View Full Version : Access Point vs Wireless Router

LAVA
12-17-2002, 09:28 AM
I am going to ask a very stupid question. I am very familiar with networks, wireless, and the pocketpc. However, I have not yet been able to find the answer to one simple question.

I am currently using an Internet connection that does not use a standard cable/DSL router (2 way Internet satellite). The wired network has already been established by using a proxy server on my network to access the Internet. The only purpose that the wireless network will serve is to connect two PocketPCs (my wife's Casio E-125 and my HP Jornada 568) to the Internet through the proxy server. Because of the prices breaks on Wireless Routers, I would like to buy one of these instead of an access point (specifically the Netgear MR814). This will also provide support for my network in the future if a Cable/DSL connection becomes available.

And now, the stupid question.
:?: Can I use a wireless router without using it as an internet router (i.e. just as a standard access point)? :?:

I realize that this may be a forgone conclusion for some, but I hate to buy a piece of hardware that I can't use.

All of the above information may have been overkill, but I guess to much information is better than to little.

Thanks in advance for any assitance.
LAVA

AirTimid
12-17-2002, 03:23 PM
Not sure about the netgear product, but I believe Linksys has a router/access point device. I think during the setup, you configure it to be either a router or an access point. Hope this helps.

JonnoB
12-17-2002, 04:24 PM
You can use the NetGear router... but you may need to put it on the inside of your Sattelite network... having it connect through ICS or something. IF that is the case, it defeats the usefullness of the router function of the 814.

Jorgen
12-17-2002, 04:50 PM
I used my d-link di-713p as a LAN and WLAN hub without problems. One of my computers connected to the Internet, first via dialup and a week or so later via USB-ADSL - all computers + my PPC then used the Internet through that computer via a proxy server. A couple of weeks later, I got my present LAN based ADSL modem which conencts to the WAN port on the 713p.

Jorgen