View Full Version : iPaq 1910 Complaint..rrrggghh!!

rabidcat
12-17-2002, 01:40 AM
Hey everyone, I recently acquire the 1910 and need to bitch a little. :)

Oh, background: I started with the V35 but every computer I tried failed to recognize the darn thing, so back it went. This was a few days ago, and both Amazon and Viewsonic were out of stock and couldn't ship a replacement till the end of the month (or so they said). So I stopped at Best Buy and figured I'd give the 1910 a try ($50 rebate..not bad).

The 1910 has a 2.55 headpone jack. Fine, it's annoying but at least it comes with some earbuds. Here's my complaint: The jack itself is set a few millimeters below the top surface of the unit, making it impossible to use an adapter for 3.5 mm headphones (at least no adapter I've found). Why would HP do this?!? Is it simply poor design? Are they attempting to corner the market on cheap earbuds? Granted, it's not a big complaint. Just one of those things that make you wonder. It wouldn't matter that much, except one of the major reasons I decided to purchase a pocket pc was the ability to listen to MP3s.

Incidentally, this morning I called Amazon (MUCH more convenient than e-mailing them :wink: ) to confirm they had received my returned V35. I explained what the problem was and the service rep offered to overnight a replacement. Guess they got their stock in. So hopefully by Thursday I'll be able to compare a (working) V35 and 1910 side by side, and make a decision on which to keep.

Honestly I didn't notice much difference in the screens. The V35 was noticeably faster (even on such things as opening menues). The 1910 does have an advantage in the looks department, but the directional pad is almost too small to be of any use at all (at least if you've got normal size hands). That, plus the headphone jack issue, plus no SDIO, maybe it'll be the V35 after all...

DeskDog
12-17-2002, 06:54 AM
I found an adapter at Radio Shack (Stereo mini plug to stereo micro-mini plug) which works fine in the 1910. I'm not a huge fan of ear buds, but the ones that came with the 1910 aren't too bad. I don't know what adapters you have tried, but this one is a bit over an inch long and the case doesn't interfere with it.

I got tubed by Amazon on my V35 delivery (bumped to 1/23) so I picked up a 1910 at Staples and I love it. I'm not what you would probably call a power user, and the size is the most refreshing thing about it. It's nice to finally have a PPC that has a true Palm-type form factor. I can live without the SDIO, and I did see a difference in the screen vs the V35, but I guess there is some variability in any of these puppies.

Good luck with your decision.

rabidcat
12-17-2002, 07:18 AM
Hmmmm, maybe I went to the wrong radio shack. I'm not a fan of earbuds either, and I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of the high end 'in ear' type buds. Mostly out of curiosity. But who knows, maybe there will be a real improvement in sound.

I will admit the 1910's size is its big advantage. I don't mind the size of V35 tho, which is not even that much bigger than the 1910. I will have to compare the screens, side by side this time.

jizmo
12-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Are there any 1910 benchmarks around yet? I'm just dying to know, how it performes against other XScales.

Oh, it's my hundreth post, by the way :bday:

/jizmo