View Full Version : PocketMVP: Updated PocketDivX

Janak Parekh
12-16-2002, 10:12 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketmvp.com' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketmvp.com</a><br /><br /></div>The latest alpha of PocketDivX is <a href="http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/release.html">out</a>. If you're willing to deal with a little bit of instability, the recent alphas sport a host of new features, including: <li> Previous track navigation<br /><li> Some DivX 5.0 features<br /><li> Decoder plugin support<br /><li> <a href="http://www.vorbis.com">Ogg Vorbis</a> support<br /><li> Skin support<br /> Most importantly, they now have a new name - <b>PocketMVP</b>, for Pocket Music and Video Player. A much better name in my opinion.

kagayaki1
12-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Excellent development. I almost forgot they had stopped work on this project. I hope this fixes some of the minor troubles I was having with 0.8 release.

For those of you who don't use PocketDivX, you really should take a couple days to read up on it. Once you get it down, there's no going back.

-Jason

Robotbeat
12-16-2002, 11:21 PM
I'm a big fan of PDivx... I mean PMVP. I have been using it since .8 first came out (which is a long time ago, as you can see it is in it's 13th public alpha release (.8m) since then.). I use it with my e115 and it works great! It works a heck of a lot better on my 3635 iPAQ, though.

This program is awesome. When all the bugs are worked out for the .9 release, I would definitely say it is worth anyone's time to download, unless you use WMA files.

yunez
12-17-2002, 12:07 AM
the download link is down..

JonnoB
12-17-2002, 12:27 AM
the download link is down..

If it was down, it is ok now.....

sponge
12-17-2002, 01:31 AM
Very cool, got the latest version.. don't like the name change though. No clue what it does by the name.

yunez
12-17-2002, 02:07 AM
the pocketpc2002 link is down.

http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/kits/PocketPC2002.zip

Janak Parekh
12-17-2002, 03:39 AM
Where'd you see the PPC 2000 link? All I see is http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/kits/PocketPC.zip, for all Pocket PC's.

--janak

jizmo
12-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Ogg Vorbis player is just a fabulous thing to have. 64kbps OGG nowadays rivals 128kbps MP3 easily. And when it comes to comparing to WMA, it beats it hands down as it doesn't produce the same kind of metallic artifacts and hisses.

Gee whizz .. I was afraid they'd stop developing the player, as they promised year ago, they'd look into implementing OGG into it. I'm really glad that they did.

/jizmo

Chris Forsberg
12-17-2002, 01:02 PM
don't like the name change though. No clue what it does by the name.

Me neither, the name sounds like someone (small) you can carry with you that answer posts in newsgroups ;-)

jizmo
12-17-2002, 01:56 PM
Is it just me, or is someone other getting bored with this Pocket -pattern? Even the "CE" kind of addition after the actual name sounds better.

If I see one more program, that starts with "pocket", I'm going to scream. And it seems like I'm going to do lots of screaming in the future. :roll:

/jizmo

JonnoB
12-17-2002, 04:06 PM
don't like the name change though. No clue what it does by the name.

Me neither, the name sounds like someone (small) you can carry with you that answer posts in newsgroups ;-)

I thought at first it was a cool tech support tool. In your pocket ready to answer your difficult Microsoft related questions.

Kati Compton
12-17-2002, 04:18 PM

I think it sounds like a doll of a sports player.

"Hey! I've got the MVP of 2002 in my pocket!"

CR
12-17-2002, 04:49 PM
Development never actually stopped. That was posted on April 1st I believe. It was just a joke. Development has been fairly steady as you can see by the latest version letter "M".

Anyways, there are some great improvements in the new version, mostly in the areas of playlist support. You can now use you playlist with audio files directly from the player.

Janak Parekh
12-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Hey guys, give the name a break. A lot of people complained when x11amp changed to XMMS, but now no one does either.

I had a heck of a time explaining what PocketDivX was before, especially if people owned those broken DivX DVD-like-with-time-expiration players. :)

--janak

JonnoB
12-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, give the name a break. A lot of people complained when x11amp changed to XMMS, but now no one does either.
I am sure no one is 'complaining' just poking fun.

I had a heck of a time explaining what PocketDivX was before, especially if people owned those broken DivX DVD-like-with-time-expiration players. :)

--janak

Now, that was a nightmare to some folks. I am glad that the format died.

BetaBoy
12-21-2002, 05:13 AM
Thanx to janak for pointing me to this thread...

I am the lead Project Manager for PocketMVP..... the name change was intentional for us to get away from the "DivX" stereotype... especially since we are far beyond that and are concentrating our other development goals on the upcoming 0.9 milestone with support for even more formats (WMA, WMV) as well as increasing our device support too.

As you can see with this relase we dedicated alot of man hours in trying to cleanup the GUI "file>open>skin>" browse to and open c:\programsfiles\pocketMVP\console.pds' add skiinning functionality for 'other' buttons e.g. options, open, zoom, elapsed/remaining time.

We also added substantial documentation 'file>help"

Installation: We are starting to combine the install kits rather then have alot of seperate ones by device because of all the new and upcoming devices in the market. It just makes sense...

On the playlist: You will see the new integrated playlist in the viewport/video windows become more stable over the next few releases as we add further enhancements like drag up, down support as well as ID3 support too.

- Cheers

Dan Marlin
http://www.corecodec.com

BetaBoy
12-21-2002, 04:14 PM
For the two emails I got... yes we are adding plugin support. This is actually going to be two fold and will be out by our .09 milestone release.

PMVP plugin - This will vary in useage but we already have a few planned. Those being:
-- WinLIRC - Remote control via AS
-- TCMP (The Core Media Player) Playlist Server - This will enable you to browse a desktop PC's TCMP playlist and serve the files to the PPC device.

Visual Plugins - This will activate screen visuals similar to WA. We are looking into the best and less resource intensive way for us to do this ATM and this will likely be the last of the two to become live because of the research required to impliment it.

We are already preparing for this in the next release as you will see there will be a 'c:\program files\pocketmvp\plugins' folder as we start testing.

On XScale and IMAGEON
Yes... we did do some work for ATI and have helped them with some code for the IMAGEON updated ROM (e740)... so currently E740's running PocketMVP with the update will perfom better then without it.

We do however feel that XScale might perform even better then IMAGEON based on some early coding, but it still to early to tell. Once the tools come out of beta you will see updates with XScale optimizations (if Intel co-operates with us).

Robotbeat
12-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Cool.

I'm kind of mad at MS and Intel for making their XScale development tools hard to access. It seems kind of silly, if you ask me. Well, not mad, but frustrated.

Oh, well. Back to the projectmayo forums we go!

disconnected
01-22-2003, 06:41 AM
I used Easy CD-DA Extractor to rip a CD to the Ogg format and copied it to my SD card. I can play each track, but I don't know how to create a playlist so the whole album will play. I can see the playlist editor; I just don't know what to do with it. :oops: