View Full Version : Ad-Hoc(kery)?

Janak Parekh
12-16-2002, 09:07 PM
I've seen an increasing number of people on this site (and other sites) wanting to set up wireless networks to link their Pocket PC to their desktop (and, through there, to the Internet), without having to buy a base station. While I recommend the base station route, <i>ad-hoc</i> 802.11b networks are possible, and in fact are quite useful in the appropriate circumstances.<br /><br />Pocket PC Thoughts reader KiLLiN-TiMe came up with two useful links in this regard: <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/bowman/02april08.asp">an introduction to Ad-Hoc networking in XP</a>, and more generally <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/planning/wirelesslan/default.asp">an overview of wireless networking in XP</a>. Check them out if you're interested in doing the same -- while they don't mention Pocket PC's specifically, there's no reason it can't be done between PC's and PPC's as well.<br /><br />Anyone else have other valuable links and/or tips?

johncj
12-16-2002, 10:06 PM
The critical thing here is that Windows XP will bridge your wired network (i.e. cable modem, DSL, or other Internet connection) with your wireless network. If highlighting two entries in the network connections window, right-clicking, and choosing "Bridge Connections" sounds difficult, here is a link to a site that explains the process (with pictures):
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/windows-xp-bridge.asp

Janak Parekh
12-16-2002, 10:08 PM
You don't always want to bridge, actually. If you don't have an Internet router, bridging won't be useful - you actually want it to do routing, which is what Internet Connection Sharing does automatically. Plus the ICS sets up a DHCP server for the wireless subnet.

--janak

TBone
12-16-2002, 11:43 PM
And actually, if you're running something like Windows 2000 or earlier, you can skip the ICS and just run a proxy server to bridge from an ad-hoc network to a wired network or DSL connection. I like Analog X Proxy from analogx.com, personally.

rubberdemon
12-17-2002, 12:41 AM
I tried and tried to get my Pocket PC working in ad Hoc mode with my computer using a pair of Linksys WPC 11 cards, but eventually gave up. It worked fine when I finally got a wireless router/hub but never ad hoc, no matter what I tried... I still don't know if it was me or a hard/software issue.

Now another question to be answered - slightly off topic - do the owners of wireless hotspots like boingo etc. have pocketpc optimized sign in screens? Last time I tried with Wayport there was no way to actually pay and get service with my pocket pc...

Janak Parekh
12-17-2002, 12:43 AM
Now another question to be answered - slightly off topic - do the owners of wireless hotspots like boingo etc. have pocketpc optimized sign in screens? Last time I tried with Wayport there was no way to actually pay and get service with my pocket pc...
I'm pretty sure T-Mobile HotSpot does. They advertise using the iPaq with it...

--janak

johncj
12-17-2002, 02:19 AM
T-mobile's (Starbucks) work fine. I tried their free trial. Regarding bridging vs. Internet Connection Sharing, I strongly prefer bridging. ICS has a lot of issues whereas bridging is dead simple. I am extremely reluctant to advise anyone to hook up directly to their broadband ISP without having a hardware router installed. Out of the box installs of Linksys routers are far better for most users than depending on a broadband ISP and ICS, in my experience.

Tracy Daubenspeck
12-17-2002, 04:57 AM
I set up an adhoc connection between my WinXP PC and my PocketPC using a D-Link CF adaptor and a D-Link USB adaptor. I had good success getting the various drivers set up and networking functioning, however every attempt to get WEP working failed. I finally gave up and just used the unsecured mode. I suppose it was a software issue. That's not a big deal where I live, but I can see it being a problem somewhere else. My final solution was to wait for the day after Thanksgiving sale at Best Buy and get a D-Link Cable/Wireless router, it was only $49 after all the rebates. Now WEP works fine on all my connections.

mattyv
12-25-2002, 06:29 AM
I went to the link that Janak listed in his original post, but it seems I am missing a menu tab in my Wireless Network Connection window. When I right click on my Wireless Network Connection icon I get a window that looks similar to what is show here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/bowman/02april08.asp

except that I have no Wireless networks option. I am using a Xircom Wifi card and it is works fine on my netgear wireless router. I want to get my Toshiba E740 connected via adhoc but missing this menu is killing me.

Janak Parekh
12-25-2002, 07:48 AM
Matt,

The wireless networks is a XP-specific feature, and requires an XP driver. That might be the source of your problem. If you don't have one of the two aforementioned requirements, Xircom should have a control panel that lets you set up an adhoc connection.

--janak

mattyv
12-31-2002, 12:01 AM
Janak,
I tried downloading the latest drivers for my card. Along with drivers came a CEM, LSM, and WECU utilities. One of these utilities has some setting about setting up an adhoc network, but it doesn't follow from the above posted website. Oh well, I guess it would have been too easy if the util just shoped up after downloading the latest drivers....I'm gonna be really pissed however if i have to stick with Infrared though. :roll: