough about electrical engineering to know for sure, but most CF cards I've seen drain the battery quickly which is why some of the new iPaq sleeves come with another battery....again, I don't know if this would apply to a CF memory card though...definitely a microdrive.