View Full Version : Is bluetooth/wifi nessesary for beaming?

lul1971
12-16-2002, 09:21 AM
Hi
I hope you can help me out. I a am still trying to figure a few thing out obout ppc's.

Okey, I understand that bluetooth/wifi is nessesary if you want to go online wireless or if you wanmt to be able to sync wireless, right? But what about beaming? That is done with infrared light isn't it? And can pcc's, like the Dell which doesn't have bluetooth etc, beam? If you can then what kind of information can you beam? Is it just standard things like contacts or can you beam small or large messages too...or programs?

I hope someone will help me out...I tried a danish forum but noone seemed to be bothered about answering :(

lul (a future ppc owner)

techie
12-16-2002, 09:33 AM
Hi
I hope you can help me out. I a am still trying to figure a few thing out obout ppc's.

Okey, I understand that bluetooth/wifi is nessesary if you want to go online wireless or if you wanmt to be able to sync wireless, right? But what about beaming? That is done with infrared light isn't it? And can pcc's, like the Dell which doesn't have bluetooth etc, beam? If you can then what kind of information can you beam? Is it just standard things like contacts or can you beam small or large messages too...or programs?

I hope someone will help me out...I tried a danish forum but noone seemed to be bothered about answering :(

lul (a future ppc owner)

You are right about bluetooth/wifi.

All PPCs (that I know of) include IR (infra-red).
The OS - PPC 2002 - supports beaming most things, contacts, applications, notes, files etc. Its up to individual applications as to whether they beam their own data from within the app, but you can always just use the file explorer to beam data files.

I dont believe there is a limit to the size you can beam - its probably limited by your patience since beaming is petty slow.

Techie.

KyleC
12-17-2002, 02:30 AM
To find the beaming sender/reciever, just look for a fairly flat, shiny black box or surface on your Pocket PC or Palm. Point two of these at each other, tap-n-hold the thing you want to beam (in most apps) and hit "Beam this" where this is the type of data, like appointment or contact or file. I've tried to explain this as clearly as I can. :D

Sven Johannsen
12-17-2002, 04:45 AM
There are also some third party programs that allow sharing common information via IR between Palms and PPCs. By common I meam things like contacts, calendar entries, things that have comparable uses on both platforms. The third party programs serve as a translator so you could beam your business card to a Palm user and have it show up in his equivalent business card app.

Other files where the file format is the same can also be shared in many cases. Since both PPCs and Palms have pdf readers, you could share pdf files via IR. It would do no goood to try to share a wma or wmv, since nothing on a palm could read those.

One very nice program that adds to the IR capability of the PPC as far as file sharing is Peacemaker Pro by Conduits.