View Full Version : iPaq 5450 turns itself on for no reason?

umichboy
12-16-2002, 08:51 AM
I'm new to the Pocket PC thing... I have an iPaq 5450 and it seems to turn itself on every once in a while. Is there any reason this would happen by default? I don't even have much software installed. Just Battery Pack 2002, Simple Call, and two games.

It makes the activesync connect sound when it turns on, even if it's not in the cradle. I turned off all the scheduling features of activesync. Or did I miss something? I told the iPaq and PC not to schedule syncing, but only to use manual sync.

Steven Cedrone
12-16-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm new to the Pocket PC thing... I have an iPaq 5450 and it seems to turn itself on every once in a while. Is there any reason this would happen by default? I don't even have much software installed. Just Battery Pack 2002, Simple Call, and two games.

It makes the activesync connect sound when it turns on, even if it's not in the cradle. I turned off all the scheduling features of activesync. Or did I miss something? I told the iPaq and PC not to schedule syncing, but only to use manual sync.

All Pocket PC devices turn on at midnight. Is this what you are referring to?

Steve

Janak Parekh
12-16-2002, 04:27 PM
It could be what Steve said, or it could be ActiveSync being stupid. Go to Options on ActiveSync (on the PPC), go to the Schedule tab, and make sure everything is unchecked.

Seems counterintuitive, but otherwise your PPC will wake up a few minutes after undocking it.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
12-16-2002, 04:27 PM
With it out of the cradle (not connected; guess I have to specify that too), on the tools menu in Active Sync on the device, look at the second two tabs. Server and Schedule I believe. Particularly check schedule to see if it is set to sync every so often. Seems this is a default, even the syncing with a server is fairly uncommon.

umichboy
12-16-2002, 09:47 PM
Ok, I've unchecked everything on that tab. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow I guess. Thanks for the advice.

umichboy
12-16-2002, 11:53 PM
The sucker still turns itself on. Rats.

Janak Parekh
12-17-2002, 12:07 AM
Did you keep track of what programs are running when this happens?

--janak

umichboy
12-17-2002, 12:25 AM
Internet Explorer, ActiveSync, Bluetooth manager, Calendar. I've stopped them all and will see if it happens again.

CESkins
12-17-2002, 01:49 AM
Part of the problem may be ActiveSync running as a hidden app even though the PDA is not in the cradle and the connection has been severed. Same thing you complain about umichboy happens from time to time with my HP 568. What I do now is terminate ActiveSync using the HP task switcher (otherwise ActiveSync remains running invisibly in the background and my PDA spontaneously turns on for no good reason).

Janak Parekh
12-17-2002, 03:52 AM
Part of the problem may be ActiveSync running as a hidden app even though the PDA is not in the cradle and the connection has been severed.
I have ActiveSync running in the background all the time, visible to iTask, and it's never caused my 3870 to turn on (after I turned off the server schedule settings). But it's not a bad debugging step in either case.

It might need a soft-reset, though, after you change those settings or something. In any case, let us know.

--janak